What's new

Tip for Logic users with performance issues: Memory diag

Vik

I've had some serious issues with Logic lately, and spent a lot of time troubleshooting. The main thing that came out of all these hours were mainly one thing: MacOS/Logic allow us to load more samples into Kontakt than our system can handle, and there's no built in way to monitor that.

The performance meter shows CPU and disk activity, but the culprit is often that our Macs can't handle all the samples we throw into it - with no built in warnings against unwise decisions. Result: sometimes the Mac ends up with so little memory that one cannot even force-quit Logic, or at least becomes less responsive than we want it to be.

Then I came across (or rather; searched for) an app which does what MacOS/Logic IMHO should have been doing: warn us when we reach a high or critical RAM usage level. The app is called 'Memory diag', and can be downloaded for free from the App Store.

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 19.42.50.png

Memory Diag works in the background, and gives loud and clear warning when we reach substantial/high/critical RAM usage, and it seems to be doing this before things go wrong.

If you open a project and enable a track, or load a RAM heavy preset into Kontakt, you will (with some luck) get a warning about a critical situation before you press play or record. This lets you save the project your project, freeze some tracks (remember – Logic unloads track memory when freezing now, in a way which also removes Kontakt samples from the memory), or use other methods to avoid seeing your Mac becoming unresponsive.

Disclaimer: I've only had few hours with it. But so far, this little app seems very useful - and also has showed me that I unfortunately easily can load more samples into Logic contact even if I'm already at a state where things have reached a critical state. There's no built in warning in the Apple code which prevents me from loading a 3gb RAM preset into Kontakt when Logic - which initially grabs around 4 gb of RAM, only has less than 100 mb left to work with. So - highly recommended, but please let me know if you use it and come across some hiccups!

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 01.09.14.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 19.42.04.png

Last edited:

Gaffable

Thanks for this. All of the analysis provided by Memory Diag is also provided by iStat Menus, which I have, so to that extent Memory Diag is redundant for me. However, Memory Diag has one really helpful feature - it can periodically restore your computer's memory state to the equivalent of a fresh system restart with its "Recycle Memory" function. So now I don't have to bother with the sudo purge trick in Terminal (as explained by @nightwatch in this thread).

Here's the FAQ information on memory recycling from Memory Diag's website:

The recycle of Memory Diag tries to restore the system’s memory state to the state of a “fresh system restart”, mostly by forcing the system to empty caches and lower compressed memory. This only speeds up your system in special scenarios:
  1. After closing a memory intense app, it will clean up the caches left behind. In case if you know you will not start a memory intense app again in the future an optimization helps your system.
  2. Before planing to run memory intense apps.
Auto recycle does not have a fixed threshold, it runs recycle when monitored memory values indicate that it will be effective (i.e. after you close a memory intensive app and in several other scenarios).​

So far, I have not experienced any problems with the auto recycle feature while running Logic Pro and Vienna Ensemble Pro.

Last edited:

Garry

Thanks for this. All of the analysis provided by Memory Diag is also provided by iStat Menus, which I have, so to that extent Memory Diag is redundant for me. However, Memory Diag has one really helpful feature - it can periodically restore your computer's memory state to the equivalent of a fresh system restart with its "Recycle Memory" function. So now I don't have to bother with the sudo purge trick in Terminal (as explained by @nightwatch in this thread).

The recycle of Memory Diag tries to restore the system’s memory state to the state of a “fresh system restart”, mostly by forcing the system to empty caches and lower compressed memory. This only speeds up your system in special scenarios:
  1. After closing a memory intense app, it will clean up the caches left behind. In case if you know you will not start a memory intense app again in the future an optimization helps your system.
Auto recycle does not have a fixed threshold, it runs recycle when monitored memory values indicate that it will be effective (i.e. after you close a memory intensive app and in several other scenarios).​

So far, I have not experienced any problems with the auto recycle feature while running Logic Pro and Vienna Ensemble Pro.
Wow, that recycle thing is amazing!! Huge performance boost, and you can even record a shortcut, so you can just zap your RAM any time you feel like!! - thanks Vik & hdsmile - great tip!

OP
Vik

Vik

Sure - this, and Apple's Activity Monitor can be useful when trying to sort out what happens under the surface when having various kinds of hiccups.

If an admin or moderator sees this: maybe it would be a good idea to merge this thread with the general Logic tips and tricks thread?

Is there any known negative side effect from using the memory recycle feature regularly?

Last edited:
OP
Vik

Vik

Is there any known negative side effect from using the memory recycle feature regularly?
Too early to tell for me, I haven't used it for that long... I had one situation, once, where it seemed that a some samples were missing - where I thought that maybe Memory Diag had removed more stuff from RAM that it should. I'll have to investigate more - this only happened for one instrument, and only for some notes. But if the app is smart enough, it should see which samples that are wired to what I currently use.

Top Bottom