What's new

Time to jump on the Melda express?

That should be good.
It takes a lot of work to get the most out of Melda plugins. Not because they are hard to use: basic use is very easy. But because they are capable of so much.
Yes, although I’d rather say “it CAN take a lot of work” (a lot of deep editing power) but “the presets CAN also do a lot of heavy lifting if one’s in a hurry” (great out of the box sound).

:emoji_blush: patiently waiting for APD -75% deal on MEverything ......... ( jus kidding )
Now, mind-boggled with MSF /MDrummer discussion. Was leaning heavily to MDrummer, but MSF would be strong option with MD inclusion. Guess 'NOT' 😖

I don't have any of his instruments, but the effect plugins I have are VERY good, evidently a talented and very well-organized programmer.

I'm personally eyeing MDrummer, would love to hear first-hand experiences of that one
I found MDummer inside Msoundfactory as follows:
1. Open MSF empty preset.
2. Click Edit tab.
3. Right click in Generator (opens selection of plugins)
4. Select MDrummer listed under Generators listing.

Tip: vi Member Chandler is the MSF guru with tons of online tutorials to learn this synth. I have a long list of other vsts to learn first, but, got at least that far when I first downloaded MSF and the free mDrum pack. Steps 1-4 will get you started.

I found MDummer inside Msoundfactory as follows:
1. Open MSF empty preset.
2. Click Edit tab.
3. Right click in Generator (opens selection of plugins)
4. Select MDrummer listed under Generators listing.

Tip: vi Member Chandler is the MSF guru with tons of online tutorials to learn this synth. I have a long list of other vsts to learn first, but, got at least that far when I first downloaded MSF and the free mDrum pack. Steps 1-4 will get you started.

MDrummer isn't in my list of generators. There is the following drum-related options:
Drum Multisampler
Drum Scratcher
Drum SubSampleSynth
Drum Synthesizer4NN

I don't know if these amount to MDrummer.

MDrummer isn't in my list of generators. There is the following drum-related options:
Drum Multisampler
Drum Scratcher
Drum SubSampleSynth
Drum Synthesizer4NN

TBH on initial purchase + download, I only took it this far so can't tell you whether I have pieces of Mdrummer or only some drum sampler offshoot inside MSF (I assumed it to be MDrummer). Someone more MSF savvy could clarify.

Maybe @José Herring who has more familiarity with the MSF product can clarify whether the drum engines you list are same as MDrummer.

@doctoremmet probably is more of the zen master on this one. I haven't read all the post yet but he probably answered.

MDrummer isn't part of MSoundFactory but the library is. I know it's confusing. It confused me too. You can download the MDrummer libraries for free then use them in MSoundFactory via various sample modules.

As for the OP, MSoundfactory is a beast. It is hands down the best sounding synth engine on the market. I put it up against all the heavy hitters to do a comparison test of the "core" sound as HZ mentioned an it won by a margin. It is upfront, it is lively with lots of depth and not plasticy sounding it is even better then MPowersynth which was weak by comparison.

That comes with a price tag of, it is hard to learn, not very fun to program unless you love that kind of stuff.

That being said it can be learned and comes with a lot of instruments that you can use. But....those instruments aren't nearly as great as Reaktor's instruments, ect... So I program it myself a lot. Having used MPowersynth for years made it a little easier for me to learn. Knowing something about modular synths is almost a must.

I personally really like it. And, might even consider it a desert island synth just based on sheer versatility and ability to do anything. But, I have to admit it isn't for the faint of heart programming wise.

But like Zebra the core sound is so strong that it gets better sounding the more you throw at it rather than hitting a limit like so many soft synths tend to do.

Phase Plant is probably just as powerful, easier to learn but doesn't have all that MSoundfactory has.

On a separate note Melda in general is very GUI challenged. There's been some attempt to add a better face to Melda plugins but it ain't doing it any favors. I have a feeling that they sacrifice pretty for sound quality and CPU efficiency.

