What's new

[Thread] AMD/Intel CPU 2019

I'm excited for the rest of the line-up, particularly new generation Threadrippers. I've switched to AMD since last year because it is much more cost-effective.

I'm excited for the rest of the line-up, particularly new generation Threadrippers. I've switched to AMD since last year because it is much more cost-effective.

Happy to see someone using AMD here. What's your actual CPU?
By the way, very nice move from AMD to keep AM4 socket for this new gen. A lot of people will save money on motherboards.

I have two systems, one mainly for recording and post-production, and another for production. The former is a replacement of my old Intel Xeon system, now AMD Threadripper 2950x, Asus Prime x399 and 64 gigs of RAM. The latter is older generation AMD R7 1800x I got for cheap along with Asus Prime x370 and 64 gigs of RAM.

Happy to see someone using AMD here. What's your actual CPU?
By the way, very nice move from AMD to keep AM4 socket for this new gen. A lot of people will save money on motherboards.

ASRock says the 470 board made for 1U chassis will get a new BIOS.
I don’t think it’s even been released yet.
Went to 3 different sites and it’s out of stock, which translates to we don’t have it yet.

Seems Ill be good to go with Intel or AMD.
I’ve been on 4790k’s for years. Actually on single core performance the new 9000s are 15% more IPC.
Didn’t even see a budge until the 7000 series, which is really the 8000s too.

So I should see 25-30% uptick in IPC.
Competition sure is nice.

Competition sure is nice.
Absolutely. I was initially annoyed when AMD launched Threadripper because my (then) spanking new $3000 dollars Xeon was suddenly matched by a $800 processor. I ended up selling my Xeon + motherboard for around $2500, bought a $1300 TR setup and $1200 leftover for samples. :2thumbs:

Absolutely. I was initially annoyed when AMD launched Threadripper because my (then) spanking new $3000 dollars Xeon was suddenly matched by a $800 processor. I ended up selling my Xeon + motherboard for around $2500, bought a $1300 TR setup and $1200 leftover for samples. :2thumbs:

Yeah but the Xeons are great.
You know Intel is going to hit back with cheaper prices for now, but in 2020 (not late 2019) they’re going to have to score really big with new chips because AMD is taking off, just look at all of the motherboards already available for the 3000’s.
Usually you see a pair, ATX and mATX.
Everybody that’s anybody has 5/6 each.

Can’t wait to see Supermicro @ Computex.
So far nothing, and those are the guys to watch.

I really REALLY hope that Zen2 will perform better in real-time audio and DAW use than the earlier models. I think I'm going to upgrade my PC this summer or fall, so looking forward to DAW-bench and user tests and I hope the Ryzen 16 core and new Threadripper refresh will be announced in the next E3. If it seems Intel still outperforms in low latency VI and plugin tests, then I might have to go for more expensive Skylake-X. We'll see!

I really REALLY hope that Zen2 will perform better in real-time audio and DAW use than the earlier models.

I wouldn't hope for much. It's by design of how cores and dies are interconnected, there will always be some overhead for NUMA (non-uniform memory access), which is the same thing as if you had two or more physical CPUs on the motherboard. This is great for a lot of workloads where super-tight latencies don't matter (video rendering, data centers, servers), but it's not great for realtime audio with low buffer sizes (<64 samples). The chiplet design could even make it worse, actually.

They would have to go back to the drawing board and figure out a completely different design of the CPU that wouldn't rely on NUMA, but that's not gonna happen, they're going to run with their current design as long as they can, for sure.

I'm working with a buffer of 512 (and x4 on VE-Pro... so 2048 so far). Sometimes I have to increase to 1024 because of the very CPU demanding synth. My poor 6800K is dying because of the huge template (75GB) workload. Even if the latencies is not better than Intel ones, I assume a 16c or 24c would be nice to be able to go for a 256 (x2) buffer size.
The price per core from AMD is a good argument to me. I need brute power.

Looking forward to see audio benchmark of the 3rd gen.

Definitely waiting for ScanProAudio too.
I’m fine with 256 on my host and this is for live performance.
I can run @ 64/44.1k no problem but there’s no advantage for that workload.

I’m actually more excited about a new Intel Quad Core late 2019 than the AMD 3700X now. If it matches the TDP of that AMD Chip that’s all I need.

I have been able to do anything I want on my rigs ever since the i7 2600K CPUs @ 4.1GHz. i7 3770K, then i7 4790K, even the i7 5775C @ 3.3GHz too.
I’m doing heavy polyphony more than number of plug ins, etc.

Exciting times though to see the 2 big sluggers going at it again.
Regardless of which chip out does the other, the fact they continue upping their game suits me just fine.

Here is another one waiting for ScanProAudio reviews. I already opted to take the dive and get a 9900k, but then Computex happened and decided to happily wait a bit longer. Intel starts sweating more and more, 9900(KeepSpending), really? I think I may go to team red for the first time in my life. Maybe Intel has got their stuff together in 2022 or so, but for now (assuming dawbenches are positive) I don't feel Intel has much of an answer on AMD.

But if dawbenches tell me it's still team blue that holds the crown, I will be loyal to blue.

It's a tricky thing to consider. Woudl you still pay the blue tax even if team red would have better performance overall at half the price, even if it might not fully saturate the CPU only on the lowest buffer sizes? Does anyone even run huge orchestral templates at 64 samples buffer? I'm plenty happy with 128 samples buffer, I don't hear any latency when playing live (be it my guitar or a plugin via MIDI controller), and at 128 AMD is still performing pretty darn great.

Hmm, fair point, the price performance ratio is an interesting topic to discuss. 128 samples buffer size is good enough for me. And if I could save 300 euro or so, it's definitely worth considering to make some compromises in other area's (smaller template for example)

Top Bottom