1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To pan or not to pan?

Discussion in 'Mixing, Post-Production, and Effects' started by elfman, Feb 5, 2018.

1. elfman

elfman Active Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Should I pan Spitfire's symphonic libraries? I read that Spitfire records the players in their proper positioning, and to add panning would ruin it. It all sounds pretty centered to me though. Thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  2. muk

muk Senior Member

Jan 21, 2009
    You should not need to pan Spitfire symphonic libraries. As you wrote they are recorded in situ, so the panning information is already there. The question is why does it sound centered to you? Are you using the close mics exclusively? The tree mics should definitely not sound centered.

3. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    The close mics in Spitfire libraries (recorded at Air Studios) are harder panned than the tree and ambient mics. Adding some close mics will spread the main stereo pan. The rather centered sound comes from the room: reverberation comes from all directions.

Panning the stereo roomy mics will pan the room impression too. Panning to the left is like moving the right wall to the middle of the room.
    On the other hand: who cares? If you like the sound it's ok.

4. Truni.Robinson

Truni.Robinson Member

Feb 13, 2018
    You don't have to is the simple answer. But you can always do some minor pans if you feel the sound is ok. Just use your ear!

5. whitewasteland

whitewasteland Senior Member

Mar 9, 2016
    In the middle of nowhere.
    I would add it also depends what type of music you're doing. In film music, panning is often exaggerated (usually with the close mics, obviously) compared to concert music.

It's "Realistic panning" vs "Panning as an artistic mix decision".

6. MatFluor

MatFluor Senior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Switzerland
    I didn't additionally pan spitfire's orchestral libraries.

What I did was to widen the stereo field to get more depth out of it though (in the Kontakt instruments, not via DAW plugins or the like)

7. JonAdamich

JonAdamich Senior Member

Jan 24, 2016
    If you are using spitfire tree mics, with a basic algorithmic on top, do not pan. You can slightly, but try not to go too overboard.

In response to the others, yes, at times panning can be exaggerated based on medium. But for someone asking if the spitfire library is panned, it's best if he just keeps it as is (more or less).

8. bvaughn0402

bvaughn0402 Senior Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Austin, TX
    Would be cool if there was a master list of various string libraries and whether pan was used/is needed.

hozierschurch likes this.