What's new

Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - BlackmagicDock

JaikumarS

Hi,

I'm planning to streaming samples from the multidock wondering if I could use Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter with good ethernet cable and stream sample from Blackmagic multidock, I would like to place the multidock in separate racks.

So wondering if this could be acheived.

Thank you.

-JK

If I am understanding you correctly, I’m pretty sure this won’t work. The dock needs to be read by a computer — similar to a regular external usb hard drive being read by a computer. Also, even if it did work, it would be a waste of all the bandwidth the dock provides since Ethernet is 1 Gbit/s vs thunderbolt 2 (on the dock) which is 20Gbit/s.

Ethernet is 1 Gbit/s vs thunderbolt 2 (on the dock) which is 20Gbit/s.

actually 40Gbit ethernet is a thing now so bandwidth wouldn't be the issue - I guess you'd want be looking at something like this.... https://www.atto.com/products/thunderbolt-adapters/thunderlink/thunderbolt-to-ethernet/TLNQ-3402-D00 and a 40Gbit ethernet card to go with it.

Dunno if/how it would work...

**edit - and having just looked further through the atto product line they go way beyond 40.. !!

If I am understanding you correctly, I’m pretty sure this won’t work. The dock needs to be read by a computer — similar to a regular external usb hard drive being read by a computer. Also, even if it did work, it would be a waste of all the bandwidth the dock provides since Ethernet is 1 Gbit/s vs thunderbolt 2 (on the dock) which is 20Gbit/s.
Thank you

actually 40Gbit ethernet is a thing now so bandwidth wouldn't be the issue - I guess you'd want be looking at something like this.... https://www.atto.com/products/thunderbolt-adapters/thunderlink/thunderbolt-to-ethernet/TLNQ-3402-D00 and a 40Gbit ethernet card to go with it.

Dunno if/how it would work...

**edit - and having just looked further through the atto product line they go way beyond 40.. !!
Wow! I was aware of up to 10gbit/s ethernet but not 40 and higher. That’s really impressive :)

Top Bottom