1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on 8dio Adagietto (currently at $48)...?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Puzzlefactory, Jun 22, 2018.

1. thevisi0nary

thevisi0nary Senior Member

Jan 17, 2018
  2. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    Lots of mixed reports on this one. I'm a sucker for short note articulations - one can never have enough of these in the palette - and I really like what I'm hearing in the video walkthrough here. Great, raw tone. But what I can't really tell is if this thing actually holds up when trying to do nimble, rhythmically interesting passages, ostinati and stuff like that? Some libs sound great when you play some random notes on the keyboard, but totally fall over when you put them to a real test. Any opinions on the actual usefulness of the shorts and how well they handle quicker tempi and variation?

3. OP
    OP
    Puzzlefactory

Puzzlefactory Senior Member

Nov 22, 2016

I just tried copying and pasting an ostinato from a CSS track in a piece I’m working on and it seems to hold up well.

Even seems to have same delay time as CSS.

Very nice for adding a bit of extra grit to the shorts passages.

Zoot_Rollo and Jimmy Hellfire like this.
  4. ScarletJerry

ScarletJerry Senior Member

Feb 16, 2014
    My wallet is slowly opening, but I’m asking myself “why?” I have CS2, Soaring Strings, agitato grandiose legato (violins only) and I just bought agitation grandiose sordinos (because I didn’t have any true sordinos in my collection).

Is there a reason to buy this library? How are these sordinos different from the dedicated sordino library that I just purchased during the recent 8dio sale? I’m less worried about spending the money than using up hard drive space.

Scarlet Jerry

5. Johnny

Johnny Senior Member

Yes! Adagietto is merely the greatest hits of the complete Adagio.

Mike Marino and Zoot_Rollo like this.
  6. Vik

Vik Senior Member

Dec 15, 2013
    I’ve read that section sizes between Adagio and Adagietto aren’t identical.

7. jtnyc

jtnyc Senior Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Adagio has ensemble, divisi and solo for each instrument. Adagietto only has the ensembles.

8. Mike Marino

Mike Marino Senior Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Orlando, Fl.
    Screenshot of the ensemble and individual sections patches.

Adagietto_Ensemble Patches.jpg Adagietto_Sections Patches.jpg

9. robgb

robgb I Have Strong Opinions

Apr 6, 2016
    They sound different, slightly, but sordinos are only a small part of the library. Sustains only.

10. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Jul 11, 2006

Well, the 8Dio website does say that "Adagietto is based on Full Ensemble Strings from the Adagio collection."

Then again, the non-sale price of the All Adagio Strings Bundle is $398, while the pre-sale price of Adagietto is $399 . . .

Is there really no meaningful difference between Adagietto's Full Ensemble Strings and Adagio's?

Regardless, I hope there'll be an upgrade path for Adagiettoans, the next time the AASB goes on sale... :)

11. richardt4520

richardt4520 Member

Feb 2, 2018
    Spent more time with it and love the shorts and sordinos. Well worth the paltry $48

muziksculp and Zoot_Rollo like this.
  12. jtnyc

jtnyc Senior Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Adagio has a bunch of spiccato types. For the violins there's feathered, on bow, tapped, bouncing, and arp. Similar, but not exactly the same for the violas, cellos and basses. Adagio also has con legno. There are about 6 different legatos in Adagio. A few more then Adagietto has. Adagio also has phrases and fx patches. Adagio also has the Loure patches which are tempo synced rhythmic samples. They don't work. Some of the legatos in Adagio are not very good and I think that's why they didn't include them in Adagietto. Adagio is a bit of a mine field. Some great stuff and a lot of half baked semi functional stuff. Kind of a mess. Anthology, which I upgraded to is a boiled down version of Adagio and Agitato and got rid of a lot of the bad stuff, but they also got rid of some of the good stuff, so it's all a big mess IMO.

If your only interested in the ensembles (and not the divisi and solo) I think Adagietto will suffice. I like the divisi stuff, but aside from that, Adagietto is the best of the ensemble part of Adagio, and at $49, it's a fantastic deal. If I could get my money back for Adagio and pay $49 for Adagietto, I would in a heartbeat.

alanb likes this.
  13. Apina

Apina Active Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Adagietto is pretty much useless for me. There are some really bad resonances which make it unplayable. I've never bought anything from this company after this experience.

14. tav.one

tav.one Brown Composer

Can you share an example? Maybe it’s something I can deal with.

15. Vik

Vik Senior Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Is it possible to update from Adagietto to Adagio?

16. premjj

premjj Senior Member

Mar 1, 2017
    A lot of unhappy 8dio customers here on the forum. Wondering if anyone from 8dio is reading this thread and would want to add their comments to clarify about the library's shortcomings that are being brought up here repeatedly, in one aspect or another.

Some users seem to love it while some see it as money completely wasted. Whose version do we follow?

Will really help first time users to go ahead and make the purchase confidently.

Thanks

17. Johnny

Johnny Senior Member

There was a podcast from 8Dio about Adagietto upon launch, where they specifically talked about how Troels and Collin literally listened to every note in every patch of the entire Adagio Series and hand picked their favorite takes for Adagietto. So basically, if you buy The Adagio Collection, you are getting everything rather than a hand picked selection of the best takes.

18. Vik

Vik Senior Member

Dec 15, 2013
    But why, then, are the section sizes different, and why did they just tell me that Adagietto is from"a separate recording session to Adagio strings"? That's an actual quote.

19. Johnny

Johnny Senior Member

To answer a few questions: There is an essence to the complete Adagio Library that even Agitato and Century can not replicate, that is not the same in Anthology. I personally enjoy the innocence to Adagio. Adagio was carving a brand new path, (to boldly go where no man...) what we forget sometimes is that Adagio opened up a new frontier to what was once the "static" sampling days. 8Dio posted vlogs during the making of Century Strings, where Troels admittedly explained that there was experience gained during the production of Adagio and Agitato, (and although Adagio holds its own character and beauty?) that knowledge and experience was then translated over to the production of Century Strings- the 3rd generation of string installments from 8Dio. So if you are looking for an accumulation of aquired sampling knowledge and highly playable scripting? Purchase Century Strings. If you are simply looking for that gorgeous, lush, evocative and yet sometimes temperamental string sound? Purchase Adagio or Adagietto. Adagietto was merely designed to be the best sample takes from the Adagio series in one playable engine. Adagietto was marketed to be a comprehensive, competitively consumer priced point of entry, for any aspiring composer whom is new to the industry and might not have the desire to own all of the Adagio series all at the same time. Adagietto is also a time saving tool for professionals whom want to have all of the string sections at their very finger tips for quick and easy writing.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  20. Jeez, I wish I felt this sentiment. I have never been able to achieve this with Adagio, but that's just me.