1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They don't get it

Discussion in 'Working in the Industry' started by Mike Fox, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Well sad, robgb! And even if you were unsuccessful, you made an honest, wholehearted attempt. The naysayers are everywhere, you just have to treat them like white noise.

Mike Fox and robgb like this.
  2. Desire Inspires

Desire Inspires Senior Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach
    Yes!

I gave it a shot and bombed. I feel good though. I worked hard and had fun.

3. Why did you stop?

4. Desire Inspires

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach
    I didn’t make enough money.

I still make music, but I can’t pretend that I will be doing music licensing as a full time career. The music is out. The licenses are being made. The money is not adding up to a full time income.

I got stuff on over 260 TV series. Where in the hell is the cash? I do not know.

Wolfie2112 likes this.
  5. KerrySmith

KerrySmith Senior Member

I just default to “I’m a musician.” That sorts things pretty quickly. Either they want to know more detail and ask, or else they get the “oh” face and scamper away quickly.

6. OP
    OP
    Mike Fox

Mike Fox Senior Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Thank you for the words of encouragement!

I certainly wasn't born yesterday, and I think most serious composers by now fully realize how difficult it is to make a profitable living, yet some people still feel the need to "preach" the hardships that go with the territory.

My end goal isn't necessarily to become a game or film composer, but the pursuit itself is what I look forward to. If something rewarding spawns from that, then I'll be incredibly grateful for it. I think the knowledge that I'll pick up along the way is worth the endeavor!

As for now, I really am enjoying my place within the Halloween community. Even though I'm only semi-pro, I've benefited in ways that don't involve monetary gain. I've made life long friends, and have been offered opportunities that are actually better than money. To know that my music is being played all over the US (and even in other countries) on Halloween night is one of the biggest compliments and achievements a composer like me could wish for.

MatFluor likes this.
  7. Like your Halloween gig, I prefer to have a few really big jobs over the course of a year, as opposed to a ton of smaller, low paying ones.

8. jhughes

jhughes Senior Member

May 12, 2017
    Georgia

Desire Inspires likes this.
  9. Desire Inspires

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach