What's new

Thoughts on Venice Modern Strings?

Here's a couple of Simple Runs. Yet to use them in a composition. Bearing in mind my limited programming experience & skill, I think they are fairly convincing. I'm sure others could do better, however I still have a lot to learn !

Is this done with the fast legato patch?

There isn't a specific "Fast Legato" Patch. It's the 1st Violin Legato Patch with the "Legato Transition Speed" control turned up to Fast (ish). I also layered in a tiny bit of Staccatissimo.

reviving this post.....this release surprises me....it's really quiet. not much talk about this. even no detailed walkthrough videos by software reviewers. hmm.....no love for this gem ?

What is more interesting, a nifty string library made humble developer - or a bunch of stuff taped to a piano with the hip marketing of a flying death machine?

I've heard great things about light and sound chamber strings as well - but it just doesn't have the insane levels of marketing. I'm not in need of a string library(or really any library) but I'll definitely be waiting to see how dominus 2 ends up.

Hey folks..
So any thoughts on this library now?..
I don't really need it, but I like Fluffy audio...

Any thoughts?

Shown in the video here from 5:00 in.

Morph Control

I've been trying to get this Mahler 5 mvt working with my string libraries for a while. Never found one that could quite do it. This one doesn't sound half bad. Not fully there but better than most libraries I have.

I'm looking forward to getting this library now.

this is one product which I hardly heard much from users. not really any detailed product review available online.

To me, the beauty of this library relies on its sound more than anything.

I will tell you how your competitor will say that wearing a marketer’s hat: “If I wear a composer’s hat, I can honestly say that this is the most incredible sounding library under my hands so far. The tone is to die. Anything other than that is simply and objective comparison with other libraries and I’m sure young composers will find it extremely intuitive to use” 😀

Yeah, really, it's primarily down to Paoling's almost anti-marketing that I'm wanting to buy this..I have Dominus pro, the solo woodwinds and the trio Broz.. just picked up the simple violin last night..if I get anything this black Friday it will probably be these..

*Edit..Oh yeah, I've the piano too .

Last edited:
I don't know what you guys heard in this, but the legato in their articulation video is terrible. Sure, portamento slides sound really nice but normal legato note transitions sound so synthish and yall out here praising it like its the best string library ever.

Here's a couple of Simple Runs. Yet to use them in a composition. Bearing in mind my limited programming experience & skill, I think they are fairly convincing. I'm sure others could do better, however I still have a lot to learn !

This is terrible. Venice Modern String is not designed for this, just like Spitfire BBCSO. For fast runs, the Spitfire Chamber Strings library is unrivaled. With all due respect to the Cinematic Studio Strings, for this they are also less convincing than SCS.

As for Venice Modern Strings in general. Popular love as a CSS, he apparently still does not receive. And this is not due to the lack of powerful marketing. It seems to me.

I don't know what you guys heard in this, but the legato in their articulation video is terrible. Sure, portamento slides sound really nice but normal legato note transitions sound so synthish and yall out here praising it like its the best string library ever.
I also feel something strange about the legato transitions. For me there is something not natural, not convincing. Although the tone of the strings themselves is beautiful and I like it. This is definitely not the best string library. Today for me, the standard of legato transitions is the Performance Samples and CSS/CSSS. The reference for fast runs is SCS.

Last edited:
Hello guys! Thank you for the nice and honest comments.

A couple of things: I love the legato in Venice Modern Strings. It just sounds natural to me, simply because it's not emphasized like in a lot of libraries. There are no bumps and it sounds, to me, as it should be. That said I'm not at all convinced in how we presented it in our tech videos. In the overview video (where you can hear it solo) there's no context regarding the level of the instrument: with no other instrument as reference, it tends to sound harsh, because the lowest dynamics tends to sound too loud when pushed at a too high volume.

Regarding the Tech video, instead, we presented the legato on every instrument performing a little "solo" with every section. This also doesn't appeal to me, since this is a quite bizarre way to work with ensemble strings (to me). It may work for a solo string library, but a string section would always be weird used in that way.

So I believe that the most fair representation on how Venice sounds is by listening to the Mahler demo, Antongiulio's demo or "mainstream" piece's like Riccardo Barba's Shoshin.
These pieces represent a bit more how Venice sounds when used in context and how the legato perform on a real, well written, music pieces.

Also, I tested a lot of the libraries mentioned here when working on Venice, obviously. While I praise CSS as the best of the bunch (by a wide margin, to me, than all the others), Venice is often praised to have a more natural and beautiful sound. This may due to the fact that CSS needs a reverb, while Venice works also just with no reverb added. In the end they both have a different sound and CSS has a very useful and wider selection of short notes.

Regarding marketing. I agree: we have something to learn. The highest level of "good" marketing, to me, is doing a video like our Teaser for Venice Modern Strings, where we actually spent a few days in the city capturing nice footage to make a nice music video out of it.

We try to learn in terms of marketing from other developers, but we just apply the things that we like on our way to communicate. If there's something that we don't really like or we find silly, we ignore that technique altogether.

Top Bottom