Thoughts on EW Hollywood Orchestra

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by jononotbono, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Ashermusic

Ashermusic Senior Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Again, nonsense. It takes "hours to make it work" only if you don't know really how to work it. I can get the results I am seeking quickly because I know what I am doing with it. And much as I love CSS there are things I can do with HS that I cannot with CSS. But yes, the programming with CSS makes it easy for many tasks and does not require knowing it as well as HS does. But easiest is not always best. That attitude has led too a lot of crappy music nowadays :)

The pianos are not part of the Hollywood Orchestra, so a different conversation. I don't love them either.

2. Robert_G

Robert_G It really is just an expensive hobby for me

Feb 6, 2019
    So how quickly can you program legato speed in EW? Wouldnt you rather a simple midi knob?

How does having useful midi knobs contribute to crappy music? You made a statement with no evidence or explanation.

Akarin likes this.
  3. shawnsingh

shawnsingh Active Member

Jun 2, 2018
    There's room enough for different workflows, some will work well with some libraries and not others. And everyone will prioritize differently between effort, results, and their way of working.

Makes sense if HO is terrible for some people and brilliant for some others.

4. Robert_G

Feb 6, 2019
    I would never say that HO is terrible. Just frustrating because it would be so simple for EW to make it awesome with a few adjustments.

I still use it....especially the 6 horns.
    The harps have some speciality patches I love to use...and most instruments have patches that you wont find in other libs....so it is useful....just wish they would improve the ease of use.

The HW solo strings are brutal though....in every way.

shawnsingh likes this.
  5. Ashermusic

Ashermusic Senior Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    -
    Sure, that would be a nice feature. And there are things in CSS that are a pain in the ass as well.

I have neither the time or inclination to continue arguing with you. I stand by my statement that if you can't make great sounding music with HO in a reasonable amount of time you simply lack the skill with it to do so.

And my comment about crappy music meant just what I said, the idea that whatever is easiest is synonymous for some with what is best.

6. hdsmile

hdsmile Member

Dec 12, 2015
    regarding sound, the EW Pianos Platinum Edition is one of the best grand pianos on the market!
    especially the platinum - Steinway & Platinum - Bechstein.

Wolfie2112 likes this.
  7. Robert_G

Feb 6, 2019
    Until you play a run of notes and accidently change velocities....worst velocity transitions ive ever seen.

8. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

Because like I mentioned, the EW stuff sounds better to me (just my opinion of course). It always humours me when people buy a product and then expect it to work within minutes. Manuals are there for a reason.

BTW- legato speeds are controlled by velocity in HS.

Not sure what you mean about EW refusing to add a swell/dynamics knob. CC's are fully assignable by right clicking and choosing MIDI Learn.....just like Kontakt. Also, a large chunk of the HO patches already utilize the MOD wheel for this.

EW Pianos are the worst on the market? All a matter of opinion, but I definitely wouldn't label them as the worst. I personally like them, and use them regularly.

jneebz and hdsmile like this.
  9. Robert_G

Feb 6, 2019
    As for legato speed with velocity....i hate that method....but that may be a matter of preference and as a lifelong pianist, the idea of hitting the keyboard harder or softer to control legato speed just isnt natural for me.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  10. curtisschweitzer

curtisschweitzer New Member

I think this means that HO *isn't terrible at all*, but some people just have different preferences. I'm sure there are libraries on the market that I would find more difficult to use than HO, but that is a problem with my approach to them, not with those libraries.

shawnsingh likes this.
  11. curtisschweitzer

curtisschweitzer New Member

Simple answer, no. I much prefer it.

If HO used a midi knob for this I would find it more, not less, difficult to use. And if I refused to accept that it used a midi knob instead of velocity, I think it would be my own mistake just as much as refusing to work with the idiosyncrasies of real instruments.