Thoughts on Venice Modern Strings?

markleake

Recovering sale addict
I know it's just been released, so maybe not many opinions yet, but I'm wondering what people's thoughts are?

https://fluffyaudio.com/shop/venice-modern-strings/

To me it sounds quite similar to CSS (a good thing), but without the dark tone.

From the walk-throughs it seems to favour a softer gentler style, is less "middle-of-the-road" studio sounding than CSS is, and has lots of useful and very nice sounding articulations. I wonder if it would be a good companion for CSS and Spitfire string libraries?

chocobitz825

I know it's just been released, so maybe not many opinions yet, but I'm wondering what people's thoughts are?

https://fluffyaudio.com/shop/venice-modern-strings/

To me it sounds quite similar to CSS (a good thing), but without the dark tone.

From the walk-throughs it seems to favour a softer gentler style, is less "middle-of-the-road" studio sounding than CSS is, and has lots of useful and very nice sounding articulations. I wonder if it would be a good companion for CSS and Spitfire string libraries?
I’m really on the fence. I wrote off FluffyAudio for awhile because I didn’t spend enough time to appreciate their engine with their solo woodwinds and strings. I have afflatus so I’m not sure if I really need another library like this, but one benefit is their morph control option. I think this could actually work as alternative to some of spitfires similar texture libraries and the polyphonic legato seems like competition for afflatus. It obviously lacks some things, but it sounds great. I’m not sure about the release/legato sound right now, but no way to know but to take the dive and see where it works.

I have a feeling I’ll end up giving into temptation and getting it soon...

My poor wallet

OP
markleake

markleake

Recovering sale addict
I have their Clarinet and Dominus. The clarinet is wonderful; Dominus I haven't used enough yet, but it's good so far. So I'm not too concerned about Fluffy Audio skimping on the quality.

I really liked their Kontakt interfaces in the past - very flexible, but still simple if all you want to do is straight forward key-switching. The interface for VMS looks quite good too, and pretty.

I haven't seen/heard the morph feature you mention. Any reference to look at for this? Not sure if the polyphonic legato is too much of a useful feature. Sometimes these work well and are useful for sketching, other times not. Will have to wait and see.

Afflatus is too rich for me. It does sound good, but I already have plenty of string libraries and can't justify the price. VMS is more appealing to me given the price, especially if it does softer styles well, as that range is something I make a lot of use of in my current string libraries.

chocobitz825

I have their Clarinet and Dominus. The clarinet is wonderful; Dominus I haven't used enough yet, but it's good so far. So I'm not too concerned about Fluffy Audio skimping on the quality.

I really liked their Kontakt interfaces in the past - very flexible, but still simple if all you want to do is straight forward key-switching. The interface for VMS looks quite good too, and pretty.

I haven't seen/heard the morph feature you mention. Any reference to look at for this? Not sure if the polyphonic legato is too much of a useful feature. Sometimes these work well and are useful for sketching, other times not. Will have to wait and see.

Afflatus is too rich for me. It does sound good, but I already have plenty of string libraries and can't justify the price. VMS is more appealing to me given the price, especially if it does softer styles well, as that range is something I make a lot of use of in my current string libraries.
Shown in the video here from 5:00 in.

Morph Control

OP
markleake

markleake

Recovering sale addict
LOL. I watched that and was distracted by my cat, so didn't realise THAT was the morphing engine. :shocked:

Thanks.

Edit: It does automation too. Cool.

GingerMaestro

I bought it this afternoon, have been excited about this library for sometime and whilst I’ve only just had an hour to noodle around, it is living upto expectations. On all the demos I’ve heard of CSS I’ve not been able to get on board with the timbre. I generally like a warm rich full darker sound when I work with a “live” string section, however CSS just doesn’t quite work for me. (BTW I have CSB which I really like) VMS I think for me is the perfect alternative. Similar features to CSS but with a different rounder color for my taste. I also own SStS which on a quick comparison just now, sounds thinner, not as warm or rich, despite similar section sizes. This is all of course subject to personal taste, preference and ultimately what type of music you will be using it for, but my initial exploration is incredibly positive. For $349 I think it’s a steal. More Anon as I start to write with it.

constaneum

i'm still curious with the detailed walkthrough of all the articulations as well as showcasing the sound with different mic perspective.

by the way, can it do fast legato lines (like CSS' Marcato patch ??)

OP
markleake

markleake

Recovering sale addict
Yes, not all the articulations were shown yet. And nothing about the mic positions either.

whiskers

Perpetual student
^ My first impression was actually that it sounds like a missing link between SCS and CSS.
would love to hear more thoughts when you've had time to dig into it. I neither own this nor CSS, but someone mentioned CSS has a 'darker' tone, while this has a bit less so of one.

Also i think the section is larger than SCS, yes?

GingerMaestro

It certainly is lusher and bigger than SCS, which I don't have. It has a rounder tone than SStS which I do own.

SCS=4.3.3.3.3
SstS =8.6.6.6.4
Berlin = 8.6.5.5.4
Venice VMS = 8.6.5.5.3
CSS = 10.7.7.6.5

Of course it's not the size but what you do with it that is important. I love the sound of VMS, it's gorgeous !

Last edited:

paoling

Developer
Hello Guys! Next week we'll release a video showing more of the stuff which makes Venice Modern Strings unique. Section sizes are 86553. About this library being between SCS and CSS is partly true. To me, the beauty of this library relies on its sound more than anything. Moreover we tried to extend the functionality of the different articulations to get the most out of them. But I also feel that people is still wondering why this library is so special, so we'll try to address all these concerns and doubts in this upcoming video. For now, thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot for us.

OP
markleake

markleake

Recovering sale addict
@paoling. The library sounds great to me. And fitting in between CSS and SCS in terms of section size and sound I think is a very good spot to be. I'm wondering why there isn't more noise about the library here, it really does sound very good. Personally, I have too many string libraries already, but this still has me very interested. :whistling:

I'm keen to hear the library in a more cinematic and dramatic/adventure contexts where it is pushed with the dynamics a bit, both shorts and longs, some soaring legato violin lines against the brass section, etc. Just to see how flexible the library is. Plus some melodic leading cello line examples would be good.

artomatic

I compose with my EARS
This string library surprised me! Came out of nowhere.
Was hesitant to listen to the demos because I already own most of the major string libraries and didn't have a need to buy another.
However, I fell in love with VMS' sound. Not too harsh, wonderfully warm and full of life.
Excited to use this on my next project.
Kudos to @paoling and the Fluffy crew!

Saxer

by the way, can it do fast legato lines (like CSS' Marcato patch ??)
I'd be interested in that too. And also if there are 'fast' sustains with immediate note start. I have much too many string libraries unused because they fade in on every sustained note which is nice for slow pads but sounds like pumping in mid tempo or melodic passages. I like to sculpt the envelope via CC by myself.

Batrawi

I was really interested & hooked by the sound when the teaser came out at first. But then when those couple of walkthrough videos came out, I honestly began to lose interest and even started to have some doubts about the library! Frankly I did not like those legato lines nor the shorts at all as they sounded too Midi & robotic to me. Now I don't own the library so I definetly could be (hope to be) wrong while these could just be some poorly massaged/programmed midi lines in those demos. But then I say is that really a possibility if these are official demos made by those who know the library best?!
Anyhow, still keeping an eye/hoping for more musical/naked demos to come that can prove me wrong...