Last edited:
@doctoremmet probably is more of the zen master on this one. I haven't read all the post yet but he probably answered.

MDrummer isn't part of MSoundFactory but the library is....
This clarifies it succinctly José. Thank you!

FWIW, I started this past BF with an MSF purchase, dowloaded its main libraries including two freebies (Monastery Grand and the smaller MDrummer Essential libraries). Then the IK Group Buy hit and 48 additional instruments/processors later, MSF got buried. :faint:

Despite the gui challenges and general lack of familiarity, I fired up MSF last night and for ease of use I found I was able to get it to quickly give me the sounds + fx I had asked about on another thread (ie How to create the choppy-glitchy fx) with no programming; so, just like that, I am off and running with MSF and Pendulate for a bass heavy song I now have in mind.

MSF is much like my DAW, I know enough to get my music out; however, it's in learning the newer/different features as I go along creating my music that more riches are exposed from my DAW/MSF/any-of-my-recent-purchases.

Threads like this are what I enjoy most about the vi gang: stuff gets brought up which fits perfectly with my evolving music world. Love it!

Cheers from the -20C wind-chill, snow-bound hinterland, Bill

1642491198005.png

Wait. Now I’m confused. I’m pretty sure you *can* have all of MDrummer, UI included.

If you click open a square in the grid in Edit>FX, it should be an option under—I’m on my phone and can’t completely remember, but I think it’s “Generators” or something synonymish. Should be the whole deal.

The caveat here is that I don’t have MDrummer separately, so I don’t know for sure that it’s the full thing, but what I get in the FX tab looks like the pictures of MDrummer on the Melda website.

Wait. Now I’m confused. I’m pretty sure you *can* have all of MDrummer, UI included.

If you click open a square in the grid in Edit>FX, it should be an option under—I’m on my phone and can’t completely remember, but I think it’s “Generators” or something synonymish. Should be the whole deal.

The caveat here is that I don’t have MDrummer separately, so I don’t know for sure that it’s the full thing, but what I get in the FX tab looks like the pictures of MDrummer on the Melda website.
Msoundfactory has drum sampler modules but it isn't MDrummer which is a separate product as far as I can tell. For me shit gets so confusing some times it's hard to keep up.

Last edited:
Msoundfactory has drum sampler modules but it isn't MDrummer which is a separate product as far as I can tell. For me shit gets so confusing some times it's hard to keep up.
This is what I'm getting:
1642641615946.png

Here's where I'm finding it:
1642641600295.png
Is that not the real deal?

EDIT: also, I realized I was short, here, but it's not my intention to be combative or anything. I just genuinely think/thought I was actually getting MDrummer, and I'm still confused if I'm not.

Last edited:
Drum Multisampler
Drum Scratcher
Drum SubSampleSynth
Drum Synthesizer4NN

Messaged Melda Prod to clarify. Above suggests MSF can use MDrummer _ if MD has also been purchased.

This is what I'm getting:
1642641615946.png

Here's where I'm finding it:
1642641600295.png
Is that not the real deal?

EDIT: also, I realized I was short, here, but it's not my intention to be combative or anything. I just genuinely think/thought I was actually getting MDrummer, and I'm still confused if I'm not.
No. That is the MDrummer library in Msoundfactory drum sampler. Not Mdrummer which is this.

Last edited:
as @h.s.j.e pointed out, MDrummer is not in the Generators, but in the FX section of MSoundFactory.

The modules in the generators are just the "oscillator" modules from MDrummer, effectively allowing access to the sample libraries and drum synth parts of MDrummer, but not the pattern player/drum machine.

I have a full MDrummer License, and it seems to work for me - i.e. I can select kits and patterns and have it play like a full drum machine from inside MSoundFactory.

Unfortunately that doesn't prove things one way or another for individuals without the MDrummer full license.

However by analogy, I don't think MXXX has all of the FX working unless you also have licenses for those. So I assume the same applies for MDrummer.

Side note: MXXX also has MDrummer working for me, since I have licenses for all of the Melda stuff.

