What's new

To Kill The King

Billy Palmer

Hi,

Relatively new to orchestral mixing - would love some ideas on how I can improve my production! Wrote this with Cinematic Strings 2, Ark 1 and a bunch of freebies.

Here's a temporary link to the wav: https://we.tl/t-bETJuRFcVp

EDIT:
Final version...

Last edited:
Is there an Fhorn in there? It's very faint. That horn could be brought out a lot more to add an other element.

Is there an Fhorn in there? It's very faint. That horn could be brought out a lot more to add an other element.
There's three bassoon parts and some four part recorder writing at a few points, no french horn though! Besides that, no wind's used.

Sounds good to me! Perhaps try to widen the image a little bit, I feel like the low strings could be pushed on the right :)

Sounds good to me! Perhaps try to widen the image a little bit, I feel like the low strings could be pushed on the right :)

I've actually gone ahead and uploaded a final version just a day ago with a few changes but nothing imaging-wise!

Appreciate the tip though - and if I revisit the template for new tracks I'll definitely widen some of the parts!

I didn’t know ARK 1 had that noise floor, I really like that actually. Are all the strings CS2 or did you use ARK 1 strings too?

I didn’t know ARK 1 had that noise floor, I really like that actually. Are all the strings CS2 or did you use ARK 1 strings too?

The noise floors from CS2 - the viola pizz particularly! Yeah, all CS2, a tiny bit of pocket blakus and the free performance samples solo violin layered in too - nothing from Metropolis string-wise.

Hi William, this sounds fine to me. Its fairly simple, but sometimes we overthink and add to much complexity when all we need is something simple to get the idea across. And this works well at conveying your meaning I think. The choirs are a smidge loud. I wouldn't worry too much about the location of the basses, it's just personal choice and centered is fine. You can focus more about the mixing and finer details of placing instruments after you've got your feet plenty more wet with just the composition aspects... just get the mixing basics right and that is good enough. (I think maxime77 is saying the main string instruments could be at least a little more apart so they don't sound like they are all sitting on each other's lap, or the choir's lap, which is a good point). There is a bit of a high noise floor but I wouldn't worry about it, people expect it in recordings, so it usually won't be noticed unless someone is looking for it or it's very loud. Anyway, you've got all the basics there... you kept it reasonably short, there is a good beat to it, there's a melody/theme, the instruments are working fine together, etc. Well done. Go move on to another piece now.

Hi William, this sounds fine to me. Its fairly simple, but sometimes we overthink and add to much complexity when all we need is something simple to get the idea across. And this works well at conveying your meaning I think. The choirs are a smidge loud. I wouldn't worry too much about the location of the basses, it's just personal choice and centered is fine. You can focus more about the mixing and finer details of placing instruments after you've got your feet plenty more wet with just the composition aspects... just get the mixing basics right and that is good enough. (I think maxime77 is saying the main string instruments could be at least a little more apart so they don't sound like they are all sitting on each other's lap, or the choir's lap, which is a good point). There is a bit of a high noise floor but I wouldn't worry about it, people expect it in recordings, so it usually won't be noticed unless someone is looking for it or it's very loud. Anyway, you've got all the basics there... you kept it reasonably short, there is a good beat to it, there's a melody/theme, the instruments are working fine together, etc. Well done. Go move on to another piece now.

Hi,

Agreed - it's a very simple piece. Definitely wanted to get the mixing basics down with it. Will bear in mind the choirs and stereo image!

Thanks for the feedback :)

Top Bottom