What's new

Tina Guo Vol2 - Opinions

And I wonder if there is an upgrade path for Vol1 owners.

I just got an email 5 minutes ago with a 10$ off coupon.

My budget is currently tight. But I absolutely love the sound of the original, so I'd love to hear some opinions first as well.

$10 off for Tina Guo Legato owners too. Question sent to CineSamples: Is a bundle price planned for versions 1 & 2? I'm also assuming that someone doesn't have to have Tina Guo 1 in order to buy and use Tina Guo 2. Correct?

I had originally said I was amazed they recorded Tina WITHOUT getting shorts and other arcs, now I'm surprised they would bring her in AGAIN without recording multiple mics. That combine with Cinesamples constantly moving backwards - no poly legato, no auto legato speed, locked into a mix or raw samples, and a phrase picker that already seems old school. I felt like the original sound-design instrument missed the mark, the legato patch was a step in the right direction. But I really thought they would have made this a multi-mic, deeply sampled multi instrument to die for.

After all, you have Tina Guo, her beautiful instruments, an amazing stage (Sony Scoring Stage), and you DON'T make it a top notch instrument? Even the list price (being low for CS) indicates their lack of understanding the potential of this instrument. Almost worth buying it all and building a new instrument from scratch out of the raw samples, if only it could be shared. But without being independently wealthy to support myself through the 100's of hours of work it would take by myself.

CS employs one of the best scripters I know, yet they didn't seem to use him on this project. Perhaps they just ran out of money after the recording. ;)

so. someone who would buy the bundle today (179 for the accoustic, 379 for the complete) would get it for cheaper than someone who already bought the lib before (198/398), and would get the v2, even at the discounted price (188/388)?

well, I guess that their ways of saying thank you to those who already support them!

I know it's just a few dollars, but it's just for the principle...

Just finished downloading. Must say I was expecting quite a bit more, and the range of the arco legato is exactly one note more (at the top). It's certainly not useful for lyrical playing and it will not replace the original legato V1 patch. Which is unfortunate as the original legato patch has quite a few flaws (including tuning issues) which I'd hoped this new edition would 'solve'. So this is somewhat of a disappointment.

A problem I especially have with the arco legato is that on some notes it takes seconds before some (light) vibrato is introduced. It almost behaves like a NV patch at times.

Last edited:
The full version was $299 before. Not much different now.
no, but if you buy the expension 2 today, it cost you 99$, so that's 299 + 99 = 398 (or some are claiming a 10$ discount, but I haven't seen it). The bundle is 379. So it's 20$ cheaper for a new customer to buy the same thing an existing customer would have to pay.

Ok, 20$ is really not a bit deal, and it wouldn't prevent me to buy it. But it's the concept. You are basically saying that your existing customers are not that important, or at least, less important than new ones. Which says a lot to me. I'd prefer to encourage someone who would consider my support as important if not more than a new customer. Those new customer would probably not have that new lib without the support of existing customers. But that's just me. ;)

Too bad they didn't release this 2 weeks ago. I'm in either way.
yeah. Same. Got the full version for 210$ last week. Adding another 90$ on here makes it 300$ even. which isn't bad. The question is, get it now, or wait for an inevitable sale? Probably not worth waiting to save 20$.

No, you have a valid point.

Some time ago, I believe they said that there would be a free upgrade for the legato. Does anybody remember that? As pointed out, it does have some flaws that should be fixed.
I seem to remember something about a free update mentioned when I was searching this forum just last week to decide whether to buy it or not.

the cellist in the "etude no. 1 demo" sounds drunk. her time is all over the place. Either the programming exaggerates subtle timing nuances in this style or it doesnt bode well for the agility or playability of this new legato

the cellist in the "etude no. 1 demo" sounds drunk. her time is all over the place. Either the programming exaggerates subtle timing nuances in this style or it doesnt bode well for the agility or playability of this new legato

The two demos are really pretty crappy. Hopefully they will put some better ones up....

The two demos are really pretty crappy. Hopefully they will put some better ones up....
Adam Hochstatter is a very skilled composer and programmer**:
I believe if his demo (on the website) sounds odd (it does) then it is the fault of the library.

**example of his work. I think he is someone who makes a library sound better, not worse.

Last edited:
Another issue with the arco legato is that the release samples are continuously playing when playing legato. Since they sampled long form legato the release is already baked in, it should only sound at the end of a legato phrase. The original V1 also suffers from this (delete the release zones and you'll find that the patch sounds not only clearer as there is no additional buildup of the hall reverb but it makes it also more playable). They should IMO treat this as a bug as there's a tradeoff for having the release samples play all the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom