This is where it gets real - switching to Reaper!

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by dtonthept, Nov 16, 2015.

1. eboats

eboats New Member

Sep 10, 2017
    I get that Reaper is good for audio but for me, Cubase is king for Midi. If you're doing a lot of detailed Midi editing/mockups (with orchestral VI's etc), Cubase just has so many bases covered with all of the Midi Functions, Expression Maps, Logical Editor, Note Expression, automation, randomize etc. So many ways to manipulate Midi at the microscopic level. Are there pro orchestral composers who are using Reaper for all of that?

2. Synetos

Synetos Gear Addict

Feb 1, 2016
    I bought Reaper months ago and thought I could adapt. I wanted it to work for me because I was frustrated with Cubase being so buggy. Nope! I just can't tolerate it visually. It makes me want to gouge my eyes out after about 10 minutes. Looks like crap to me on my 4k monitors.

Maybe I have just been on Cubase too long (~10 years)? Perhaps if I "had" to learn it and get use to it, I would. But, I don't...so it will sit around collecting free electrons.

I am sure I'll open it up on occasion and then remember why I gave up on it real quickly. I don't doubt it is powerful and lean, but it is just not something I want to stare at all day.

InLight-Tone likes this.
  3. Rapollo

Rapollo Member

Sep 1, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Thats very interesting... Such incredible variety in opinions.

As having at least a couple of years banked in my DAWs: Reaper, FL and Studio One and I've just recently got hold of to Cubase - Cubase looks genuinely the most dated by far to me on my PC. Reaper and FL are wonderful visually on my setup whereas Cubase's lack of any sort of self contained aliasing on text or the GUI. There is no one definite answer in the world of varied tech.

Orchestrata likes this.
  4. Sekkle

Sekkle Member

Aug 24, 2014
    I had an opposite experience. After being a long time Cubase/Ableton/Protools/Fairlight user I decided to give Reaper a go. I spent about 4 days customising it so it looks nice and all the mouse and keyboard modifiers and shortcuts are the same as Cubase. No issues there, in fact I can now zoom track height with the mouse scroll wheel which Cubase can't.
    It's running perfectly and can do everything the other DAWs can do plus more, especially for scoring to picture, sound design (as in sfx for film), and sample based electronic tracks.
    Now with the new AATranslator it'll be easy to convert Reaper projects to Ptools or Cubase/Nuendo or AAF for delivery.
    I won't be going back!

James Marshall and Orchestrata like this.
  5. DynamicK

DynamicK Senior Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Gloucestershire
    Does it have support for Timecode Offsets and Display? Looked in the manual and don't see it

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  6. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    You mean different frame rates? Reaper supports these:

upload_2017-11-30_12-47-20.png

You can also generate SMPTE timecode source (MTC or LTC) in 23.976ND, 24, 25, 29.97DF, 29.97ND and 30 FPS.

But you can change both of these. First one is reassigning mousewheel in Action list to do scrolling instead of zooming however you want. Second one is done by changing mouse modifiers.

As for MIDI negative delay, looks like one of the users did it as a JS FX: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=1252977&postcount=6

I tested it. It is working.

Orchestrata likes this.
  7. sazema

sazema Senior Member

May 23, 2015
    Main problem with R is because it costs 60$ :)

If you look at this:

[​IMG]

You can ask yourself why this costs up to 4.000$ and it looks like "crap" even at 2017.
    Because is more focused to workflow and final product (mastering) than to look and sight.
    Imagine, R costs about 2000$ and all producers are using it across the world. Any member here would be obsessed with R then :) It's a matter of fashion and trend.
    Man, Schiller (for example) still using Logic 9 and Stylus RMX, some other artists are still on Cubase 6 or Sound Forge 4. But you know...still, they're making good music and they're providing to us great gigs...

8. eboats

eboats New Member

Sep 10, 2017
    I see a lot of Reaper fanboys on this site. I have it, and no doubt it's a good tool for the money as far as audio goes. But for Midi, am not seeing how it competes with Cubase (a gazillion midi functions, logical editor, expression maps, note expression, randomization/humanization, automation). Also, Cubase has probably the best Notation package of any DAW, and some composers even prefer it to dedicated notation products. Are any pro level composers using Reaper for these purposes when doing orchestral mockup work?

