Thought on i9 9980XE CPU?

Discussion in 'PC/Mac Builders, Mods, Peripherals - New' started by jononotbono, Mar 4, 2019.

1. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

I'm doing a bit of online window shopping for PC components and stuck on a CPU.

I think I am going to build a Thunderbolt 3 ready PC (to use with a UA Apollo X6 interface) and it's definitely going to be single CPU (Dual CPU slaves for samples) for speed. I was thinking about the i9 7900X. It's a 10 core. Any thoughts on this?

I know it's not the latest and greatest but I'm hoping that will make it more affordable.

Thanks! :)

JohnG likes this.
  2. Pictus

Pictus Member

Aug 14, 2018
  3. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    I just bought two i9-9900k processors for about 10-15% more than one of the 7900x CPUs.

The 9900k CPUs sport a mere 8 cores but I'm using hyper threading (so I can pretend it's 16) and pretty darn happy with them. I think they are overclocked to about 4.7GHz and I'm able to load quite a few samples into them (VE Pro standalone host) with a buffer of 256 for strings and 128 for winds/choir/brass.

Probably for the less-scripted strings I could drop to 128 but haven't tried.

jononotbono likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

The charts are very interesting. Looks like the 7990X is quite low down vs the other options! Hmmm.

5. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

I was considering the 9900K. Good to know they are working out for you! Truly lost in what CPU to buy at the moment. At least I've decided I'm going to build a PC. That's at least a start!

steveo42 and JohnG like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

The 9980XE is a total beast. Financially crippling as well but that chart shows it's incredible!

7. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    Maybe you're trying to make a single computer that does everything?

That CPU (the 9980XE) looks amazing, for sure. Pretty costly; and I wonder how many motherboards can really handle it.

Shad0wLandsUK likes this.
  8. tack

tack Damned Dirty Ape

Aug 3, 2013
    How many of us actually run at audio buffers of 64 or 128 samples? I suspect most of this audience actually runs at 256 or even 512, which is going to change the ranking of those graphs in non-trivial ways.

9. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Just want to make sure the computer is fast and will last for a few years. Going to use a couple of Mac Pro 5,1s for slaves (they are after all, designed to be on 24/7 and quite a cheap option for a 12 core machine). I'm swaying towards a 10 core 9900X. Seems to be a powerful CPU and not as bank busting as the 9980XE. I have a feeling Cubase doesn't like above 14cores but I could be wrong.

10. steveo42

steveo42 Active Member

Jan 20, 2013
    I'm totally lost as well. I'm currently running a 4790K @ 4.0ghz with 16G memory.
    My primary need is very low latency and the ability to run VSTi at those low latencies like 64/128 without triggering DPC with clicks/pops etc. I'm primarily a pianist so things like Ivory, Production Grand, Ravenscroft 275 etc with full polyphony and again at 64/128 which I can do with my current system but I'm planning ahead.

I'm completely confused at this point if an upgrade will bring me a real world performance increase or is going to send me into the "clicks/pops" bottomless pit.

So which processor would give such an upgrade from a 4790K @ 4.10ghz?

11. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    Are there boards for the 9900K who are Win 7 64 bit driver friendly? Anybody a clue? In my local hardware store they told me that upgrading to a 9900K would mean to switch to win 10 because there are no boards anymore with win 64 driver support?

12. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    I would be amazed if you can still use Windows 7 on an i9 CPU/ chipset.

13. AlexanderSchiborr

May 1, 2014
    Maybe odd for many others but I love Windows 7 64 bit and think that it is (for me) the best windows ms ever created. However win 7 is discountinued and its getting difficult to get new hardware with win 7 support so I will keep my i7 5820 K for next 30 years as it seems. :rofl:

JohnG and jononotbono like this.
  14. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    You have plenty of company. I only upgraded because I was having problems with several Win 7 machines (unrelated, as far as I could tell, to the operating system). When you're ready, Windows 10 is not bad at all. Far better than 8.

At that time, get Windows 10 Pro though, or you will find it updating itself stealthily every time an ethernet cable gets within yards of it.

15. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

I loved Win 7 but changed my Slave to win 10 Pro when I moved to Mac a few years ago. It’s been as good as gold.

Definitely use Pro version. You can stop auto updates (you can’t do this on regular version).

16. AlexanderSchiborr

May 1, 2014
    I have found a way to kill the updates on my home edition (laptop) via multiple changes in the windows update settings and imo the crucial thing to kill events in the task planner which then prevents win 10 starting update routines. For a year since then no updates on my laptop.

JohnG and jononotbono like this.
  17. DANIELE

DANIELE Active Member

I use this thread since my question is similar: do you think that going from a 7820X to a 9920X or a 9940X or a 9960X it is a good investiment?

I need more cores!!!

jononotbono likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Thought I’d change the thread title as I’m interested in anyone’s thoughts on an i9 9980XE and what Cubase is like with it.

Dunshield likes this.
  19. benatural

benatural Active Member

Dec 29, 2014
    I just picked up an i9 9940x which has 14 cores. I used to be able to run an old Dell 8700 desktop with a 4 core processor at 3 GHz, 64 GB of RAM, a couple SSDs, an GTX 970, a Lynx AES16e, outboard reverbe, running a very large template (2700+ midi channels, 18-ish VEP instances) in Nuendo 8 with 2 VEP slaves, all at a 256 buffer, sometimes at 128. With more activity in the session, sometimes I'd need to bump it up to 512. Nuendo's ASIO meter is usually about 2/3rds the way up.

On the new, arguably beefier machine - 14 cores at 3.3 GHz, 128 gb ram, AMD GPU, more ssds, same DAW, VEP slaves and hardware... 256 gives me pops and clicks with just a piano patch, so it's up to 512. Asio meter is barely 18% and never red lines.

Not sure what it is. In reviews on Anandtech, I've seen indications that DPC latency is generally higher on the x299 chipset than on say, Z390. If I had to guess I'd say it's that the drivers are immature and the hardware is too new. Hopefully over time this improves, but who knows?

jamwerks likes this.
  20. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    Wow -- good example of how all this stuff feels at times like alchemy. Sometimes you get the gold, sometimes the dross.