What's new

Tina Guo Scoring Competition

They are trying too (annoyingly) hard

1631377246403.png
Marketing is always annoying, but companies can't afford to be sheepish and apologetic in their efforts to promote their brand, because there's a hundred others waiting in the wings to do it also. These blatant social media "show us your..." strategies are eye rolling, but they work because people always want to talk about themselves and show off their stuff.

These blatant social media "show us your..." strategies are eye rolling, but they work because people always want to talk about themselves and show off their stuff.
dc0a3f2a58061ce6446c1c38e43f9830.jpg

It would be nice if the prizes included some kind of actual prize, instead of just Tina playing on your song. That's cool, but for all the work that goes into it, at least maybe offer a VI or two.
Of course, because you can always just hire Tina to play on your project anytime you want, right? But a virtual instrument is forever. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
heuyyyy fuck instagram.

EDIT: Ooooh, and shady business practices too? Double trouble.

Instagram is fine. Look how grand Spitfire have become, it works. Is it shameful? No, it's business. Do we go around upset at adverts for monitors, TVs, shoes, trailers? It's peculiar to single out Cinesamples for simple expected marketing strategies.

I'm going to enter. The prize to me is exciting, even if it's 1min 45 it's an opportunity to have an amazing soloist take time out of her schedule to learn and play on a track. Hearing my music played live by an orchestra was an amazing experience, so I'm not overlooking it.

If we can do it in 30 second TV spots, we can do it in 1:45! So I'm being more positive about it. ;)

This type of social media advertising strategy is completely pervasive these days, unfortunately. I can't fault them for getting on the bandwagon... Though raising base prices to make a sale look better is decidedly dishonest.

I have to admit, to a hobbyist like me the prize for this would be pretty cool, even though I don't think I'll enter.

I must admit I set up an instagram account because of this competition.
I might as well share my entry here. I went for a simple melancholic piano&cello piece. Probably not the kind of music Tina Guo prefers to play herself, but it is the most suited style to use her Cinesamples library for (the "Tina Guo Acoustic Cello Legato" that is).

I might as well share my entry here. I went for a simple melancholic piano&cello piece. Probably not the kind of music Tina Guo prefers to play herself, but it is the most suited style to use her Cinesamples library for (the "Tina Guo Acoustic Cello Legato" that is).

Good on you man, one of the few positive posts here.
Cinesamples have given us an excuse to write pretty cello music and there is always more room for amazing Cello music :) and the more music written in the world the better :)

Brilliant!

Hi Bart, I already mentioned in FB, I love the intimacy you draw with the TG cello... the more I listen to it the better it feels!

I have as well participated, with a different kind of proposal, I'd say, radically different, so here we go...

It would be great to get your feedback, as I am still learning to walk!

So Bart, Rachel, team... good luck to all. Would love to listen to other VI members' proposals.

Cheers
Victor

Hi Bart, I already mentioned in FB, I love the intimacy you draw with the TG cello... the more I listen to it the better it feels!

I have as well participated, with a different kind of proposal, I'd say, radically different, so here we go...

It would be great to get your feedback, as I am still learning to walk!

So Bart, Rachel, team... good luck to all. Would love to listen to other VI members' proposals.

Cheers
Victor

Hey Victor, thanks!
I really like your composition and the fantasy atmosphere. Since you ask for feedback, the female choir feels like it gets cut off quite abruptly, maybe you could add more reverb or dynamic variation? The high string parts also could use some variation in dynamics/expression to create a more realistic feel.
Anyway, good luck to everyone participating!

Hey Victor, thanks!
I really like your composition and the fantasy atmosphere. Since you ask for feedback, the female choir feels like it gets cut off quite abruptly, maybe you could add more reverb or dynamic variation? The high string parts also could use some variation in dynamics/expression to create a more realistic feel.
Anyway, good luck to everyone participating!
Thanks Bart, both points are valid. I tried the reverb thing with the female choir (EW Symphonic Choirs), not convincing to be frank, and I decided to make room for the rest. As for the strings I think you refer to the legato unison in 3 8ves... here I layered Albion with Spitfire Chamber. Now that you mention it, perhaps I should have emphasized the dynamics a bit further. Many thanks for the feedback!

Oh yeah, I saw this one. It's a good one!

The cello comes a bit late in my opinion (for a contest featuring the cello), but the piece is truly beautiful, the cello has a real depth and is very emotive. Congrats and good luck!

Top Bottom