What's new

The Ultimate DIY Plugin Controller

Techpriest

I'm looking to build my own midi controller. I'm just not satisfied with the slew of controllers out there, as I feel that don't give me enough control. I've seen what is possible from others who have taken up this task and there are some really cool products out there. I've done some research and I know I'm on the right path, but there are some pieces of the puzzle that I cannot find answers to and I'm hoping someone will read this and provide me with some guidance.

I have an ambitious project where I want to build a controller 16 endless encoders, 16 buttons, 16 touch strip faders, X\Y pad, Jog wheel, & master volume control with LCD screen for the encoders, buttons, & touch strip faders for parameter feedback. Its not designed to control the DAW, just the plugins and instruments. It's ambitious, but seeing what's out there, I don't think this is the hard part. The hard part is the controller editor.

Anyone familiar with the Novation automap technology, is familiar with their editor GUI. It wraps plugins and instruments in a VST wrapper and in automap mode, I can choose parameters from the plugin and assign them to GUI of the controller editor and without using midi CC#s. It also has unlimited pages. If you can't tell, I love this technology. How do I mimic this? I read on their site that they add an additional piece of code to each plugin that gets wrapped to make automap work. I know it's more complex than that, but I'm interested to hear from anyone who may know how this works because here are the two features I want my controller editor to have.

1) The ability to assign plugin controls to the controller without the need for general midi CC#s. But, general midi can also be used, if necessary. Also, because VST wrappers can cause problems at times, is there a way to achieve this without using a VST wrapper? If so, how?

2) The ability to create unlimited editor pages.

3) Could I use a program like Juce to write such an editor?

I hope there's someone out there that can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom