What's new

Tiger The Frog's Alphabetical List of November 2019 Sales

I think simpler is better. VIs, Plug-ins, and Loops.

Instruments and synths are in the same category, imho. There’s so much cross over, and it’s too complicated to try to parse categories based on where the sound sources originated from. Ie, is Omnisphere a synth or a sample library?

Hmm. I dunno why, but I would have been good with just an alphabetical order. It seems silly and maybe crowded but, I mean, come on...do a little work to get to the discount, heh.

Didn't mean to stir the pot with my addition of IK. I don't even like them that much ha (although Modo Bass is great!).

There's a limit built into this. Each post can only hold a certain number of characters, which is why I have reserved a few empty posts for later.

Last year I spent hours and hours deleting text so that I could include more sales. This year I'm writing less detail about the sales to begin with.

If I start duplicating listings this year, I doubt I'll be able to include all companies, and I don't want to be facing decisions like "Does this little loop website get cut so I can list NI four times?"

This is very time-consuming anyway, so I'm not going to give myself all that work copying the links I'm hoping that people will find it useful the way it is. I don't know of anything like it, so I hope so.

If people feel I have put a company in the wrong category, please let me know.

I will try a "Synths" category this year.

Good point! No duplication then :). If the space still gets too tight, instead of making long text edits, just ask a moderator to delete posts #6,7,8,9 and you have 2 whole more posts at the top. It's a sacrifice that I'm sure none of the posters would mind.

The promo of the lexicon sale says "US only". You could add that to your list so everybody knows it right away :)

But the thing is that most- if not all- of these sales are widely sold by various distributors in Europe (and also in US) as well. For example, a quick check confirmed that Best Service doesn't only sell the Lexicon stuff, but they also sell it way cheaper than Lexicon themselves.

I don't know should this be included in the first post, as I'd personally not like to see any distributors mentioned in the main topic- given the fact that it would be impossible to name them ALL and that would cause a bit "unfair" feeling only mentioning a couple only.

But the thing is that most- if not all- of these sales are widely sold by various distributors in Europe (and also in US) as well. For example, a quick check confirmed that Best Service doesn't only sell the Lexicon stuff, but they also sell it way cheaper than Lexicon themselves.

I don't know should this be included in the first post, as I'd personally not like to see any distributors mentioned in the main topic- given the fact that it would be impossible to name them ALL and that would cause a bit "unfair" feeling only mentioning a couple only.
Audiodeluxe is even better since it's the same number but with a dollar sign (when I bought it they had an additional fall discount on top).

Yep, that's my point. While it would be helpful, there are so many retailers that it would be completely pointless to name them all.

I'd personally not like to see any distributors mentioned in the main topic- given the fact that it would be impossible to name them ALL and that would cause a bit "unfair" feeling only mentioning a couple only.

I'm sorry you feel that this is unfair. Here's why it was important to me to do it this way.

When I first got into buying virtual instruments, I bought everything retail. I didn't know of the existence of any of these stores and certainly not all of them. I didn't know that there were codes like FORUM and GROUP. I learned about all these things slowly. On this forum and others, I have discovered there are many others who still don't know these things, and I'm directing this post to them.

On other forums, they regularly post things like "Positive Grid Sale at JRR" when Positive Grid is for sale at many stores. I didn't want to do that. This is the solution I've come up with--always send people to the developer, which is usually the place to get the most information, but recommend at the beginning that they also shop around. If you have a favorite store, I figure you know that. The stores I've mentioned are ones I've purchased from regularly and feel confident recommending.

When there is a deal that's only at one store, that's where the link will go, as with the free-with-purchase Nectar Elements deal at Plugin Boutique.

I'm open to hearing any suggestions anybody has for this post, but ultimately I have to decide what I think is best for all. And I know that whatever I choose, some aren't going to like it.

But I have to stay true to my sacred mission to help people save money so they will be encouraged to save more and more and more money until they are completely broke. :dancedance:

No, you got it all wrong- you're not doing anything unfair! In fact, you're doing exactly how I think it should be done. To be honest, I think I missed your note about the retailers in the beginning of your post, which is why it may seem weird what I wrote. :D

I bought everything retail. I didn't know of the existence of any of these stores and certainly not all of them.

This. I could had written this as well! My point was that if you would put like "Thing X at -50% but link to Shop Z sells it at this price" it had been technically what I'd think a bit "unfair" to the rest of the shops. So what you're doing is appreciated and there's nothing wrong with that! I was only speculating about another way to do it, which could be thought a bit unfair, if you get my point.

You're doing a great work and thank/curse you for it. :)

This is a little thing, but before you post a sale here, you might want to check if I've already put it up on the first page. I'm trying to put stuff up there as soon as it goes up on other forums or sites. .

However, @JonSolo made me realize I had put IK Multimedia in the wrong category, as he didn't see it. I think it's helpful to have a category for "Virtual Instruments" and "Effects," but it's difficult to do, because companies like Output, IK, and iZotope do both. Even VSL and EastWest make reverbs and Waves makes instruments. So I make an arbitrary judgment based on whether I believe a company is known more for one thing than the other. But I chose wrong for IK, as they have Syntronik, Sampletank, Miroslav, the MODOs, etc., so I put it in "virtual instruments."

I didn't do a "Synth" category last year, because I thought it would make these kinds of decisionscomplicated. I have to call Native Instruments a virtual instrument company even though they make some of the most popular synths around. But what do you think? Should I have a different category for Arturia, u-he, Rob Papen, Lennar Digital (Sylenth), Xfer Records (Serum), etc? Would that be helpful?

I would love to have separate categories for things like loops, sound effects, or presets, but there are so many companies who offer all those things.
A suggestion :grin:: you could put the offer in the main category e.g "Virtual Instruments", and add a "(+FX)" suffix to the entry to indicate that they also offer discounts in a different category e.g:
"IK Multimedia (+FX)"

Top Bottom