What's new

mediumaevum

Not many comments in critique threads anymore, so I'll give do my part:

I like the melodic and harmonic progression, and it sounds very much like a John Williams build-up.

Though I miss some more "depth" in terms of more instruments. Right now it sounds more like a chamber piece, than an actual movie score.

With your very good composing skills, you should try developing a theme that evolves, from a single instrument into full orchestration - with this theme as the fully orchestrated movement.

OP
Duncan Formosa

Duncan Formosa

Not many comments in critique threads anymore, so I'll give do my part:

I like the melodic and harmonic progression, and it sounds very much like a John Williams build-up.

Though I miss some more "depth" in terms of more instruments. Right now it sounds more like a chamber piece, than an actual movie score.

With your very good composing skills, you should try developing a theme that evolves, from a single instrument into full orchestration - with this theme as the fully orchestrated movement.
Thank you for the feedback!

I'm still trying to get my composing chops together so I'm trying to put one piece out a month. I think the piece I'm working on does what you say but we shall see once I finally finish it!

nyxl

Really great composition, has a nice structure and some twists to keep things interesting! I especially like the middle part. I mainly see room for improvement in the sound and usage of libraries, but maybe you're also limited by your libraries there. For example, the short repetition in the beginning sound a bit mechanical to me. The strings around 0:57 and 1:01 get too quiet too quickly for my taste. Strings could be a bit louder in general for me, but maybe that's just personal preference.

OP
Duncan Formosa

Duncan Formosa

That's so cool. I second the lack of woodwinds. But this makes me happy.

Seriously, high woods, low woods, any woods.
I was debating whether to put woods or not. Didn't feel like it needed something else at the time, was afraid in case I ruined it.

Working on a new piece just now that has woods. Though I'm still struggling to create interesting runs on them and the harp. Will probably need to try and transcribe more John Williams stuff. We'll see if I improve within the year.

OP
Duncan Formosa

Duncan Formosa

Really great composition, has a nice structure and some twists to keep things interesting! I especially like the middle part. I mainly see room for improvement in the sound and usage of libraries, but maybe you're also limited by your libraries there. For example, the short repetition in the beginning sound a bit mechanical to me. The strings around 0:57 and 1:01 get too quiet too quickly for my taste. Strings could be a bit louder in general for me, but maybe that's just personal preference.
Mixing is definitely not my strong point. I mean I'm working on cheap headphones which already is a bad idea. But I'm not making money doing this, it's just a hobby so I can't justify getting really good monitors.

The libraries sound great...when other people use them haha, performance is another thing I struggle with. But I'm hoping with time I will improve on these things. Just need to push myself to keep writing and practicing.

Top Bottom