The Quandary

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by Guy Bacos, May 13, 2019 at 7:13 PM.

1. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I wrote this piece yesterday, see if you can guess what are the instruments. No prize. :)

The Quandary

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 9:24 AM
    fiestared, teclark7, Saxer and 2 others like this.
  2. synergy543

synergy543 Senior Member

Dec 11, 2004
    The Internets
    I love the disorientation this causes when I listen (due to the twisting and turning of the pitch). It really reminds me of Inception! Surely just my coffee isn't causing this effect.:whistling:

@Rctec - What do you think?

3. marclawsonmusic

marclawsonmusic Senior Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    This is extremely cool!

The piano resonances (I think that’s what they are?) serve as a nice pad for the piano strikes (chords). Very effective and horror-esque. Really enjoyed this!

4. Eloy

Eloy New Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Ok - other than the piano? I give up -what instrument(s) did you use as the build ups?

5. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Great sound, very 3D! What style is it? I'd call it modern retro.

6. enyawg

enyawg Member

Aug 28, 2016
    One piano with FX like Blackhole reverb on Pulsar setting? Have no idea really.
    Minimally epic; good job.

7. OP
    OP
    Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    That is as close as you can get, but any idea how it was done?

marclawsonmusic likes this.
  8. marclawsonmusic

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    I am not very skilled in audio editing/mangling, but I think what I am hearing is the sound of the piano without any attack... like moving sample start way ahead - maybe so far ahead that you only hear the SR of the envelope?

Or maybe it's some kind of reversed piano sound? ... But I don't think I am hearing the characteristic 'reversed sound'... so I am leaning towards my first thought.

Either way, it's very effective as a musical device! Also the way you executed was very clever - especially the end where it builds up into sort of a wall of sound. Very cool and certainly I would love to hear the secret if you are inclined to share :)

Cheers

9. teclark7

teclark7 New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think Guy is taking just the resonances of the background chords and reversing just the resonances. That's why, I am guessing, it does not sound like a normal reversed piano sound. @Guy Bacos - are we getting closer?

10. OP
    OP
    Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    If there was a prize you'd win it marclawsonmusic. Your first idea is correct, I'm impressed. It is indeed various chords played, with with different degrees of dynamics, some very loud for the longer ring, but without the attacks, which completely takes away the main timbral characteristic of the piano sound. Once I recorded the chords, I simply removed the attacks using volume automation and created a new attack, a slight crescendo and then just let the chord naturally rinnnnnnnng. The more creative part was to combine this with chords with normal attacks. I had no idea if it would be interesting, but thought it would be worth a try.

Eloy and marclawsonmusic like this.
  11. marclawsonmusic

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    Hey hey... very cool then! Yes, definitely an interesting exercise and makes for a nice soundscape sound. Thanks for sharing the music and also this cool production tip :)

12. Peter Williams

Peter Williams New Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Very interesting and musical approach as well. Reminds me of the feeling I had when I was young, playing with slowed piano parts on a reel to reel. Being a bit lazy at sound editing, this makes me wish I had the more expensive version of something like Pianoteq's products, so I could play with the alternate tunings, truncated attacks and stretched decay. But your elongated sustains are so smooth and consistent, your approach is probably better. Thanks for the inspiration.

13. fiestared

fiestared Senior Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Great track, I wouldn't listen to it in certain conditions, brrr....... :emoji_scream:

14. OP
    OP
    Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
  15. Cass Hansen

Cass Hansen Active Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Julian, CA
    Fantastic Guy! Simple but effective and very creative. Shows what can be done with one instrument. Would work very well as a movie cue. Your motif and variants of it throughout glue the structure together nicely.

I was wondering towards the beginning of the piece, the out of tune melody (plus the harmony), did you isolate and pitch-bend each note slightly in different directions and then combine them vertically or did you detune each line separately a few cents in opposite directions and combined or did you use some other technique?

At any rate, sounds like you are having a blast with the Synchron pianos. Thanks for posting.

edit: forgot to ask if you used MIR and spatially arrange each chord set in a different position on stage for the 3-D sound?

Cass

16. OP
    OP
    Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Thanks Cass! Yes, I forgot to mention this, one of the pianos (BTW the pianos used was VSL Synchron Steinway & Sons) was tuned to 430 Hz to give this creepy effect.

About your 2nd question, did not use MIR, instead I would shift the Power Panner from the MIX panel in the Synchron Player. Double click on the power pan and use the balance Fader to shift the room signal. Maybe Dietz could make this clearer if he wants to chime in.