Thought on Komplete Kontrol

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by nik, May 7, 2018.

1. Manaberry

Manaberry Senior Member

Apr 9, 2018
    With Spitfire Libraries for instance I lock the articulations to UACC. Then on TouchOSC (Android tablet in my case), there is a key note assigned to an articulation (from C-2 to B-1). The midi signal is translated into a KSP script that convert it to UACC to change the articulation; the note itself is recorded in the midi track with the instrument midi notes.

Most of the job is done in Kontakt, so you should be able to do that in Logic.

2. xgman

xgman New Member

Feb 27, 2018
    I have had a S88 and now a S61 Mk2. The most helpful thing for me is the light guide for seeing where patches and control keys are on supported plugs. That has been somewhat of a game changer. It would be hard for me to move away from the Komplete system now. Beyond that, I don't take enough advantage of the keyboards built in integrated controls but they seem to do the job for basic things pretty well. The S88 has not yet updated to mk2 so if you want hammer action I'd wait. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with my 61mk2 but sometimes miss the full 88 visible and sometimes the S88's piano action.

3. Garry

Garry Senior Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    Quick update: I've been using KK since my epiphany!! There are a couple of other things that extend this even more (and at the same time, increases the list of features I wasn't previously aware of!!)

- as of KK 2.0, NKS now supports effects, as well as instruments, so you can load up your audio effects, whereas before you could only load up instruments. Using the preview function, this makes it really useful to quickly go through effects, and also to consolidate screen space, as you add each effect separately within a single KK instance.

- I've got really interested in EastWest's composer cloud, and as of earlier this year, Play is now supported in KK, so you can load up all of composer cloud into KK, and they show up just like any NI library! Very cool that this then provides a great way to integrate Play within Kontakt (it's not exactly that, but the effect is the same).

Again, maybe others already knew of these features, but since they're fairly recent, perhaps it may be new info to some, and like me, might change how you view the value of KK.

JohnG likes this.
  4. I just bought an S88, as I was looking for a weighted 88 key controller. Haven't spent a ton of time with it yet, but so far this thing is amazing and I personally love the keybed. And yes, having all of the EW stuff right in KK is sweet. I love my Nektar Impact LX88+, but since taking piano lessons, I prefer the weighted action of the S88.