What's new

The O.L.C. (One Library Challenge)

Ok here are three BBCSO things I don't hate. Chopped the beginning off the second because it was a boring non-BBCSO viola solo. Probably won't leave these here indefinitely.

(Broken Link Removed)

(Broken Link Removed)

(Broken Link Removed)
They’re lovely Mike!

@Michaelt would you mind me asking if you are using Core or Pro on those tracks? The sound is absolutely wonderful and I'm just curious as to whether that's the benefit of the multi-mics, or just Pure Absolute Wizardry on your part (I mean, clearly a lot of Absolute Wizardry going on in either case!).

Edit: and for the avoidance of doubt, the compositions are beautiful! :)

@Michaelt would you mind me asking if you are using Core or Pro on those tracks? The sound is absolutely wonderful and I'm just curious as to whether that's the benefit of the multi-mics, or just Pure Absolute Wizardry on your part (I mean, clearly a lot of Absolute Wizardry going on in either case!).
I bought it before the different versions happened (so it's "Pro"). These are all my own mixes. Oh wait actually the first was JJ's Mix 1.

Last edited:
Fantastic stuff @Taron! This is exactly what I’d love to do as well (time allowing). Go back though the catalog of every library I own (some of which was never used) and make at least one track with each, to give them all a proper chance, understand what they’re for, and hopefully generate some nice music in the process! :)

I don't know if this qualifies, 15 year old EWQLSO only track. Only one mic position and zero EQ, reverb if I recall.

Listening now the composition and orchestration are so amazingly bad, as are many of the articulations especially the brass multi-tongue. String shorts are trash.

But the tone of the brass. The placement of the strings and woods and the way the percussion sits in the mix sounds very natural and live to me.. with zero effort. Many aspects of this I have still not been able to recreate using modern libraries.

Attachments

• airport escape STEM1.mp3
    4.6 MB
@ryans Well, in the right hands this sounds really beautiful! Nobody knows what compromises you might've thought to have made, but the result sounds uncompromisingly awesome! :2thumbs:
I would not call any of it trash by the sound of it, but one can guess here and there you could've hoped for some things to be mildly different! Well, grab a shiny new library and show how it's done right! :cool:

I don't know if this qualifies, 15 year old EWQLSO only track. Only one mic position and zero EQ, reverb if I recall.

Listening now the composition and orchestration are so amazingly bad, as are many of the articulations especially the brass multi-tongue. String shorts are trash.

But the tone of the brass. The placement of the strings and woods and the way the percussion sits in the mix sounds very natural and live to me.. with zero effort. Many aspects of this I have still not been able to recreate using modern libraries.
Beautiful! Love the Indiana Jones moments!

A little bit of CineSymphony LITE:

Hopefully I will still like this one in the morning. ("that's what she said?"):confused:
Just wonderful to work with, though. I'm stunned how easy it was to realize any whim that just came over me. Guess the library got lucky with my whims?! :laugh:

I don’t get how you make every library you touch shine in just a couple of hours each. Magic.

Following a discussion with @Taron and @doctoremmet, here is the O.L.C. (One Library Challenge). It's not a competition by any means, but rather just a way to challenge yourself with a limited palette and encourage deep exploration of things you might already own.

The rules are simple:
* Use only one library per track.
* Clearly state what library you're using.
* Original compositions or mockups are welcome.
* The intention is to keep it primarily orchestral (or at least acoustic).
* Library collections (like Cinematic Studio Series etc) do not count as one library.

I'll kick it off with my latest two tracks here, both using BBC Symphony Orchestra. :)

It might take me a while but I'm into it. Kind of busy these days but it might be fun. I'd like to see if HOOPUS can hold it's own.

BBCSO I might admit. The pro version sounds way better than the core version. I was on the fence but the next sale I'm going to have to upgrade. Thanks for that.

Ok here are three BBCSO things I don't hate. Chopped the beginning off the second because it was a boring non-BBCSO viola solo. Probably won't leave these here indefinitely.

(Broken Link Removed)

(Broken Link Removed)

(Broken Link Removed)
Simply awesome, Michael T! Just beautiful.

Scarlet Jerry

It might take me a while but I'm into it. Kind of busy these days but it might be fun. I'd like to see if HOOPUS can hold it's own.

BBCSO I might admit. The pro version sounds way better than the core version. I was on the fence but the next sale I'm going to have to upgrade. Thanks for that.
The mics really make it much more versatile. I always found Mix1 very distant and roomy but loved the overall sound. Just adding the close mics makes a huge difference, and that’s just touching the surface. Looking forward to some HOOPUS from you when you get the time! :)

Top Bottom