Thoughts on EW Hollywood Orchestra

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by jononotbono, Feb 17, 2019.

1. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

So, I've been window shopping online and realised East West have a Valentine's Day Special on for the Hollywood Orchestra (Diamond - 5 Mic Positions). It's $466. That seems like a very good deal.

I don't own much East West stuff but at this price, I'm thinking it could be a great investment (for different musical choices and I love having the choice of different samples to write music with). Just wondering what people think of Hollywood Orchestra? Does it get updated (any bug fixes)? Do people still use it? Sounds like a weird question as samples are samples but there's so much choice out there now. A few people I work with use HB and HS so I have been meaning to get them for a while.

I'm not interested in Composer Cloud. I've got far too many subscriptions and I just like buying the things I use. Each to their own on that front.
    Thanks

Jono

RightOnTime and richardt4520 like this.
  2. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    This question has definitely come up before so if you are looking for more detail try a search and see what comes up. The general consensus, and I agree with it, seems to be that the strings and brass are fantastic to this very day. Still top-tier. The percussion is good too, but I think it's hard to mess percussion up.

The drawbacks are with the woodwinds and the solo strings. The woods are hit and miss but mostly miss. I tend to not like the sound itself, there's a lot more phasing, and the legato doesn't really make a convincing performance. Most of those criticisms apply to the solo strings as well. Even their own demos for those don't sound good.

richardt4520 likes this.
  3. gsilbers

gsilbers Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com

Oct 5, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I like it. Still think its a very good sample orchestra. EW kinda flew under the radar once cinesamples and spitfire started to get more and more famous and later cinematic studio strings and others.
    There is obviously hundred of threads but its good to gt a new one sometimes since new prodcuts appear or there are updates.
    I personally do not use EWHO because of play and its also so big i ran out of streaming drives so i had to make choices. Play has gotten better though and many guys are happy with it but im just more confortable with kontakt.
    The sounds are still top notch imo. if you google comparisons videos youll see several videos of poeple playing it against the other orchestras around. but there is no dought in anyones mind that for sure its the best bang for your buck. it used to cost sooo much and now its only less than 500.

richardt4520 and jononotbono like this.
  4. richardt4520

richardt4520 Active Member

Feb 2, 2018
    I haven't been using it in a while since I went on a few buying sprees and I'm really going to have to revisit it. The percussion is nice, if a touch on the fluffy/grainy side recording-wise, but it sits better in a mix than many of the other percussion libraries I own.

The brass is good, particularly the horns. I have some issue with the tuba looping that never seems to work right on some notes, but I mainly use Cinebrass and Forzo now so I haven't worried about it. Those horns though!

I actually like the woodwinds. They do get to be a bit phasey when doing dynamic swells but the English horn and some of the low winds are pretty cool. I have a few good woodwind libraries so haven't been using it that much.

Lastly, the strings are nice, if a little outdated. I'm not that impressed with the legato, but doing swells with one CC and adjusting vibrato with another, you can make some pretty realistic lines. When I was using it, I'd usually go up a little on vibrato on note changes and back down to settle in on the note, like real players adjusting their pitch as the note settles in. I tend to use other stuff for strings now but it can get the job done. So basically, for an old library, it still stands as a good one with a lot of value for the money, imo.

jononotbono likes this.
  5. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    I think it's a phenomenal deal. I very much like the sound of Hollywood Orchestra and use it on every track. If I had initially spent the time learning the ins and outs of HO/D, I could have saved myself a lot of money. The only weak spot, imo, is that there are no ensemble winds.

On a tech note: Play 5 is rock solid on Windows for me and has always performed well.

jononotbono and richardt4520 like this.
  6. Robert_G

Robert_G It really is just an expensive hobby for me

Feb 6, 2019
    +1 on all that. I have composer cloud plus and EW on a whole is hit or miss. The clarinet essemble......i cant even describe it...just awful. The flute is passable at best.

RightOnTime and Casiquire like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Does anyone have any favourite tracks or mockups using EWHO?

Would love to hear some more pieces etc!

8. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    I'll add the few I know of. Here is one that shows how agile it can be:

Lord of the Rings

The next one is supposedly put together by Thomas Bergersen. This is probably the strongest of the demos.

jononotbono likes this.
  9. OleJoergensen

OleJoergensen Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Denmark
    I think Hollywood orchestra is a great library, especially the strings.
    Now I more use never libraries because I can get the result faster...
    Anyway, here are some non-epic examples......

The String intro is HS layered with Light and sound chamber strings, the rest is “only” HS (Brass Berlin):

An old one, al Hollywood orchestra:

A transcription, al Hollywood orchestra:

An other transcription, al Hollywood orchestra:

Casiquire and richardt4520 like this.
  10. Daryl

Daryl Senior Member

Mar 25, 2006
    I only have the Strings, and whilst the sounds are good, the quality control is pretty bad. Expect to have to work around out of tune, noisy and poorly edited samples. As long as you have the time to do that, you should be able to get good results. Having said that, the Strings are currently so cheap, possibly it would be churlish to expect something better for the price.

11. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    Still a valuable library (I like EW Woodwinds the least) but brass and strings still can hold up with current releases. (Though I am done with supporting eastwest)

12. sIR dORT

sIR dORT Active Member

Oct 26, 2018
    I second what people have said in previous posts: brass and strings sound excellent, percussion (IMO) as well, and winds not as much. Winds have a poor legato sound and the higher shorts (i.e. flute staccato) don't sound very good. HOWEVER, strings and brass are lights out. This was my first major purchase for orchestral composing, and I use it on literally every cue. Legato slur sounds really good, shorts are for the most part convincing, and cross fading between layers is smooth. Percussion has some good stuff as well. IMO, the biggest difference between gold and diamond is main mics vs close. Besides that (and divisi for strings), there isn't a massive difference between the other mic positions given the library's dryness.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    RightOnTime and Casiquire like this.
  13. Jdiggity1

Jdiggity1 Stroking The Frog

Jan 31, 2012
    La La Land
    I'm sure Diamond makes things easier, but I've been using Gold exclusively for a while now. Lots of tricks you can do to fake a farther perspective.
    But also....
    DUDE YOU JUST BOUGHT HZ STRINGS.... SLOW. DOWN.

Alex Fraser and jononotbono like this.
  14. brenneisen

brenneisen Active Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Divisi mics, not real divisi. Good to point out.

15. sIR dORT

sIR dORT Active Member

Oct 26, 2018
    Good correction

16. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
    The Urge for Collecting is strong in this one.

17. Leon Portelance

Leon Portelance Composer | Songwriter

Jan 2, 2017
    Corning, California
    I use all of it in my template except for the winds: I use Berlin Winds,

18. Sopranos

Sopranos Senior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Around the same price point - what is the preference around here between Hollywood Orchestra compared to Albion One?

19. poetd

poetd Active Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Just so you know, it's been 60% off most of November to Jan, and only just gone back UP to 50% off.

20. Jdiggity1

Jdiggity1 Stroking The Frog

Jan 31, 2012
    La La Land
    Completely different. Hollywood Orchestra is much better for orchestral writing, and if you like to write for each individual instruments in a family. Albion One doesn't give you control over the individual instruments, but instead provides ensemble patches such as Strings, Low Brass, Mid Brass, High Brass, etc etc. (instead of Trumpets, trombones, tuba, solo french horn, etc.)
    The AlbONE orchestra has a much more 'produced' and hyped sound suitable for TV and library writing where all you need is some big punchy staccatos you can play with two hands and be done in 5 minutes.
    But AlbONE also gives you a big selection of really nice synths, pads, drones, and sound design that work well to fill out epic or hybrid tracks. As well as bigger sounding drums and percussion that are more suitable for epic & trailer music.
    So... I guess overall, AlbONE covers more ground, lets you work quickly, but with less detail and flexibility. Hollywood Orch allows you to get more detailed with your orchestrations, and write for soloists, but might require a bit more work to produce a hyped 'TV' or epic/hybrid sound.

Sopranos likes this.