What's new

Thoughts on 8Dio Solo Violin Designer 2

Well I was generalising of course. But the point about phrase libraries is that they do a job, its not "cheating" as such. Yes its not always as satisfying and if you trying to create original "music" maybe not the right tool.

My point is some of those here have a downer on phrase based tools purely on the higher moral ground. But those working in the trenches probably not so much unless they only ever compose themes of original music and never utilise music as FX or dramatic flourishes.

Now some phrase libraries permit a lot of creativity and thought to be put into using them and are a joy to manipulate, then there are others like Solo Violin Designer that are not...

Well I was generalising of course. But the point about phrase libraries is that they do a job, its not "cheating" as such. Yes its not always as satisfying and if you trying to create original "music" maybe not the right tool.

My point is some of those here have a downer on phrase based tools purely on the higher moral ground. But those working in the trenches probably not so much unless they only ever compose themes of original music and never utilise music as FX or dramatic flourishes.

Now some phrase libraries permit a lot of creativity and thought to be put into using them and are a joy to manipulate, then there are others like Solo Violin Designer that are not...

I agree. I have used and still use phrase libraries like the 8DIO Forgotten Voices ones and got some really nice results with them.

That's why i pointed out the hypocrisy of having a moral issue with phrase libraries while using sample libraries in general. You're playing back a recording of someone else's performance in both cases. I'm unfortunately not in the trenches with you guys making good money doing this but I'm still pounding out those short cues and slowly getting tracks in commercial libraries. Really appreciate the insight from you guys doing this for a living.

Well I have used the Designer several times a few years ago but found the concept quite strange. What this is extremely good for is if you need certain solo string scratches and effects or very fast runs with a human touch and so on. If you want to write "normal" tracks with it it is becoming totally bonkers because you have to timestretch, pitch-shift and cut / combine everything until it finally works. You CAN get neat results, but: It´s becoming quite crazy. Here is a track that I have written with it years ago. Like I said: If you need certain uncommon sounds / effects this can be helpful.

May I ask what libraries are used to compose for this?

May I ask what libraries are used to compose for this?
I have used the EWQL Pianos Platinum Boesendorfer, the 8Dio Violin Designer and the Misfit Stompbox and Washboard. I think this was the Ilya Efimov Accordion (awesome instrument btw and IMO stil the best accordion combined with his russian bayan. It is often on sales - up to 40 or 50%. One of my fav developers ;) ) and the Bass is the Acoustic Samples Upright.

I have used the EWQL Pianos Platinum Boesendorfer, the 8Dio Violin Designer and the Misfit Stompbox and Washboard. I think this was the Ilya Efimov Accordion (awesome instrument btw and IMO stil the best accordion combined with his russian bayan. It is often on sales - up to 40 or 50%. One of my fav developers ;) ) and the Bass is the Acoustic Samples Upright.

Wonderful music.
Thank you, I think I am going to grab these at a later time and practice to compose the same type.

Here's my current main thought on the subject: did anyone else who presumed that they were buying Solo Violin Designer 2 in that recent flash sale wind up with a library whose instrument names and features do not match those in the website product page's promotional video, and which — based upon the included pdf "Documentation" — appears to actually be some six-year-old, long-discontinued precursor library from 2012 called “Studio Solo Violin”?

Anyway, 8Dio confirmed that there was a website glitch, which generated a set of links for me which contained the way-old legacy version's files. I was just sent a fresh set of links, and I'm about to d/l the correct version now.

If you bought Solo Violin Designer 2, you should check to make sure that you actually got the correct version.

Two easy ways to tell — per my previous comments in this thread:

(1) do your UI elements match those in the video that I linked to earlier?

(2) which product's user guide do you see in the "Documentation" folder, and what is its copyright date?

Anyways, the new version should be fun.

And 8Dio should totally send me a few vouchers for helping them spot and remediate that website glitch, before it created an even larger problem for them............ :thumbsup:

And 8Dio should totally send me a few vouchers for helping them spot and remediate that website glitch, before it created an even larger problem for them
Don't hold your breath..I found a glitch in Audiomodern Paths (1&2 bundle) where the loops didn't play simultaneously in Kontakt 5.8 but worked in 5.6.. They thanked me, said they'd fix it, and I never heard from them again..

Weak with 'phrase' pros & cons. Also have most of Sonokinetic Libs.
OTH, $58. seems easy buy if content here is useful to many and not available elsewhere ?

I own the violin but have honestly never used it in a piece. It's easier for me to just write my own melody lines instead of either

a) trying to make a prewritten line work in something that I've already written with not much option to change the line itself-other than just programming it myself or
b) creating a line from the available phrase excerpts and writing a piece around that.

I'll eventually mess around with trying those approaches with it but my workflow is faster just playing stuff so, speaking for myself, I'll end up using it more as a brainstorming tool or when I'm having a bout of writer's block. I'm sure for some people, working with those phrases is an extremely fast way for them to work so it's more my weakness than the library's.

As a pianist, no 'string' instrument chops to play-in. Always enjoy trying & learning. was hoping that libs like this could help the process ??

As a pianist, no 'string' instrument chops to play-in. Always enjoy trying & learning. was hoping that libs like this could help the process ??

I have emotive strings and action strings with my newly aquired komplete ultimate.
The phrases in them are much more generic and can easily be hidden in a workpiece. The best part of the NI libraries is that they can be tempo sync while each phrase has its original recorded tempo listed beside the phrase. No suprises of what youre getting.

These ones from 8dio even though i dont own them....I would have to agree with previous posts that they would be difficult to put in an original workpiece. I mean....you dont just take 4 bars from moonlight sonata and meld it into an original piece you just made. Plus syncing with your daw looks like a nightmare....if not impossible

If i was doing commercials or promotions though, i think they could be great for time saving oneshots.

Last edited:
I own the violin but have honestly never used it in a piece. It's easier for me to just write my own melody lines instead of either

a) trying to make a prewritten line work in something that I've already written with not much option to change the line itself-other than just programming it myself or
b) creating a line from the available phrase excerpts and writing a piece around that.

I also have the violin one and also never used it, so I am going to skip the cello one even though I prefer cello to violin. I don't mind phrase-like libraries, but I feel that these ones are a bit limited and that Richard's option b) is probably the only way I could use them. The lack of tempo-syncing makes them hard for me to use anyway.

Another helpful post and reminder of existing tools ….. :blush: Have K11U and now K12.
Will spend time using these capable libs before adding new …. :thumbsup:

I would definitely investigate Emotive/Action Strings before the 8dio ones. A lot of people here give the NI Emotive/Action Strings a lot of negativity, but they can be really useful in some situations...and the generic nature of them just makes them that much better than other phrase bases libraries....not to mention Tempo Sync in is a non negotiable...for me anyways...

Top Bottom