What's new

Thought about Grief and Loss

NYC Composer

I lost my wife in December. That’s always a strange thing to read back:”lost my wife.” Damnit, I’m always leaving things about-keys, wallet, phone....wife.

I’ve started collating my thoughts about the losses I’ve experienced in life and the ensuing grief. I’d be pleased to have anyone add their insights to it, agree, disagree, whatever.

Thoughts about Grief and Loss

In periods of grief, we are more tempted than usual to make seemingly karmic connections out of random events.

The wish for a magical do-over lasts a long time during periods of loss, especially regarding death or the firm and final end of a relationship. The illogical thought “when will this be over?” is an example of this aspect of loss.

Grief is a jealous mistress-it does not want to let the grief-stricken go.

Recovery from grief is often a halting process, happening in fits and starts. Recovery is hard to recognize.

The efficacy of comfort giving is much more about the willingness or ability of the recipient to accept comfort than it is about the skill of the comforter. By and large, there’s very little to be said that’s comforting anyway unless the grief stricken person is open to comfort. Religion, therapy and community can be helpful as resources, but again, one has to be open to those things.

Hedonism can be distracting during the middle periods of grief, but not for very long. Drug use can be especially helpful for numbing but is generally debilitating to personal health. It’s a snake eating its tail.

Sleep is a problem after a loss. One has a hard time halting thought about the loss and getting to sleep, while waking means one has to start the whole process again.

After a loss, the desire to make things orderly is sometimes overwhelming. Beds get made, dishes washed. After a while it can often seem pointless to create order when nothing will return to normal regardless of neatness.

After a loss, the need to idealize the missing person is often very strong.

Grief is relational to PTSD in that it can cause anxiety or depression, sometimes both simultaneously.

Loss is a teacher. It reminds one that there’s nothing they have that can’t be taken away.

Grief can rob someone of purpose or direction. It can make them vague at times, hyper-focused at others.

Many people have the wrong idea, or at least one different than mine, about “acceptance” and “being over it.” I know that I will never be “over” it. The trick is to just keep going and allow time to lessen the extremity of the pain....to remember that life is good, precious and to be enjoyed in the ways one can, as one can.

its important to stay in the moment and recognize joy, because as previously stated, there’s nothing in life that can’t be taken away.

Last edited:
All of that is true!

It's been three and a half years since Judi died - you'd think I'd be over it by now, wouldn't you?

I'm not over it yet.

Your comments on sleep and drowning in drugs really hit home. I have had maybe one or two nights of restful sleep since before she died. And for a brief time I did hide in a bottle, but I have three kids at home, so I can't be incapacitated - that probably saved me from a world of hurt!

I also found your comment about keeping things orderly (read controlling that which you can control) to be especially true. One of the few topics for which we never reached accord was keeping the house orderly. Now I make the bed as soon as I wake up (partly to prevent me from getting back in - sleep, no matter how restless, remains the only true escape). And I make sure the kitchen is cleaned up before I go to bed - I am usually a clean as you go type, but I haven't convinced my kids of the value yet. And waking up to a sink full of dishes just makes me crazy.

To her credit, Judi knew that, and while she would leave a pile of dishes, she would also get up a little before me to take care of them. That gave her some control I guess?

I worry that I idealize Judi and our marriage. But then I find I worry about almost everything now. That is something I'd like to "fix". I think we had a pretty good marriage, and I think she was the love of my life. Friends seem to say things that reinforce these thoughts. Are they just being kind? I honestly have no idea.

Grief is not so much a process as a state to which one grows accustomed, and through that finds some peace. At least that is my hope.

I am truly sorry for your loss, and I admire that you still find a way to get up in the morning. I know sometimes that is a challenge for me.

Sorry for your loss Larry.
I hope you can reflect in a positive way that leads to inspiration.

My best friend went last year. With all that was going on, I just put my heel down on the hose, stopping any flow. I felt completely incapable of facing the awfulness. All of it's still there, behind my denial, and I'm stuck in the first stage of grief.

There's a way through this, and maybe some help is there for the asking. I'm sincerely sorry for your loss. Maybe this post is the start of that. You don't have to do this alone. Start with what you're comfortable with, but talk it out of your head and heart with someone you feel you can trust.

Hi Larry

I’m really sorry for your loss,as painful and overwhelming that the grieving process can be for me it actually became a cathartic experience. After some time passed I had the realization that if there wasn’t such a strong love and bond there wouldn’t be such profound grief. Gradually I started to focus on the love,the bond,the good times and slowly but surely I turned the feeling of loss with an appreciation of the love I had and started to turn the experience into a celebration.I came to the realization although I was grieving the loss,how damn lucky I was to have a relationship with such a loving special person with such an amazing connection & bond. Yeah it’s still bittersweet at times,I wish my girlfriend was still here but when I feel sad I remind myself how lucky I was to have this woman in my life even if it was for a shorter time then I would have preferred.It’s been 10 years for me and it took probably about 4 or 5 years to start turning my grieving into appreciation.
So although I suspect it’s still too soon,try to focus on the good times and try to celebrate the time you had.
We don’t know each other besides seeing forum posts but I suspect you had a great long term loving marriage and relationship with your wife,something that most people never achieve,so isn’t that in itself a reason to celebrate?

Take care
Kenny

Last edited:
Surely the most individual of experiences and processes. As decades-long meditator, slowly evolving into awareness /awakening aspects, personal experience has been steady and incremental.

Five years now and quite surprised at 'phases' never anticipated (including anger).
Stay patient, confident, active and open. Music, in all of its dimensions, has been such a major, stalwart supporter throughout.

Just went through concentrated period of passing date, birthday, anniversary, and the wide range of emotions. Celebrated each one, and will continue as future unfolds.

Very best regards

Thanks for sharing. Takes a lot of courage. 2020 nearly did me in and I share a lot of your thoughts on grief. Taking one day at a time. I've found comfort in my faith and some pretty amazing friends. I hope and pray you have some great folks around you too. God bless, man.

Last edited:
To all:

Please don’t take it wrong if I don’t respond to your posts directly. They’re all lovely and deeply appreciated. I will be responding off and on to posts that particularly resonate with me. Bless you all.

<buncha snipping> After some time passed I had the realization that if there wasn’t such a strong love and bond there wouldn’t be such profound grief.
Man did you hit the nail squarely with that. My mind appreciates that the deeper the love the deeper the grief. It's a rational thought.

Sadly, three and half years later I am still far from rational.

Still I thank you for reminding me that I really was fortunate. (Damn the bad luck<G>)

Man did you hit the nail squarely with that. My mind appreciates that the deeper the love the deeper the grief. It's a rational thought.

Sadly, three and half years later I am still far from rational.

Still I thank you for reminding me that I really was fortunate. (Damn the bad luck<G>)
It was a difficult long journey making these realizations and it was as painful as it was gradual but once I connected the smallest bit of positivity from this I have subsequently tried to focus and nurture this paradigm.
So much of what we feel is reactive and sometimes if we look from a different perspective we can turn the negative into something we can appreciate even if it’s bittersweet and is still somewhat painful.
For me just having the memory of what was so amazing preceding the loss can make me appreciate the good times and realize the grief and darkness is an unfortunate byproduct of the intensity of the relationship and joy that preceded the pain.
Do I still get melancholy,sure but much less and when I do I remind myself how lucky I was to have this wonderful person in my life.

Top Bottom