What's new

Tiny Hero: CSS + Samplemodeling Brass

ricoderks

Hi Everyone

Since Adventure Brass was released I was wondering how good Samplemodeling Brass would work in a adventurous context. For the SM Brass reverb I used the 20th century fox stage in Altiverb. Compared to Adventure Brass it is a lot more work: You'll need a good reverb setup to begin with and you have to play each different horn/trumpet parts to make it sound good. That means you'll have to do a bit more midi editing too... However... I think this sounds awesome and adventurous too! :)

All feedback is very welcome :)

Rico

It has a very "Batman the animated series" sound at around 1:25 to 1:45, well done!
Haha! I loved that series! Thanks :thumbsup:

Cool track, Rico!

This only reinforces my love for SM Brass.. :thumbsup:

Now.. if only I could be at ease writing this kind of music :P

Where is your erhu from? EW Silk? Ra? Embertone?

I think the part from 1:10 to 2:21 is my favorite :)

Erhu is from Embertone! Its almost like modeling. Super playable like the whloe string series from Embertone :) But EW Ra is also used for the Koto. And indeed: I really LOVE samplemodeling too... Even more since i use altiverb for the reverb!

Thanks!

Great work! There really is a sense of space in this piece and I'm really enjoying it! I just wanted to ask you what your reverb setup is for Altiverb and Sample Modeling (panning, spacial placement, etc.). Did you use Altiverb's positioning within the plugin or did you use an external panner? Thanks so much!

Great work! There really is a sense of space in this piece and I'm really enjoying it! I just wanted to ask you what your reverb setup is for Altiverb and Sample Modeling (panning, spacial placement, etc.). Did you use Altiverb's positioning within the plugin or did you use an external panner? Thanks so much!
Hi there! I used Altiverb for spatializing too. Each trumpet or horn gets it own instance of Altiverb. All the mix busses (strings, brass, perc and woodwinds) will get a bit of todd ao reverb too in the end. Thanks for listening!

Rico

Hi Everyone

Since Adventure Brass was released I was wondering how good Samplemodeling Brass would work in a adventurous context. For the SM Brass reverb I used the 20th century fox stage in Altiverb. Compared to Adventure Brass it is a lot more work: You'll need a good reverb setup to begin with and you have to play each different horn/trumpet parts to make it sound good. That means you'll have to do a bit more midi editing too... However... I think this sounds awesome and adventurous too! :)

All feedback is very welcome :)

Rico

Awesome composition. Lots of truly marvelous little details that make the piece fascinating. I really liked the muted brass. The illusion to the orient at about :30 and again at about 2:20, accomplishes so much in only a few bars. String pizz used very, very effectively. Then the complete change in mood. All very skillfully done. The four minutes just flew by listening to it.

Awesome composition. Lots of truly marvelous little details that make the piece fascinating. I really liked the muted brass. The illusion to the orient at about :30 and again at about 2:20, accomplishes so much in only a few bars. String pizz used very, very effectively. Then the complete change in mood. All very skillfully done. The four minutes just flew by listening to it.
Lots of kind words! Thank you very much Paul!

To my knowledge the SM unison patch consists of 3 instruments only. In your music, it sounds like it's a bigger section though.. Have you layered it with other libraries? Any tips you can share on how you made it sound that big?

To my knowledge the SM unison patch consists of 3 instruments only. In your music, it sounds like it's a bigger section though.. Have you layered it with other libraries? Any tips you can share on how you made it sound that big?

Hi! Trumpets, trombones and tuba are all samplemodeling! The room size makes it sound bigger I think. However... The horns doesn't sound very real in unison to me. So I doubled that with horns marcato from Jasper Blunks freebie! Blended them in at half the volume of sm horns. Thanks for your comment!

By the way; I used 3 trumpets, 4 horns, 4 trombones and the tuba.

Rico

Last edited:
Hi Rico,
Cool track and sound, heard it the other day on sc. As this is not the members composition corner I am not going to comment on the structure and development points of your compositon or template balance, as I think that is not the focus here, but to your brass: Sounds really cool and adventurous. Sample Modeling has an interesting concept with their modeled Vi´s. Though for me personally I am not sure how I could work with their products in my tight deadlined projects plus keeping an eye on my own budget and costs. I need something which is out of the box there and needs just a little adjustments to sounds great. So I think adventure brass in combination with HWB is my combination to go.

Hi Rico,
Cool track and sound, heard it the other day on sc. As this is not the members composition corner I am not going to comment on the structure and development points of your compositon or template balance, as I think that is not the focus here, but to your brass: Sounds really cool and adventurous. Sample Modeling has an interesting concept with their modeled Vi´s. Though for me personally I am not sure how I could work with their products in my tight deadlined projects plus keeping an eye on my own budget and costs. I need something which is out of the box there and needs just a little adjustments to sounds great. So I think adventure brass in combination with HWB is my combination to go.
Yes exactly! That is also to me the only downside... time! I really do love the whole idea about adventure brass as it is almost like the sm idea to have so much flexibility in one patch regardless if it is a solo instrument or unison sound... Most of the time I work with HWB too and fill in some lines with sm brass for added realism. But for now I just wanted to use sm for "comparrison" :) oh and you always have good constructive criticism... So you kept me wondering here what you would say haha!

Thanks for your comment!

Rico

I did some tweaking on my brass sound since I was still not quite happy with the sound in the composition I posted earlier. Sounded way to thin and "phasy" on some passages. Used a whole other approach this time to sound my samplemodeling brass. Reverb is still done with Altiverb. but I didn't use a send anymore to emulate the close mics.

Hope you guys can give me some good feedback on eq'ing these kind of things!

Rico

Sounds great ricoderks! I love SM brass, but I have usually used it in a non orchestral settings. Nice to hear it used so well here. The last 2 phrases in your big opening section with the koto reminds me a little of Blakus' Onwards, but great work on the composition!

Last edited:
A nice, short piece, and it sounds good too. The SM brass here also sounds excellent and is an improvement. Going by what you've already said in this thread, for this one are you now only running Altiverb as an insert for each SM instrument? What were you sending it to before, the Todd AO as well?
I actually used the 20th century room on the separate instruments, pre send them to another bus with a fake "close mic" effect. Then routed those 2 channels to a master group, and used a little Todd-Ao Tail on it :) But that still didn't seem to work. Now I used Teldex only for room and tail. Also I dropped the whole close mic idea. I think that's where things sounded weird...

Cheers!

Top Bottom