9. lucor

lucor Senior Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Germany
    Wilbert Roget just scored the latest Call of Duty using Reaper, as an example. But overall there aren't many, no.

sazema likes this.
  10. Tyll

Tyll Member

Nov 17, 2016
    It's fiddly at times to set up, but due to the very dedicated user base and the very open to script platform there are so many good scripts that make Reaper a very capable DAW for MIDI editing:
    E.g. these tools create, select, warp compress, expand, curve, CCs,
    this or this or this expression management scripts,
    and hundreds more and more and more...

I don't think that anyone has to switch from/to Cubase to/from Reaper unless they want very, very specific features. People tend to discuss the choice of DAWs (and VSTs/libraries too!) as if that's what defines success when in fact they are just tools to use. I stand by the point that any good artisan can work with the cheapest tools and still get very good results. Reaper and Cubase both are far from being cheap tools so the choice is even less of a factor.

DynamicK, LFO and Stevie like this.
  11. sazema

sazema Senior Member

May 23, 2015
    I saw many of them uses Sonar and Logic, and some of them Live, but top notch story is that one of them is using FL Studio but version 11. So what to do now?
    Oh my, some stories just never ends.
    Don't understand people here really.
    First, some guy have Cubase but because it's buggy he wants to switch to Reaper !?? So, you payed 600-700$ and you will now throw that in dust, and just like that you will switch to Reaper, but Reaper is bad on 4K monitor. Why is Cubase buggy, how then PROs is using Cubase if is buggy? Never heard something about Cubase is buggy, it's software like any other available and as I know latest version is very stable.
    Hm...

12. Stevie

Stevie Senior Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Actually Reaper features all these functions that you mention and even more, since Reaper has a scripting API.
    So, only your imagination is the limit. As Tyll already mentioned, there are tons of scripts out there, which surpass the
    possibilities of Cubase. But Reaper is of course not for everyone. And concerning the notation... I never heard anyone praising Cubase for its scoring capabilities, especially people switching from Logic were very disappointed.

EDIT: concerning expression maps: http://reaticulate.com/
    This just came out some days ago. Having abandonned expression maps in Cubase (it hasn't been updated since version 6, you can't sort your maps alphabetically, in consequence it absolutely gets messy when having more than 50 expression maps), I must say, that Jason created a brilliant solution. I ike the approach way more than Cubase' solution.

Btw, Tyll also posted great links, just saw them now. If you are interessted in Reaper, definitely check those out.

13. sazema

sazema Senior Member

May 23, 2015
    Max Richter is a one PRO composer right?

Lets jump in into his studio

Every day Max has a deep thoughts about switching from Logic to Cubase or Sonar or Reaper or ...

Wow, Logic again and version 9 ... (how dare you Max)

14. DynamicK

DynamicK Senior Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Gloucestershire
    Thanks EvilDragon. I managed to find it in the Project Setup area, Project start time.

15. Sekkle

Sekkle Member

Aug 24, 2014
    I don't do in-depth orchestral mockups and use midi in a pretty standard way. I think probably Reaper is nicely suited to the particular way I work (which isn't typical) and has managed to solve the many frustrations I had with Cubase when scoring to picture, specifically with handling multiple tempo based cues in a master project and manipulating audio musically. All the other things I like about it like Folders for fast drag/drop bussing/grouping, drag drop send routing, clip FX, scalable tracks into multichannel after the fact are just nice bonuses I've discovered and have saved me a huge amount of time on recent projects.

Horses for courses as they say!

16. CQrity

CQrity Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Does Reaper have Cubase like folders? I worked with v.4 some time and Reaper folders drove me crazy. I want tracks in a folder to be completely invisible, not just narrowed to small view.

17. Stevie

Stevie Senior Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Yes, Reaper has folders. The visibility of tracks inside a folder depends on a theme. I use a theme, where you can completely hide the tracks inside. It's called: Janne2016 II.

CQrity likes this.
  18. CQrity

CQrity Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Mhhh, then it has to be a setting in the preferences I guess...

19. Stevie

Stevie Senior Member

Oct 20, 2007
  20. CQrity

CQrity Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Thanks a lot guys!

Stevie likes this.