What's new

The real reason I haven't purchased samples in over a year

got to ask. This looks bigger than a normal trumpet. Will it make it louder or more full sounding? Or both? Sometimes trumpets sound a little thin for me.

Looks cool though. I hope they put a finish on it. Shining that much brass can be a pain!
It’s an 8va lower than a trumpet and sounds like a German rotary trumpet, not a piston trumpet, but in the trombone range which means it has more colors than a piston trumpet where it can get both more mellow, softer and louder.

When you talk of thin trumpet sounds are you talking about samples? Thinner sounding samples could be the result of using shallow mouthpieces for jazz lead playing or recording them with the microphones too close to the bell. Brass need a room for their sound to bloom. Do you have an example of a live thin sounding trumpet? I would be interested to see what exactly you mean.

Raw brass is very easy to take care of. Clean with dawn soap, then wipe off with a microfiber wash cloth. I even used a mixture of lemon juice and baking soda. That was cool! Gold plate is the pain! Lol. Every time I touch or clean it I’m like, “Please don’t come off!”

It’s an 8va lower than a trumpet and sounds like a German rotary trumpet, not a piston trumpet, but in the trombone range which means it has more colors than a piston trumpet where it can get both more mellow, softer and louder.

When you talk of thin trumpet sounds are you talking about samples? Thinner sounding samples could be the result of using shallow mouthpieces for jazz lead playing or recording them with the microphones too close to the bell. Brass need a room for their sound to bloom. Do you have an example of a live thin sounding trumpet? I would be interested to see what exactly you mean.

Raw brass is very easy to take care of. Clean with dawn soap, then wipe off with a microfiber wash cloth. I even used a mixture of lemon juice and baking soda. That was cool! Gold plate is the pain! Lol. Every time I touch or clean it I’m like, “Please don’t come off!”
Samples, mostly. Otherwise, it's probably bad technique, I'm sure. And it could be not enough players in the samples. But I didn't think about needing room sound for Brass. Better to use the outriggers or mix them in. And probably thin isn't quite right, description wise. Thanks.

Looking forward to hearing this. I usually just grab a bottle of cheap brass cleaner, but baking soda and lemon juice works too. Brass does have a great color when shiny.

Samples, mostly. Otherwise, it's probably bad technique, I'm sure. And it could be not enough players in the samples. But I didn't think about needing room sound for Brass. Better to use the outriggers or mix them in. And probably thin isn't quite right, description wise. Thanks.

Looking forward to hearing this. I usually just grab a bottle of cheap brass cleaner, but baking soda and lemon juice works too. Brass does have a great color when shiny.
Yep, the 1st thing we brass players do is check the room we are playing in. The cool thing about raw brass also is “letting it go.” The more 1800’s it looks, the better! Some people even lacquer their horns to look like that. Hopefully soon I can get a small recording of the bass trumpet. My friend just messaged me back saying I could use the church.

And here it is! My custom built Bass Trumpet! It is a Bill Jones custom bass trumpet. The rotary valves came from the part of Europe called “Moravia,” a company from the 1800’s called Joseph Lidl, the bell is over 75 years-old from Germany, and the rest of the vintage tubing and tuning triggers were hand built. The horn shines like gold, but it is all polished raw brass.
94E25A0D-E87E-41DC-A5C9-83E9DBB5C3BD.jpeg

I know nothing about brass, but I've seen a few, however this is one awesome unusual trumpet! I checked for a comparison between piston vs rotary valve. Until you post one of yours, I found this one. Transitions between notes sound a bit smoother.

I know nothing about brass, but I've seen a few, however this is one awesome unusual trumpet! I checked for a comparison between piston vs rotary valve. Until you post one of yours, I found this one. Transitions between notes sound a bit smoother.

Oh yes I know that video well! For classical music the rotary trumpet is superior than the piston trumpet. The rotary can play softer, mellow at its low dynamics, and play louder than a piston also. The “legato transitions” are smoother also forming a “wha” sound like a French Horn instead of a “ah ah” sound of the piston. A rotary instrument can blend better with Woodwinds and strings also at low dynamics. Here’s me playing my rotary cornet. A cornet is more mellow than a trumpet, so it’s loudest dynamic is only around a forte:

Wow! I'm smiling for you.

You're making a rotary ensemble? I'm developing something vaguely fugue-ish for brass quintet with mostly legato passages. (Mainly because when I started writing it I only had free soundfonts.)

Here is a sound clip of me playing my new bass trumpet. In cc1 terms I think I started around a 110 out of 127 and then brought it down to a 1, the most mellow, and back up to a mezzo-forte. Although I didn’t play any extreme low notes, it’s starts to sound cimbasso like down there played low and loud.

Very nice!

I have to ask, though, you acoustic musicians, when you want large plate reverb do you record at an empty parking lot? (Joking, but my second thought, before the playing started. My first thought was how pretty the windows are!)

Very nice!

I have to ask, though, you acoustic musicians, when you want large plate reverb do you record at an empty parking lot? (Joking, but my second thought, before the playing started. My first thought was how pretty the windows are!)
Parking lots are dangerous, we rather entertain angels in churches. Most brass players I know would pick a large cathedral/ church 1st and then a concert hall 2nd. (Oh yes, that church is beautiful, and the organ is epic also. I’ve had the pleasure of writing for it several times.)

Parking lots are dangerous, we rather entertain angels in churches. Most brass players I know would pick a large cathedral/ church 1st and then a concert hall 2nd. (Oh yes, that church is beautiful, and the organ is epic also. I’ve had the pleasure of writing for it several times.)

Do you have any advice for organ writing?

I have this idea to leverage the electronic side of things to do an organ duet.

I'll be doing sampled organ, but will happily listen to both. I went to a graduate organ recital once. It was my first exposure to Buxtehude - for the first time I realized that Bach was a member of a class of musicians and not a completely unique figure.

I'll be doing sampled organ, but will happily listen to both. I went to a graduate organ recital once. It was my first exposure to Buxtehude - for the first time I realized that Bach was a member of a class of musicians and not a completely unique figure.
In samples you can do anything. Let your mind go wild, but live organ is a different animal. The 1st thing is that it’s not a piano, so you cannot write for it like a piano. Think of it as several different independent voices or instruments played by a single person, but you have to make those independent voices playable. The pedals should be treated as a single line and not considered something to fill in the harmony. If you had a 4 voice chorale with a piano you would play every note even if they repeated, but with organ to make it sound like it’s legato or voice-like you would hold down the notes that are the same (typically.)

Here’s a sample page of my arrangement of Bach’s Fantasia. Noticed the thick harmony but all of the lines are independent voices and the notes that are the same sustain.
779C819E-59A5-407B-B296-FC59FA2D5694.jpeg

Pipe organ? I miss my mom playing. She used to play some wonderful music. The other organists were so boring. I think my favorite was Widor’s 5th.

though why would the carpet kill the reverb on the organ unless the pipes were badly placed. I get it for the trumpet

Pipe organ? I miss my mom playing. She used to play some wonderful music. The other organists were so boring. I think my favorite was Widor’s 5th.

though why would the carpet kill the reverb on the organ unless the pipes were badly placed. I get it for the trumpet
The organ was built for the room decades ago for the church without carpet. 6 years ago they installed carpet in the church and choir balcony just for the looks which deadens the brilliance and liveliness of the sound. You can definitely tell when there is a full house of people in the congregation. I complain about feeling like I’m playing by myself if the organist uses too quiet of registrations, because the sound is not properly being reflected in how the room was supposed to work.

Top Bottom