What's new

The new 2019 Mac Pro Announced! - Apple is back!

Delio Roman

IMG-1320.png

IMG-1322.png

IMG-1321.png

IMG-1323.png

The new Mac Pro has been announced, and I must say, it's impressive! I think Apple is back to caring about their Pro's.

A new Logic Pro X version supporting super high track counts. A new 6K retina Pro Display XDR. For those who are PT users, high HDX card counts in a single machine (up to 8 HDX cards if I recall?). Amazing PCI-e expansion with great power support. Up to a 28 core Intel Xeon. A bunch more.

Starting at 5,999 for a base 8core model. Shipping this fall.

Let's talk!

Currently watching the keynote (EST).

Last edited:

synergy543

So where's the desktop Mac for the rest of us? They could have released a tiered-system with something slightly more moderate for those of use that aren't 'yet' multi-millionaires. I don't need 1.5T RAM but 256G wouldn't be too bad. And my little old 30-inch Dell screen is working nicely. I don't need two extra inches of real estate for an additional $4,000. Steve must be rolling in his grave. Always the forward thinker, he was already feeling the love a year ago. https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/06/11/magnitude-2-8-quake-shakes-south-bay/

jtnyc

So where's the desktop Mac for the rest of us?
Mac Mini
They could have released a tiered-system with something slightly more moderate for those of use that aren't 'yet' multi-millionaires.
While the entry level is expensive, multi millions it isn't, and it is a tiered system as far I can see.
I don't need 1.5T RAM but 256G wouldn't be too bad.
You can get one with 256G, no?
And my little old 30-inch Dell screen is working nicely. I don't need two extra inches of real estate for an additional $4,000.
Does the new Mac require the new screen?

synergy543

@jtnyc - my point is that even if you go for moderate specs, you're still paying quite a high premium for a machine that can handle way more than the typical moderate user needs. So why not make a lower priced machine with specs slightly above an old retro-fitted pizza grater? Something so that a 128G, 10-core, with 2TSSD wouldn't approach $10k. Something like $6k ~8K for such a machine seems like a more reasonable solution for the rest of us. And we can easily hit this target at half that price point with a Hacintosh. I just wanna be able to buy an upgraded old pizza grater! I'm using a Hacintosh now, but I'd rather be able to buy a Mac. I don't have 10 grand to spend though.

synergy543

Not really.
Well, you can cook a pizza on it. And I hear the new iMacs can sound like jet engines when pushed hard.
So that kinda leaves the rest of us with old 2008 pizza graters or compromises.
Tim, please cum outta da closet dude and take a good look at what's going on.

ptram

Doesn't the new design look very much penitentiary? Is it a reference to the condition of the designers and the perspective buyers?

Paolo

Simon Ravn

Awesome machine! Expensive though... But much more than I hoped for with all the PCI expansion etc. Wow. Seriously, Apple have outdone themselves here. Also with the custom card etc. I am sure this is a video editors/color graders wet dream. Would have loved a $1.000 lower price tag but those Xeons are just =()#¤/%#¤=# expensive.

ridgero

The pricing doesn’t seem justified.

My biggest concerns go to the SSD, many sources say it will be soldered to the logic board.

6k for 256 GB SSD? Thats 2013!

Even the iMac Pro starts with 1 TB and costs less.

FriFlo

I think it definitively looks like step in the right direction:
- large case with good air flow concept
- PCIe coming back - I wouldn't have thought they might be that reasonable!
- user-replaceable RAM - doesn't sound like a feature worth noting, but these days with Apple it is!
- supposedly, upgradable CPU ...
- 10GBe

On the Con-side:
- soldered SSD for Apple price - well, I might be willing to swallow that one pill ...
- what about internal SATA? Yes, you can buy PCIe expansions or go thunderbolt, but that will always be much more expensive and currently, the SATA 3 SSDs are at a sweet spot considering price and performance gain ...
- Xeon processors with low clock speed, as mentioned by ED ... it remains to be seen, wether one $10.000 machine will be replacing two $5.000 PCs - RAM: yes; Storage: yes; number of voices played in Kontakt: ???
- $6.000 is pretty close to what I would consider the max amount I would spend (I might double that, if it can really replace two machines with ridiculous amounts of RAM, though) ... that money will only buy me the 8-core, laughable 32GB of RAM (which will be replaced anyway), 256GB SSD (WHATTT???) ... I guess, this is where the real problem is hidden ... any meaningful configuration could be somewhere in the $30.000 range - I would not pay that money for a PC that could be obsolete in 3-5 years ...

Simon Ravn

I think it definitively looks like step in the right direction:
- large case with good air flow concept
- PCIe coming back - I wouldn't have thought they might be that reasonable!
- user-replaceable RAM - doesn't sound like a feature worth noting, but these days with Apple it is!
- supposedly, upgradable CPU ...
- 10GBe

On the Con-side:
- soldered SSD for Apple price - well, I might be willing to swallow that one pill ...
- what about internal SATA? Yes, you can buy PCIe expansions or go thunderbolt, but that will always be much more expensive and currently, the SATA 3 SSDs are at a sweet spot considering price and performance gain ...
- Xeon processors with low clock speed, as mentioned by ED ... it remains to be seen, wether one $10.000 machine will be replacing two $5.000 PCs - RAM: yes; Storage: yes; number of voices played in Kontakt: ???
- $6.000 is pretty close to what I would consider the max amount I would spend (I might double that, if it can really replace two machines with ridiculous amounts of RAM, though) ... that money will only buy me the 8-core, laughable 32GB of RAM (which will be replaced anyway), 256GB SSD (WHATTT???) ... I guess, this is where the real problem is hidden ... any meaningful configuration could be somewhere in the $30.000 range - I would not pay that money for a PC that could be obsolete in 3-5 years ...

The internal storage is a bit meeeh... But you CAN add normal SATA via a Promise card. However, what I think makes most sense for people like me/us who already have a lot of SSD SATA drives (which will still be fast enough for what we do) is to put those in a fairly inexpensive Thunderbolt expansion. That's what I will do if I decide to shell out the money for this.

FriFlo

One thing will be the deciding factor for me: will all the parts (except for the soldered SSDs) really be upgradable by techs (including CPU and repairs to the mainboard)? Or will Apple be preventing third parties to replace and upgrade due to their T2 security chips?
I might go for a $6.000 base model, still keep invested in a VEpro machine, if that $6.000 can be upgraded to a (now) $50.000 machine in about 3-5 years for much less. That is what I call "Nachhaltigkeit" and spending the money for a great (thermal) design, that could last something like a decade, would make sense to me.
I guess all of that information will become available until the end of the year. I am pretty sure about two things, though:
1) I will not pre-oder, but wait until there is more information!
2) It seems very likely, that a lot of people will wait for a long time before they will get those Mac Pros! And that is not necessarily, because those machines will be that great, but rather because of Apple waiting sooo long with an update of their Mac Pros! This is really the thing I hate about them. They artificially create a hype by doing nothing for more than half a decade. That is what really still makes me doubt to jump off the Apple train ... if only Windows wasn't such a mess in some aspects ...

samphony

I’ll get one but as it will run the latest macOS I’ll have to wait at least until April next year until the dust settled.

Top Bottom