What's new

Thomas Bergersen - American Dream (Teaser)

Can't wait for this to be released! Also, the orchestra/recording sound great, George!

Been really enjoying listening to this. A very different listening experience to his other work, but this is going to be fantastic for kicking back and having an imagination adventure :)

Btw, does anyone know what kind of drum that low perc in "Home of the Brave" at about 1:10 is? It's like simultaneously low, but tight, but large, but cuts through the mix, sounds absolutely amazing!

It's technically competent - but having listened about 15 mins ago/had a phone call - I couldn't hum back a melody. I listened once - but by brain has thrown it out. There was no hook.

For all those who can't get enough of Youtube's hamfisted compression and parsimonious bitrates, the album is posted in full there also:

Record live players and overlay them with sample libraries. Even a few players on top of a MIDI line can make it sound much better. 5-6 years ago (boy, how time flies!!!) I wrote this tutorial online about something like this, using the old East West Orchestra Gold samples: https://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/making-your-midi-strings-even-more-realistic--audio-11503

Be careful - working with live instruments is like a drug ;)

That’s too pricey. I need to be able to replicate an orchestra solely using my computer.

That’s too pricey. I need to be able to replicate an orchestra solely using my computer.
Isn't it what we're all trying to do with orchestral libraries? :shocked:

Take a look at the Spitfire Audio libraries (Symphonic Strings/Brass), they have a nice hall sound like the recording above :)

I like Thomas's music a lot. I have just had a quick listen and it sounds very good as usual.

Not sure of the sparkly brightness over all in the mix and mastering. It seems pushed quite a bit and I feel its making some stuff actually too sibilant and it sounds like HF smearing at times. Just my taste though.

Excellent, nonetheless.

First off... Why does it have to be SO LOUD for so such of the time? And even the lyrical passages are so hyped up, makes it rather annoying to listen to, to be honest. Some of it is a mix thing.

Second off. There are some nice ideas, but it's overall so busy and homogeneous and over-excited and quick lines and counter-lines mumbled atop and over each other and... dunno, feels unfocused.

Last edited:
First off... Why does it have to be SO LOUD for so such of the time? And even the lyrical passages are so hyped up, makes it rather annoying to listen to, to be honest. Some of it is a mix thing.

Second off. There are some nice ideas, but it's overall so busy and homogeneous and over-excited and quick lines and counter-lines mumbled atop and over each other and... dunno, feels unfocused.
Same here, as I said before, sounds like John Williams on steroids.

Top Bottom