What's new

The new favicon

Crowe

Avian Member
Black is best.

So quoth the raven.

Needless to say, I am very much in favor of the new Favicon.

GLOOOOOOOOOOOOM \o/.

EDIT: I like how this one seems to be considered to be fine while it actually has more black space than the placeholder did.

NekujaK

Procrastination is my superpower!
Maybe this was mentioned earlier in this thread and I missed it, but I'm trying to understand the significance of the different VI favicons that are showing up in my browser.

As shown below in my fancy little diagram, two different favicons appear among my brower's open tabs, but I can't figure why they're different. Presumably there's some significance to each?

Then there's the favicon in the browser toolbar (basically a bookmark). Sometimes it has a red dot, sometimes it doesn't. I thought it might mean I have unread notifications or threads, but I took this screenshot immediately after explicitly marking all notifications and threads as read. And refreshing the browser didn't remove the red dot. So in a Jerry Seinfield tone of voice, "What's with that red dot?"

These are by no means critical issues... I'm just curious after observing this behavior for several weeks now and trying to make sense of it my head :confused:

1664129901117.png

carlc

Go Make Something
The red dot generally implies that you have alerts you have not yet viewed. Sometimes these stay "lit" for a short while in other tabs that have not been refreshed ever after the alerts are read.

As far as seeing older versions, it might be a cached favicon. If you open in "incognito" mode or clear your browser cache, do the older versions of the favicon still persist?

creativeforge

the plumber
Maybe this was mentioned earlier in this thread and I missed it, but I'm trying to understand the significance of the different VI favicons that are showing up in my browser.

As shown below in my fancy little diagram, two different favicons appear among my brower's open tabs, but I can't figure why they're different. Presumably there's some significance to each?

Then there's the favicon in the browser toolbar (basically a bookmark). Sometimes it has a red dot, sometimes it doesn't. I thought it might mean I have unread notifications or threads, but I took this screenshot immediately after explicitly marking all notifications and threads as read. And refreshing the browser didn't remove the red dot. So in a Jerry Seinfield tone of voice, "What's with that red dot?"

These are by no means critical issues... I'm just curious after observing this behavior for several weeks now and trying to make sense of it my head :confused:

1664129901117.png
Hi, there is an issue with the way Firefox deals with favicons and caches. Not sure why, I looked into it and it has to be set individually by the users.

As far as I know the red dot notification has always been there to signify you have new content on threads you are watching, a new reply in a conversation, etc.

Here are a few methods to try and recover the right favicon in Firefox. There is no guarantee, though. It could come back later. I've tried a few methods but so far, no joy. YMMV.

If anyone finds a fix, please share! :)

Regards,

Andre

-------------------
VIC Tech support
-------------------

NekujaK

Hi, there is an issue with the way Firefox deals with favicons and caches. Not sure why, I looked into it and it has to be set individually by the users.

As far as I know the red dot notification has always been there to signify you have new content on threads you are watching, a new reply in a conversation, etc.

Here are a few methods to try and recover the right favicon in Firefox. There is no guarantee, though. It could come back later. I've tried a few methods but so far, no joy. YMMV.

If anyone finds a fix, please share! :)

Regards,

Andre

-------------------
VIC Tech support
-------------------
Thanks for the response. Restarting my browser cleared the "sticky" red dot, but based on what I've seen in the recent past, it may stick again. But it's not a big deal, like I mentioned, I'm mostly just curious about the logic behind the behavior.

Every browser has its quirks :)

creativeforge

the plumber
Thanks for the response. Restarting my browser cleared the "sticky" red dot, but based on what I've seen in the recent past, it may stick again. But it's not a big deal, like I mentioned, I'm mostly just curious about the logic behind the behavior.

Every browser has its quirks :)

Yes, as for the red dot, the red dot is your friend. It shows up to alert you when someone acknowledged one of your post, or replied to it, or a conversation. Once the dot is there, it won't multiply because more people respond. Only once. And when you click on that post, it will acknowledge that you have opened it by disappearing.

Hope this helps. :)

Andre

-------------------
VIC Tech support
-------------------

NekujaK

Yes, as for the red dot, the red dot is your friend. It shows up to alert you when someone acknowledged one of your post, or replied to it, or a conversation. Once the dot is there, it won't multiply because more people respond. Only once. And when you click on that post, it will acknowledge that you have opened it by disappearing.

Hope this helps. :)

Andre

-------------------
VIC Tech support
-------------------
Understood. It's just that the red dot isn't disappearing for me in the toolbar shortcut. It does come and go in the browser tabs, but the behavior on the toolbar shortcut seems unpredictable 🤷‍♂️

creativeforge

the plumber
UPDATE: so I was finally able to track the issue, replaced the faulty favicons, and with the help of our host who refreshed the cache, the new favicons should display both on Firefox and Chrome the same.

Firefox:

ff.png

Chrome:

chrome.png

So, please clear your cache whenever you are done for the day, and restart your browser. It may take a lightly longer time to load the first time, but it should be fine afterwards. YMMV.

And let me know (especially those how had an issue before).

Hope this helps! :)

Andre

-------------------
VIC Tech support
-------------------

Top Bottom