What's new

Thomas Bergersen announces Humanity (4 hours of new music!?)

I'm really liking this one too. Bit of a shame the best quality available is MP3. I'd have loved a FLAC version along with an uncompressed version like TSFH did with Unleashed. That would make them all available as reference tracks to load into Ozone.

I'd have loved a FLAC version along with an uncompressed version like TSFH did with Unleashed.

Couldn't agree more. Now that HDD space is no longer a constraint, I'm completely done buying mp3s and I'm not yet sold on services like Tidal.

I can't even find TSFH stuff available to buy in lossless (aside from physical CD), much less Thomas' solo works. Bandcamp and HDTracks are my go to sources for these, but they're not there.

Great music as always! This loudness mastering thing hurts the music terribly... as well as my ears.

Same, there something happening in the high end (when it gets loud) that fatigues my ears quickly.

...along with an uncompressed version like TSFH did with Unleashed.

Completely agree, I hope they'll keep doing that in the future but I noticed they didn't for the last album "Dragon". When Thomas released his 2018 album "American Dream" there was a few comments calling for a less compressed mix in high quality and I think it was the following year he released that version (here's the 24bit link).

I'm listening to the album right now on Amazon Music on 24bit 44.1kHz Flac. I agree about the high end and the compression, kind of sounds like someone went overboard with the Ozone harmonic exciter module lol. The dense arrangement doesn't help either, would probably sound compressed without even using compression.

Just pull down the high end with some computer EQ program that is probably installed anywhere, you high end sensitive folks. :P

Although if that's the only thing that jumped at you regarding the album it's probably not worth bothering at all. *sigh*

I love it! What a surprise - love most of what Thomas is doing! Actually at first listen I was pretty lukewarm about it... actually this happens a lot to me when listening the first time, especially with Thomas for whatever reason.

But even after the second round I started to love just about every track! The mixing is absolutely incredible too IMO. Somewhat compromised by the mastering (I agree on the over-compression, but not the high end - except on parts of Mountain Call).

Yup, that happens when you aren't on Facebook... I missed Humanity Chapter II for two weeks. Perhaps I can't call myself a true fan anymore.
While I'm personally not always a huge fan of vocals like we hear them a lot in Chapter II, this was still great. "We are Legends" is my favorit and I can already see it becoming the next million-views track. The album overall is an incredible mixture of many totally different genres. I think Thomas found home in that technique over the last years.

"We are Legends" reminds me very much of some newer Nighwish stuff, especially disc 2 of Human II Nature. Or is it Nightwish that reminds me of Thomas Bergersen?

"We are Legends" reminds me very much of some newer Nighwish stuff, especially disc 2 of Human II Nature. Or is it Nightwish that reminds me of Thomas Bergersen?
We are Legends was my favorit from Chapter II. I think the "Edit" version

Last edited:
Top Bottom