This is where it gets real - switching to Reaper!

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by dtonthept, Nov 16, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    dtonthept

dtonthept Active Member

Dec 14, 2014
  2. OP
    OP
    dtonthept

dtonthept Active Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Wow that's great to see! Thank you! Nice to see that you can do different sizes etc, I can see how you could make something really ergonomic with a decent time investment, but it's great to see that you can just get straight in there and get busy too :)

Actions for iPad doesn't go beyond a 4x5 grid of identically sized buttons, it's already rather limiting.

It might not happen straight away, but I'd love to be able to set up bidirectional OSC for toggle buttons, that would be pretty useful in the long run.

3. OP
    OP
    dtonthept

dtonthept Active Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Okay, had more peripheral tasks today, but I'm now bearing down on scoring a 30" tvc. Lots of beats and synths for this one.

Loving the way you can layer up sounds on one track. I do a lot of chopping up drum breaks, so it means I can keep the tails of hits and still have the next attacks all in a nice convenient spot for mixing and arrangement.

Video also loaded in no problem, I'm running everything in Reaper, no external sync.

More soon,

D :)

4. OP
    OP
    dtonthept

dtonthept Active Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Bit of a rough few hours here trying to get multi channel Kontakt stuff happening.

I think I shot myself in the foot by trying to have the main Kontakt track as the enclosing folder, then I messed myself up with input monitoring modes, but long story short is I believe I've found my way.

Reaper has a really fresh way of doing routing which I know I'll really like when I get used to it. But, not the most productive evening in terms of tangible musical output!

5. Hannes_F

Hannes_F Traveller in boundlessness, at home in the Now

Feb 20, 2006
    Hannover
    It can work. However from a certain point of complexity it might be better to explicitly send the midi to the folder track in the I/O configuration window instead of relying on the automatic (master) routing feature. Same for audio if you have multitracks.

6. D.Salzenberg

D.Salzenberg Active Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Love Reaper, but as mentioned, I really would love to draw cc lines with draggable curves!
    Does anyone know if this may be forthcoming at some stage?

7. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Only the devs know, and they don't share their plans with the public, really.

8. D.Salzenberg

D.Salzenberg Active Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Thats fair enough. Reaper is still the best DAW I've ever used and I'm still very happy that I switched from Cubase.

d.healey likes this.
  9. Vin

Vin uᴉΛ

Feb 14, 2014
    The Zone
    +1, that's why I'm still on 6.5 - the best version I've worked with since SX3.

10. samphony

samphony Senior Member

Nov 19, 2013
    If you look at the current pre release you might get hooked by Reaproxy. Awesome stuff!

11. OP
    OP
    dtonthept

dtonthept Active Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Hey all,

Quick update.. I've had a couple of urgent mixes drop into my lap this week which has put me on a major time crunch, so I've been back in Pro Tools to mix. I'll say unfortunately, it's just the time crunch means the buffer I had built for myself to poke around and learn as I work has been eradicated.

I have still done some more work in Reaper - last night I set up custom labelling for the 56 analogue inputs and outputs I'm running in my studio, and I'm really enjoying how easy on the eye and brain it is both setting this stuff up, and also using them on tracks in both the arrange view and mixer.

I'm starting to feel much more at home with Reaper approach to inputs, outputs, and routing. This is pretty cool as I'm beginning to feel instinctively the benefits here and the potential increase in productivity as a result.

Really grasping and digging the fact that you can pull up the routing window for a track and it will show you EVERYTHING to do with it - having the receives is amazing. For non Reapers, showing receives effectively means that it gives you a mini mixer of all tracks being sent to the track you are focusing on, so you can control everything from there, as well as from the source. Very cool indeed, this will save a LOT of time in the future.

I then got a bit lost with the grouping setup. It seemed so simple, all the ribbons were showing up on tracks, but it didn't seem to be working right. I'd keep opening up the group channel window (as opposed to the grouping matrix) to check everything was ticked accordingly, then would flip between different groups to check on their status.

Then my light bulb went off - I'm used to Pro Tools where you have a grouping window that has a global setting for each group, then tracks can either be part of that group, or not. When you switch between the different group settings in PT, you can modify the entire group.

In Reaper, when you call up that window, it is specific to that exact track. If you want to apply the settings to a whole bunch of tracks, select them all, open the window, boom done. I had incorrectly set this up to start with, and made everything in my group masters, and not slaves as well. So none of the tracks would respond to the others when I tweaked them. Once I got the correct settings for all tracks being both master and slave I got the behaviour I was looking for.

And immediately, I could see how much more powerful Reaper grouping is in this case. In PT it's such a pain in the ass to add a new track to an existing group. Here in Reaper it's so quick and easy.

Then of course, we get into more complex situations where tracks can easily be related in various ways to a number of different groups, then the whole cool stuff about master and slave relationships, very very cool.

The one thing I am really missing (or just haven't figured out yet) is having parameters linked automatically between the same plugins on different tracks.

I also need to learn about track groups as relates to edit and item groups.