Calling @Chandler.

If you are free, can you add some clarity on Msoundfactory proper vs MDrummer. Specifically,

1. Some of us own MSF and MDrummer and can use MDrummer inside MSF.

2. Some of us only own MSF. Though I do not own MDrummer as yet, I still have access to its libraries using samplers listed in the Generators catalog inside MSF. Additionally, inside my MSF's FX listing it specifically displays MDrummer.

Question: What MDrummer functionality do #2 users have versus #1 users?

Several vi members have posted screenshots above my posting if that helps show what I am asking.

Sure would appreciate your time on this matter.
Best, Bill

No. That is the MDrummer library in Msoundfactory drum sampler. Not Mdrummer which is this.

Oh, man. I feel a little bit crazy continuing to disagree, because I'm pretty sure you know more about it than I do, and because the Melda stuff is sufficiently confusing that I absolutely might be completely wrong here, but I looked into it, and I'm pretty sure, now, that it's actually the full thing.

I figured from the UI that the video you shared was of an older version of MDrummer, so I looked up the intro video on Melda's website, here:

I compared the UI tabs and functionalities from the video to what I have open in MSF. As far as I can tell, the version of MDrummer I'm loading in the MSF FX tab has all of the functionality and UI screens I saw in the video.

I did the same thing with PowerSynth. It's available in the Synthesis category on the FX Tab, and it has the same UI as is shown on the PowerSynth product page on Melda's website.

Since I don't own a license for PowerSynth or MDrummer, I'm pretty convinced that the plugins are actually there for all Soundfactory owners, regardless of whether they own the other plugins separately or not.

But...

...I could definitely be missing something; it wouldn't surprise me to discover a whole other tab or set of functions I just didn't see when I did my comparisons.

Oh, man. I feel a little bit crazy continuing to disagree, because I'm pretty sure you know more about it than I do, and because the Melda stuff is sufficiently confusing that I absolutely might be completely wrong here, but I looked into it, and I'm pretty sure, now, that it's actually the full thing.

I figured from the UI that the video you shared was of an older version of MDrummer, so I looked up the intro video on Melda's website, here:

I compared the UI tabs and functionalities from the video to what I have open in MSF. As far as I can tell, the version of MDrummer I'm loading in the MSF FX tab has all of the functionality and UI screens I saw in the video.

I did the same thing with PowerSynth. It's available in the Synthesis category on the FX Tab, and it has the same UI as is shown on the PowerSynth product page on Melda's website.

Since I don't own a license for PowerSynth or MDrummer, I'm pretty convinced that the plugins are actually there for all Soundfactory owners, regardless of whether they own the other plugins separately or not.

But...

...I could definitely be missing something; it wouldn't surprise me to discover a whole other tab or set of functions I just didn't see when I did my comparisons.

I think at this point @doctoremmet needs to clarify both our confusion but as far as I know Mdrummer is a Drum sequencer type plugin and not just a sample play back device. But I will be back in the studio tonight and fully research it.

can you play these instruments in your MSF?

Also, everything Melda has an implicit trial license for so many days, which might confuse the issue - i.e. things work for a while until the implied trial is up
Yep! I can! I used up an MSoundfactory Trial a few years ago doing KVR's OSC, so I've had the plugin on my harddrive for years, but activated it when I bought a license in December.
I think at this point @doctoremmet needs to clarify both our confusion but as far as I know Mdrummer is a Drum sequencer type plugin and not just a sample play back device. But I will be back in the studio tonight and fully research it.
Haha, agreed! My last muddying-of-the-waters: I ran through the "Song," and "Rhythm Editor," tabs, and they worked, as well! Buuuut....I could be missing something :emoji_joy:.

What I'm wondering now is, if maybe you're on implicit trial version licenses of MDrummer and PowerSynth.
Ahhhhh! That could be what I'm missing! It's been nearly two months, so I'm still skeptical, but as we've all been saying - we might just need clarification from Chandler.

Top Bottom