What's new

Thoughts on VSL - Woodwinds SE 1

garyhiebner

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at getting a good entry price woodwinds library. And have heard a lot of good things about their Woodwinds Special Editions 1, plus with the current VSL special its going at a steal.

https://vsl.co.at/en/Special_Edition_Vol1/SE_Vol1_Woodwinds

Would you guys recommend this? Would dig to hear your thoughts. Currently I've only used EW's Symphonic Orchestra and Hollywood Gold woodwinds from the Composer Cloud package.

Advantages and disadvantages of the VSL sounds do not have changed: they sound clean, are very very playable and are mostly suitable for orchestral works. But they sound a bit generic and are no "solo" instruments that you would expose in front of the orchestra, they just don´t stand out enough.
If you got Hollywood Winds Gold there will not be that "aaaaahhh, finally" effect. It will just be another WW library to choose from. If you have enough money: always good to have choices. If you don´t have money you got Hollywood Winds Gold: use them.

Not sure what "generic" means in this context. The VSL winds truthfully sound how they should, that's exactly what I love about them. They are solo instruments that can and should be exposed in front of the orchestra, because they sound absolutely gorgeous. Some virtual instruments have that certain lasting quality to them which make them a joy to work with. The VSL woodwinds to me are in that category. I keep coming back to them and they still thrill and inspire me, even after using them for years and a lot. So that's kind of interesting, how differently people sometimes perceive things.

Now that sounds like an unreserved purchase recommendation, but as Sid said: it's always good to have stuff if you got the money to spend. You already have woodwind samples to work with - how important is it to have different ones?

Last edited:
I have the VSL SE 1, 1+ and 2 as well as the EW Hollywood Winds Gold (also from the Composer's Cloud package), and to me, the VSL winds sound superior. Especially their flute 1 is great! I use them all the time as solo instruments as well as part of the orchestra, and I only reach for the EW winds when I need an articulation that isn't contained in the VSL SE. Plus I love the VSL UI! Disadvantage: VSL is very dry and up-front which makes it kind of difficult to mix with libraries such as Albion for example.

The weakest point of EW Woodwinds Gold is the mic seciton. VSL also doesn't have this option (I've both of them), but EW's sound is more wet and you are not allowed to choose close mics. I find VSL's sound much natural and using it a lot. When you get more familiar with VSL, youl'll want to upgrade to full libraries ;)

Disadvantage: VSL is very dry and up-front which makes it kind of difficult to mix with libraries such as Albion for example.

It becomes very easy though once you add MIRx. It essentially turns the samples into "wet", pre-positioned instruments that blend with everything else remarkably well. Super simple and far more realistic than any standard reverb approach. I think it's really a game changer in the VSL world. But that's another ca. 80 bucks extra. It's a no-brainer if you have a lot of VSL stuff anyway, but not sure if it makes sense for someone who only has a single instrument or just one SE section.

Thanks Guys. Personally I am looking for a 'dry' sounding woodwind library. And I really like the samples of these guys on their site.

I think I'm sold. Very keen to also see the VSL player and how it works.

Yes, terrific set. Perfect legatos - the dynamics can be a little rough round the transitions, but it remains one of the single best buys in VIdom imo.

I think it can compete with any alternative ww library. The only problem is there is no controllable vibrato/very strong vibrato options. For oboe solos this is a bit of a downside. But e.g. the flute sounds so nice , it doesnt even need actual vibrato control.

A word of warning. Once you have tasted the SPE Woodwinds,
you will want to start upgrading to the full Instruments one at a time.:)

If possible add the 'plus'-section when they are on sale. They add round robins for shorts which are very useful.
For compatibility reasons in a collaboration I use the complete special edition for a project as the only orchestra samples. I just rediscover the possibilities of this library! It might not be all you want. But it's all you need.

I have VSL Winds SE Vol 1 and they sound great. I am definitely lusting after Vol 1 Plus and then Vol 2 and 2 Plus, but Money is the only thing holding me back! They sound great.

Haha so funny, I was about to start the same thread this morning.
Good replies, I will also buy it. Have sent them a mail like 2 days ago, does anyone know if you can get EDU discounts from them? And if: on the sale? Anyone just bought them maybe has the answer ...

Just a quicky, you need to add the vienna key for 25 bucks or so to your order right?
Don't have any VSL sounds so far...so..

Thanks Guys. Personally I am looking for a 'dry' sounding woodwind library. And I really like the samples of these guys on their site.

I think I'm sold. Very keen to also see the VSL player and how it works.

It's very unique. I think for their starter WW library you can beat the price right now.

I currently use the VSL Flute 1, not the special edition woodwinds though but I do find VSL flute 1 very nice sounding, perhaps nicer than special edition's flute but from the official sound demo of Special Edition Woodwinds, I think they're personally good enough for woodwinds starters. If i didn't own Cinewinds, BWW Exp B & Hollywood Woodwinds, i'll definitely grab VSL SE Woodwinds. I've been wary on using VSL all this while (for 4 years) coz i'm worried VSL might be hard to programmed compared to Kontakt instruments. I only manage to have the guts to purchase my first VSL product lately and i found out it's pretty easy to use.

i have to say the VSL flute is very dry and sounds very clean. It's very beautiful sounding and it can be used as a more appealing solo woodwind in orchestra context.

Btw, mind if i sabotage this thread?? Since we're talking about VSL products here. May i ask has anyone tried VSL's Saxophones (Saxes)? Any review on the Saxes? Hardly hear ppl mentioning their Saxophones. Kinda curious. Thanks !

VSL Woodwinds are a trap !!!
You buy the SE1 (such a great appetizer) Then start buying Solo Instruments (Not enough !) You get the big libraries (want more, always mooooore) You buy additional instruments...
I started with Woodwinds SE1 too. Now I have Woodwinds I Standard (not SE), almost all Woodwinds II instruments and just purchased the Oboe d'Amore, although my main woodwind library is Berlin Woodwinds.
You are warned.

VSL Woodwinds are a trap !!!
You buy the SE1 (such a great appetizer) Then start buying Solo Instruments (Not enough !) You get the big libraries (want more, always mooooore) You buy additional instruments...
I started with Woodwinds SE1 too. Now I have Woodwinds I Standard (not SE), almost all Woodwinds II instruments and just purchased the Oboe d'Amore, although my main woodwind library is Berlin Woodwinds.
You are warned.
I don´t get the point here. This SE WW 1 are 70 Eur which is for what you get a nowbrainer. In particular you get a whole ensemble with basic articulations. Tell me: Is there any other library available that you get (an now for 52 Eur) something like that? That is very cheap. Of course when you want some more arcticulations or this Oboe d´amore then you have to buy more content. Other developers do exactly the same but at higher rates. So..please..

Top Bottom