Thoughts on Neutrino...

Discussion in 'Mixing, Post-Production, and Effects' started by sIR dORT, Mar 6, 2019.

1. sIR dORT

sIR dORT Member

Oct 26, 2018
    Decent place to start for a mixing/mastering plugin? I'm gonna use Ozone 8 in some way in the future, but was wondering about this one as well.

David

2. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Do you mean Neutron or Neutrino?

3. OP
    OP
    sIR dORT

sIR dORT Member

Oct 26, 2018
    Neutrino, the free one.

4. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    In that case I would answer this question:
    with: no.

I tried it recently and it does... something, but I can't even say for sure what exactly or whether it's an improvement. I'm just a noob when it comes to mastering, but I'm pretty sure this is not something to "start" with, maybe something to sprinkle on top at the end, but based on what I've read even for that opinions are quite varied.

If you're looking for free mastering plugins to use till you've saved up for Ozone, I would first look at the stuff that comes with your DAW.

By the way you can get Ozone Elements and Neutron Elements (which I both consider quite useful) for almost free every now and then. I think I got at least one of them from a promo on this site:
    https://www.pluginboutique.com/

richardt4520 and sIR dORT like this.
  5. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    I'd also spring for the full version. Personally though, Neutron as a concept doesn't quite do it for me, but Ozone...wow, that's a really useful tool for someone trying to learn about mastering. It's very easy to use and you can see and hear the effects on your music clearly. Neutron doesn't quite wow me in the same way because each track really needs its own custom solution. For that, I prefer the FabFilter line, but it does take a bit of learning how to approach each individual track.

Couldn't recommend Ozone enough on the other hand, and if you do vocals Nectar is similarly educational and useful. In both cases though, the Elements version doesn't go far enough. No reason to spring for the biggest version right out the gate, but go one step higher than Elements to get enough to work with.