What's new

Thinkpad P52 as main machine. + optionally adding a slave later. Opinions?

jonvog

Hello all,
I am considering getting a new setup. I don't need to work from the road all the time but sometimes. So I definitely need a laptop. I considered a Thinkpad X1 Extreme, but I can get the P52 considerably cheaper, and I like the numeric keypad (and the hopefully better thermals). It's heavier though. But I am not constantly on the road, so that would be ok-ish.

1. Any experiences with the P52 for audio use (cubase is my DAW, doing mostly film scoring)? What about DPC latency?

2. Would you recommend using a laptop as main machine and expanding it via VEP-slave for larger projects?

The other option would be going with a lower spec'ed laptop like X1 Carbon or one of the T Series (it doesn't have to be a Thinkpad, but I heard good things about them in general), and at the same time getting a powerful main rig for the studio.

But I like the idea of having one single machine (and the idea of not spending money on two devices at the same time).

Thanks for your insights!

I have an older (Gen 5?) Thinkpad, i7, SSD, 16 gigs of ram that I bought used for a really good price. I don't use it as my main system but I use it to compose while travelling. Honestly it works great, I'm running lots of instances of big sample libraries and it does pretty well.

It can work, but except limitations on project size. Not sure what your music projects look like but generally laptops are great for traveling sketches, as mentioned above.

Even a newer beefy, small form factor laptop wont touch the performance of a mid level Desktop. CPU and cooling are the biggest drawbacks of laptops. Again they work GREAT in the right context.

Top Bottom