So, some very encouraging progress, but still lots of work to do.

tack likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    dtonthept

dtonthept Active Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Oh, it's worth saying that I'm typing this post while running off a bunch of audio stems from a drum replacement plugins. It's a stereo plug, with a bunch of different sample layer inserts. What I tend to do is pick a handful of samples I like, then print them all to audio so I can control them individually later in the mix. Often as a mix progresses one sample will take over from another as the one which works in context.

Some of them have room mics as well as close mics, so I easily wind up printing between four and eight passes per drum, muting and panning different samples accordingly, some mono, some not... It's very time consuming.

I'm really hoping I can access integrate the functionality in Reaper for this task in the future. I nearly spat my coffee all over the monitor in amazement when I saw this from Reaper blog about rendering multichannel plugins outputs. The fact that you can have multichannel within an individual track with a stereo output is amaaaaazing..... I've gotta spend the time to make sure I can make this work, but here's a single button click leading to a bit of drag n drop (explode multichannel to individual tracks) which could have a profound impact on my process.

Okay back to it...

13. OP
    OP
    dtonthept

dtonthept Active Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Hi all,

Latest update.. After the last minute schedule shake up last week I was hustling to meet some deadlines. Had a much needed day off on Monday and a travel day today to start a session, which is a non reaper scenario with a band.

However, interesting progress nonetheless. I've started building a few (and I mean just a few) track templates, and have also spent time on airplanes poking around further in Reaper. I installed the ReaMenu set which is really interesting - well worth checking out if you are learning like me.

https://mikestopcontinues.com/project/reaper-reamenus/

It's a custom menu set which brings way more actions into menus, so in the appropriate context it's a very good way to learn what possibilities you have available. No doubt you'd want to assign the useful ones to actions, but one of the biggest challenges we have when we learn reaper is that we simply have no idea of how deep we could go with it. So this is a great way to increase that sensitivity.

I need to find a good way to sync settings between laptop and desktop too. I've heard rumours of some people running it from Dropbox, I really need to look into that. I've also ordered a new logitech mx master mouse, as reaper seems to really come alive with a heavy duty mouse and a lot of modifiers.

On the subject of laptop and desktop interchangeability, I'm thinking that rather than purely learn a bunch of key commands, I'm going to try to get actions linked with lemur and or touchosc on tablets, which I could then take with me if I need to go mobile. Which I will a lot in the foreseeable future. I really miss having the full numpad on my Macbook when I'm travelling - so until I can switch to PC I'm thinking about pushing the capabilities of the combo of mouse and touchscreen as far as possible.

I need to do some programming on my laptop over the coming week, so hopefully I'll be able to keep moving things forward, even if it's not as quickly as I had originally hoped.

Oh, on the subject of switching to PC, I've been v excited about this from a hardware point of view for a while, but having spent a chunk of the day looking at the peripherals used by the Master Race of PC Gamers, (know your meme, if you don't already) I gotta say I'm really looking forward to this aspect of PC life. And maybe I could set up one of those crazy mice to do all kinds of crazy stuff with Reaper... We'll see!

Oh, other cool reaper bits for today - the reaper midi plug in seems cool, I had a first play with it today. And I saw a couple of tutorials online that are starting to whet my appetite for the stark GUIs of the stock reaper plugs.

More soon,

D :)

14. Stevie

Stevie Senior Member

Oct 20, 2007
    So, after 2 years, how is your Reaper journey continuing? :)

15. OP
    OP
    dtonthept

dtonthept Active Member

Dec 14, 2014
    It didn't stick at all!

devonmyles likes this.
  16. Stevie

Stevie Senior Member

Oct 20, 2007
    That doesn't sound very positive :shocked:

17. devonmyles

devonmyles Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    UK
    Priceless.....:faint:
    Ah man, funny post.

18. LFO

LFO Active Member

Jul 8, 2009
    So what happened? I was reading your experience with Reaper and was interested. I've considered moving to Reaper from Cubase, but haven't done so because I am a heavy MIDI user. I still have it running on my DAW and play with it from time to time, (version 4, not 5) and am interested to hear how things ended for you, if you don't mind sharing. :)

19. InLight-Tone

InLight-Tone Senior Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Same thing happened to me. Sold Cubase first (idiot) and went to Reaper for the scripting features. It's decent and impressive in many respects but didn't gel with me. It felt like there was TOO MUCH customization and had me wanting a more cohesive framework. It reminded me of my time in Linux, very cool programming but lot's of things just didn't work without re-compiling drivers, adding custom code etc.

I couldn't get used to the weird zooming with the mouse and not being able to select items by left click dragging like every other program drove me nuts and that was not a "feature" you could change.

Also, the lack of a midi delay, only audio was a major bummer as I use that in Cubase constantly to tighten up timing between tracks.

I re-bought Cubase and am a happy camper...

20. givemenoughrope

givemenoughrope Senior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I'm thinking about try Reaper just to be able to run 16 inputs in an instance (or several) of SPAT, mix/balance, render the audio and then throw it back into Cubase. Anyone else do this? Bad idea?