What's new

Those wonderful Embertone solo strings are on sale

Guys, we're talking $199 here for the entire solo Strings bundle of violin, viola, cello and bass. Plus a $25 coupon to use on more Embertone.
I have many orchestral libraries, but this price is definitely the lowest I've ever seen for such a bundle. And an exquisite one at that.

Guys, we're talking $199 here for the entire solo Strings bundle of violin, viola, cello and bass. Plus a $25 coupon to use on more Embertone.
I have many orchestral libraries, but this price is definitely the lowest I've ever seen for such a bundle. And an exquisite one at that.

Yes, it's much better than the holiday thing Embertone did, and I was tempted then...Tempted now, but I already have solo strings bought on sale: Fluffy Audio's Trio Broz, Prague, and Kirk Hunter Spotlight... If this is a HUGE sonic step up from those, I'd like to avail myself of this. But if it's not, $200 is still a lot of money in my neighborhood.

The deal is tempting, and I want to love these sounds, but with the exception of the bass, the other strings - based on the demos - sound thin and harsh to me. Seems like I am absolutely the only one?

The deal is tempting, and I want to love these sounds, but with the exception of the bass, the other strings - based on the demos - sound thin and harsh to me. Seems like I am absolutely the only one?
Your not completely alone. I was tempted, but from what I've heard, I'm not totally convinced. Somewhat nasally and harsh at times. I have Emotional Cello and like it a lot and I'm wondering if they are going to do Emotional violin, viola...

I had the violin, but didn't like the tone, and sometimes takes a lot of time to make it sound convincing, especially with fast passages. I have Chris Hein Violin and very happy with it! Overall I like Chris Hein's way of libraries: Easy and intuitive to start using, but you can do as much customization as you want. I think Embertone's solo strings are missing some of the flexibility that Chris Hein has.

But again with that price, I think it's still an amazing deal.

If I had infinite money... but blew my tax refund on Adagio for a hundred bucks more when I saw the valantines day sale. I'm sure the solo instruments aren't as good, but kinda like the sections. Well only downloaded the violins so far, but like those.

OK, so If Chris Hein Solo Strings were offered at the special price of $199., which library would you choose, Embertone Solo Strings, or Chris Hein Solo Strings ?

When I compared them last year, as well as Emotional Cello, I chose the Embertone bundle. Mainly because of the articulations and the ensemble option. But also because of the iPad support, which at last allowed me to play strings in a lifelike manner, not just on keys with cc. And I love the Kontakt Player compatibility as well as NKS.

I use both the Hein solo violin and Embertone Friedlander as first and second violins in my string quintets, if that helps anyone. They are really complimentary as far as one being able to do things better than the other, plus the different sounds makes projects extra interesting imo.

As tempting as this offer is, I decided to pass on Embertone Solo Strings, and grabbed both SampleModeling's Violin, and Viola instead, since I already had SampleModeling's Cello.

SM Violin is 21 MB download, SM Viola is 23 MB download, and the amount of parameters that are controllable via CC#s for each instrument is quite amazing. Yes, it cost more than $199, but I feel I can get more out of these instruments, and really like the overall sound, and timbre.

As tempting as this offer is, I decided to pass on Embertone Solo Strings, and grabbed both SampleModeling's Violin, and Viola instead, since I already had SampleModeling's Cello.

SM Violin is 21 MB download, SM Viola is 23 MB download, and the amount of parameters that are controllable via CC#s for each instrument is quite amazing. Yes, it cost more than $199, but I feel I can get more out of these instruments, and really like the overall sound, and timbre.
Which is all that really matters (the last bit). You don't have to justify your decisions to the likes of us, though I appreciate honest appraisals of your experience with the SM instruments.

OK, so If Chris Hein Solo Strings were offered at the special price of $199., which library would you choose, Embertone Solo Strings, or Chris Hein Solo Strings ?
CH all the way. CH at any price. Just purchased (full price) CH Solo Strings complete just a few weeks back and am just blown away by it. So much control you have over everything (I had already enjoyed the Woodwinds and Brass complete).

I listened to a lot of video and audio to get to my purchase.

But if I had been on a budget, I don't think this price can be beaten for what you get. Still if money is not an issue, go CH.

CH all the way. CH at any price. Just purchased (full price) CH Solo Strings complete just a few weeks back and am just blown away by it. So much control you have over everything (I had already enjoyed the Woodwinds and Brass complete).

I listened to a lot of video and audio to get to my purchase.

But if I had been on a budget, I don't think this price can be beaten for what you get. Still if money is not an issue, go CH.

I have Chris Hein solo Violin, and plan to get the entire CH-Solo Strings in the future. Yes, it also offers a lot of control, and sounds very good. I would love it if CH-Solo Strings Collection goes on sale, which will make it an instant no brainer purchase.

Thanks for the recommendation,
Muziksculp

Well, CH just doesn't seem to draw me in. I think it's the GUI or the way it handles. Just a feeling, mind you. Very happy with EastWest, Embertone and Spitfire.

Well, CH just doesn't seem to draw me in. I think it's the GUI or the way it handles. Just a feeling, mind you. Very happy with EastWest, Embertone and Spitfire.
That is exactly how I felt when I first got the CH Woodwinds Complete. It felt really foreign to me. Spitfire is straightforward by comparison.

Then I spent a little time with it and realized that once you assign your CC's you don't have to even look at the GUI. The sound is incredible.

To be honest if I had not gotten the CH Solo Strings recently the Embertone would have looked really attractive. That is an unbeatable price. I don't think we will see the CH stuff priced like that anytime soon.

That is exactly how I felt when I first got the CH Woodwinds Complete. It felt really foreign to me. Spitfire is straightforward by comparison.

Then I spent a little time with it and realized that once you assign your CC's you don't have to even look at the GUI. The sound is incredible.

To be honest if I had not gotten the CH Solo Strings recently the Embertone would have looked really attractive. That is an unbeatable price. I don't think we will see the CH stuff priced like that anytime soon.

The Hein libraries got me thinking a bit about EWHS when I first got it, simply because it's another dry-ish sound, made to me manipulated. However, it's just as Jon said, the rewards are commensurate to how much time you put into it, especially in the beginning.

That said, I can't imagine not having East West, Hein, Adagio (mid to low strings), Friedlander, and Spitfire at my command. Not only because of their layering capabilities, but because they are terrific libraries all on their own imo. I plan on buying up the rest of the Hein solo strings and the Embertone viola and bass just for those reasons.

How long until Black Friday again? ;)

Yee, if you put it that way...the Hein, all day. It's too malleable a library for me to not pick it.

Top Bottom