What's new

Thoughts on 8Dio Solo Violin Designer 2

richardt4520

I bought it for the cheap price. It sounds fine but is kind of a silly concept: mapped out loops of parts of melodies from public domain compositions. Im sure ill find some use for some pasted together js bach violin melodies in the background somewhere but not sure if it will get much use otherwise. I dont regret it due to the low cost and will get that money's worth from it. Not at full price though.

Michel Simons

I got it as a "free" library with the 2016 25 Days Of Christmas, but have hardly tried to use it. I had a go with it a couple of days ago, but again it didn't really work in the piece I was working on. It probably works best if you try to write something around it in stead of using it within an existing musical context.

wst3

my office these days
Cool idea, might be more useful with a ton more content, as delivered it is kind of limited. I also purchased it at a discount (curiosity go the better of me), and I don't regret it, but if I had it to do over again I might not buy it. Now I need to fire it up and try to do something useful!!!

Alex Niedt

Got it for free and haven't touched it since playing through the phrases once, honestly. Definitely something to write around rather than incorporate into your own ideas, which is not my style, but if that's your thing, you may really like it. I actually thought about uninstalling it just yesterday, haha

richardt4520

Just waiting for some commercial / trailer to come out that is completely based around a Prokifiev or Brahms violin samples. And the track is entirely credited to some guy in his bedroom pounding out trailer beds based on loops.
True! haha Don't get me wrong! Technically, if you use a sample library, you're just playing back recordings of what other musicians played. I don't have a big moral issue with the idea of it but from a practical standpoint, why waste 15 minutes going through violin loops, trying to find something that will fit what you wrote when you could just spend 15 seconds writing something yourself. These types of libraries are big time wasters, imo. Yet I bought this anyway. Sigh....

richardt4520

Something like hiring a session musician to improvise on your song?

Ha ha...do you like it (in spite of the negatives?)
Heh! I'm probably in the majority above who played through a few banks of loops and set it to the side. It sounds nice for what it is I guess and I'll probably find a loop here or there to use as a flourish, so it's cool. But it seems like something that would actually take more time looking through all the loops to find something that fit a piece rather than just improvising a few lines to find something that would fit better. I think all the posters above were absolutely right on this being something that you'd probably use to start a track and work around it as opposed to using it in a track you've already written. But then again, going too far down that path and you'd end up with what august80 was talking about, for sure

procreative

There are three types of composers round here:

1. Those that spend their time recreating "mockups" of all your favourite film themes.

2. Those that like to write original suites of music, dreaming of that mega budget film where they can exercise this talent in all its glory.

3. Jobbing media composers, who get paid based on turning around zero deadline projects to a brief.

1-2 probably rarely use any phrase libraries (apart from phrases like "Tremolo" or "Trills").

3 probably lives off these for those flourishes, mood setters of scene changers.

This title is pretty inflexible as its not synced and as others have said finding a phrase is a deep pit of misery...

However while we all dream of composing magnum opuses, in reality watch most TV and Film and you come to realise a lot of great music is more about whats left out than what goes in. Many of the best shows have the odd ominous Bass Clarinet run here or riser there, not constant in your face orchestration all the way through (apart from Marvel films that have incessant msuic to match the incessant FX and incessant foley sound).

I do sometimes thing too many think they will get a free reign to Wagner away when in reality just like Graphic Designers whose clients hate Orange and dislike Fonts with curly edges, the director calls the shots and sometimes all they want is an Oboe to play a 5 second run.

Which sometimes is where that phrases library fits the bill.

OP
Y

YaniDee

There are three types of composers round here
And then the one's that don't hang around here, who still write using a guitar, or piano..a dying breed I'm afraid, but thank god there's still a few around!
I agree with the above comments..a lot of reality, cop shows, etc just seem to use sounds from Heaviocity Damage, and variations there of..
It seems that blatant loops are shunned by most at VI, but a lot of the libraries discussed here such as Sonokinetik, Keepforest, Shreddage, Action Strings, et al, (basically phrase libs with more control) are more respected.
Of course to a "pure" composer, using notation and imagination, this is all "cheating"..

Last edited:

Michel Simons

FYI, this can't be tempo-synced to your DAW. The tempo is adjustable, but you can't set it to, say, 90 BPM.
Yeah, I noticed that as well. The adjustability of the tempo is rather limited though (as in half-tempo, double tempo). I guess for me that's actually the biggest limitation. Putting it in a different key is do-able with Melodyne, but getting it to play in time to your project tempo without audible artifacts is probably more of a drag.

1. Those that spend their time recreating "mockups" of all your favourite film themes.

2. Those that like to write original suites of music, dreaming of that mega budget film where they can exercise this talent in all its glory.

3. Jobbing media composers, who get paid based on turning around zero deadline projects to a brief.
Hmmm, I don't fit any of those….

SoundChris

Well I have used the Designer several times a few years ago but found the concept quite strange. What this is extremely good for is if you need certain solo string scratches and effects or very fast runs with a human touch and so on. If you want to write "normal" tracks with it it is becoming totally bonkers because you have to timestretch, pitch-shift and cut / combine everything until it finally works. You CAN get neat results, but: It´s becoming quite crazy. Here is a track that I have written with it years ago. Like I said: If you need certain uncommon sounds / effects this can be helpful.

Shad0wLandsUK

I got it as a "free" library with the 2016 25 Days Of Christmas, but have hardly tried to use it. I had a go with it a couple of days ago, but again it didn't really work in the piece I was working on. It probably works best if you try to write something around it in stead of using it within an existing musical context.
Oh that thing sitting on my hard drive not being used, apart from once to try out the phrases. Which I ALSO got for free on the deals...

:rolleyes:

TigerTheFrog

Amphibiousician
Yeah, I noticed that as well. The adjustability of the tempo is rather limited though (as in half-tempo, double tempo). I guess for me that's actually the biggest limitation. Putting it in a different key is do-able with Melodyne, but getting it to play in time to your project tempo without audible artifacts is probably more of a drag.
Hmmm, I don't fit any of those….
Yes, I am a non-person too. I have been making music with computers for over thirty years for the sheer love of it, and have chosen to make my living in the movie business in another way. The soundtracks I've written have been for my own movies or as favors for my friend's movies.

But I use and buy many of the same virtual instruments you all do. (Not everybody who has an expensive piano or a guitar or cello in their house monetizes it). So I am very grateful to have found this website and appreciate the thousands of deeply useful things I have learned from the professionals who come here. Life without EvilDragon? I don't want to think about it.

Shad0wLandsUK

I also fit none of these ;)

I was looking into Composing as a career in the past, but I am blessed with being technically minded from almost birth :/

So I have chosen to take the route of IT instead, working for a Dementia Charity!
Which I love and to be honest, most of my time here is spent either offering the little advice i know, tinkering or simply having a great conversation with lots of different characters on here :)

Would not change any of it!

Top Bottom