Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Mixing, Post-Production, and Effects' started by Kony, Apr 6, 2018.

1. fiestared

fiestared Senior Member

Aug 18, 2013
    As must of us I've got a "tinnitus", (acouphenes in French)a small one, but a present one. I discovered that it's possible to deal with it : first, you must admit it, accept it, do not try to hide it. Later(some days), look for it if you don't hear it clearly or "enough", learn to "love" it. After some time you'll be kind of friend with it and it'll be possible to dim it slowly, imagine you have a fader in your head and you can change the intensity of the tinnitus with this fader, you'll discover you can mix it like any other sound source. In one word, break your patterns of reacting, try to change them... Sorry if it's not clear, English is not my language and it's obvious in this message :shocked:

dariusofwest and Mornats like this.
  2. Mornats

Mornats Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Curable or treatable? Wow, that's good to hear. Gonna book an appointment asap.

Some history on mine...

I've experienced temporary ringing in my ears after gigs so I started wearing earplugs. I bought a new set that were recommended and was wearing them at a gig where I was taking photos close to the stage (and the P.A.). I believe my earplugs were too large for my ears as I had trouble with them coming out. So as a result, I was pushing them in perhaps too much, mostly out of concern from my position close to the P.A.

Afterwards I had a build-up of wax that caused my left to be completely blocked (almost zero sound getting in) and my right being partially blocked. After I'd had the wax removed I had an almost constant but low volume ringing in my ears.

Recently it's felt like my ears have started getting blocked a bit and the ringing is louder and constant. And as I said above, moving my jaw changes the pitch and intensity.

I'd read a lot about tinnitus being incurable and permanent so I've just been laying off loud noises. No music, no headphones, and avoiding loud places. Not much fun but the sensible thing to do.

By the way, if you ever get wax blocking your ears then a few drops of olive oil a couple of times a day for a week will break it down. The you can have them syringed if the wax hasn't fallen out naturally.

3. ManicMiner

ManicMiner Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Ive had mine for two years now. I had excellent hearing up until then, like whatever the 20-20 vision equivalent of hearing is. Now very high pitched ring in both ears.
    Trying stuff to get rid of it. A harpist friend of mine cured hers with various supplements including Zinc.

I am trying Sunlight therapy. Apparently when the sunlight hits your eyes it triggers a healing mechanism (+ vit D) and some people have said this helps with tinnitus.
    I got myself a mosquito-net-tent thing so I can lay outdoors and not be bothered by critters.
    Just started it, will let you know how I get on.
    We spend most of our lives indoors behind computers not getting proper sun. I dont think it was meant to be that way.

4. mixtur

mixtur New Member

Jan 20, 2018
    Movie theaters too, what’s up with that?

dzilizzi likes this.
  5. mixtur

mixtur New Member

Jan 20, 2018
    I’ve had tinnitus for 20+ years but it goes up an down. Having a “white” period without headphones / loud sound helps get it back to “normal”. Stress, grinding teeth, tension etc makes it far worse, so being relaxed and in harmony is probably the best medicine.

I sometimes get hyperacusis when it’s really bad. It basically makes you super sensitive to certain sounds, and for me certain frequencies clips/ distorts. https://www.webmd.com/brain/sound-sensitivity-hyperacusis#1

Taking a few days or a week off from loud audio usually makes it go away. I then wear earplugs all day (custom molded). My earplugs are my best friends and I wear them at bars, the cinema, loud gatherings, city walks etc.

You can learn to live with it ultimately, and it’s not stopping me from making music, I just need to be more careful.

6. ka00

ka00 Senior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Anyone with tinnitus who also drinks diet soda (with aspartame), try a day without it and see if the ringing gets a little quieter for you too?

7. Meetyhtan

Meetyhtan Noise Maker

My biggest respect to everybody affected by that, without being stopped to do their best to create great music, seriously!

Kony likes this.
  8. bill5

bill5 Active Member

Oct 18, 2018
    But that won't stop people from trying to tell you otherwise. (esp those that hope to make some money off of you....dude! Miracle cure! These herbs work! etc)

Factual information on this: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tinnitus/symptoms-causes/syc-20350156

Have had for years, it comes and goes...or maybe it's me noticing it that comes and goes...but sometimes it seems louder than others. Annoying at times but not much more than that. I had an ear blockage which was the likely culprit; I don't listen to music loudly.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    dzilizzi likes this.
  9. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    I frankly don't notice it until someone brings the subject up. ;)

dzilizzi and Primary Target like this.
  10. bill5

bill5 Active Member

Oct 18, 2018
  11. brek

brek Active Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Making music makes it go away! It's when the music stops it becomes an annoyance. ;)

Ben and Meetyhtan like this.
  12. chrishurn

chrishurn New Member

Jan 13, 2018
    Yup. I have had dizziness (and some mild tinnitus) for about 4 years now on and off, we've ruled out almost everything, but all they can say is "probably" meniere's (maybe vestibular migraine), since you can't really officially be dianosed with that unless you have the full range of symptoms. My case may just be mild, or atypical, or...worse yet it may blow up later...either way I just have to wait and see. Unfortunately with this stuff it's really hard to diagnose and it's a bunch of trial and error. I spent a bunch of money trying to test for everything and have no answers, seems to be the case with many other people who don't fit the symptoms 100%.

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 6:35 PM
    ka00 likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Kony

Kony Senior Member

Jul 29, 2016
    I may have mentioned this already but a homeopath once told me that my tinnitus was the result of an infection during infancy which hadn't fully left my system. This feels accurate in a way, since I sometimes get frequency fluctuations for no reason. After a brief period - sometimes minutes or seconds - the frequency will return to what it has always been.

Edit: I consulted with a homeopath about 30 years ago when I went through a phase of trying anything and everything to find a cure. I'm no fan of homeopathy in particular.

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 9:04 PM
  14. bill5

bill5 Active Member

Oct 18, 2018
    You lost me at hello.

Homeopathy = flaming quackery.

15. OP
    OP
    Kony

Kony Senior Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Agree with you 100% - I actually loathe homeopathy with a passion. But something makes sense, for me at least, about the diagnosis I had.

bill5 likes this.
  16. dflood

dflood Active Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Homeopathy is bogus. At least real medicine is honest enough to admit it doesn’t know the full cause or mechanisms of tinnitus. Any infection you may have suffered likely left your system long ago, the damage didn’t. Frequency fluctuations could be caused by something as simple as pressure changes in the inner ear. The ear is a very strange and temperamental sensor, and obviously prone to damage. Then there’s the brain. I’ve only recently started to appreciate the difference between hearing and listening and how you can learn to ignore tinnitus for the most part. Likewise, sound engineers and musicians with quite profound hearing loss can still function pretty well due to the amazing compensatory abilities of our brains.