What's new

Tiger The Frog's Alphabetical List of November 2019 Sales

The SynthMaster options are confusing to me. I own SynthMaster Player and can't figure out what might be worth upgrading to.

If someone can provide a succinct, definitive "overview" that'd be fantastic as I don't want to "pollute" the thread with my ignorance.

Thank you!

The SynthMaster options are confusing to me. I own SynthMaster Player and can't figure out what might be worth upgrading to.

If someone can provide a succinct, definitive "overview" that'd be fantastic as I don't want to "pollute" the thread with my ignorance.

Thank you!
From what I understand, you want the SynthMaster full version. The expansions won't work with SM One. Otherwise, they are the same.

Thanks mate.

Does the full version include SM One? Can't seem to find that out either...
No, but SM One is basically the same as SM as far as sound and ability goes. I initially thought it was an upgraded version but recently found out that you can't use the expansions on it. I have SM. Don't really use it. Nothing wrong with it, I just rarely use synths right now.

Thanks man.

I thought it was a more-accessible / dumbed-down version so I figured one would have it included in the full-version download.

I see you can buy the two as a bundle, so yeah, not included. I wonder if there'd be any merit in getting the bundle as opposed to v2.x alone. Hmm...

The blurb at the site says, "Although it shares the same engine with its bigger brother SynthMaster, it comes with new features like wavetable synthesis."

This implies that there's a difference. Then there's the factory content - are the presets included in the newer version or are they unique to SM One, I wonder. Further to that, are they interchangeable?

I wish the company had provided a simple comparison chart for easy access to this information, or at the very least, a comparative overview.

Still strugglin' to figure this out. Thank you so much for trying to help, mate. :emoji_wink:

SynthMaster is the more powerful of the two and it does have wavetables (see below). SynthMaster itself has a lot of options under the hood for additive, FM, subtractive and various hybrids of all of them that you don't get on most other synths.

Yeah I knew that; thanks gamma.

I'm glad I didn't assume that just because it's more-powerful that it would automatically encompass everything the smaller sibling can do.

Just confirmed this over at Music Radar (assuming the article is correct, of course!)

KV331 Audio SynthMaster One review | MusicRadar

The critical bit:
While SynthMaster 2.8 features its own form of wavetable functionality, enabling up to 16 waveforms from its extensive onboard library to be strung together contiguously, SynthMaster One takes a very different approach. Rather than let you build your own within the synth, it includes 150 pre-made wavetables captured from a Who’s Who of hardware synths by Moog, Roland, Korg and others, and grants you the ability to import your own.

So I managed to answer my question after much Googling around. Thank you both for your help. :emoji_beers:

Yeah I knew that; thanks gamma.

I'm glad I didn't assume that just because it's more-powerful that it would automatically encompass everything the smaller sibling can do.

Just confirmed this over at Music Radar (assuming the article is correct, of course!)

KV331 Audio SynthMaster One review | MusicRadar

The critical bit:
While SynthMaster 2.8 features its own form of wavetable functionality, enabling up to 16 waveforms from its extensive onboard library to be strung together contiguously, SynthMaster One takes a very different approach. Rather than let you build your own within the synth, it includes 150 pre-made wavetables captured from a Who’s Who of hardware synths by Moog, Roland, Korg and others, and grants you the ability to import your own.

So I managed to answer my question after much Googling around. Thank you both for your help. :emoji_beers:
I've made presets with both. While they share a lot, they are very different.

Synthmaster is a very, very powerful synth with a billion options. It has analog, wave scanning and vector synthesis, phase modulation, additive synthesis, sample playback, and FM. It is called Synthmaster because it is one synth that can do the kinds of things many synths do. For this reason, very gifted programmers like Nori Obukata can make sounds on it that sound like other famous synthesizers throughout history. I don't think most Synthmaster owners program from scratch with Synthmaster--they just use the presets, and they sell a lot of them. In practice, the difference for most between the Player and the full synth is the full one is more tweakable.

A very popular package includes all the expansions they have at the point of sale. It doesn't include any expansions that come out later. There's a much more flourishing third party preset market for other synths.

Synthmaster One is the opposite. It is designed to be easy to make your own patches with, by limiting the options. The design philosophy is identical to Rob Papen's Go2 and Arturia's Pigments. It doesn't do all the stuff above, but it is fun to make patches with Synthmaster One, and, as you noted, it has features that are not in Synthmaster.

I have heard that some of these new features will be in Synthmaster Three. I believe that will be like the Massive X--a different synth.

I don't know why KV331 gives all their synths the same name. It's confusing.

I hope this helps. :)

I'd be interested to know what they say as VSR S24 is currently on sale for $129.

You can upgrade to:
- Reverb Bundle 2 for $49
- Reverb Bundle 2 + Goldplate for $149

Bundle 2 will add

VSR S24 and LX480 RHall

to my current

Sonsig Rev-A and LX480 Complete

line up.

VSR S24 small spaces sounds nice.

I tried Goldplate - not my thing at the moment. already have some excellent plates.

I am curious to know where you found the upgrade pricing? It could not locate any upgrades on Relab's website. Thanks!

i sent an email requesting upgrade options taking into consideration the products from Relab i currently own (Sonsig and LX480 Complete).

the replied with those offers.

they are not on the website.

Sonsig (by the way) has been my first-grab reverb since i bought it.

Top Bottom