What's new

The myth of the un-moderated community...

I think it's because the forum is geared toward orchestral music creation, which is a job/hobby that, like gardening and antique collecting, attracts primarily civil adults. For that reason, there is far less moderation needed here than on forums for topics like gaming, politics, sports, or celebrities.
Actually, that's really the thought I had before starting the thread i.e that given enough rope to hang themselves, adults generally won't. There might sometimes be a bit of jostling and taking of names, but in the end the pervasive feeling seems to be one of maintaining the kind of place 'we' want to keep returning to i.e self-moderation (aka not shitting on our own collective doorstep).

The small amount of moderation that does happen when members cause problems is crucial. When a forum is disbanded or otherwise left un-moderated, a form of entropy takes over. First, foul-mouthed trolls dig in and drive the civil members away. Then spam bots discover the site and drive the trolls out with ads for prescription medication, tactical knives, and home loans.

So, to anyone who came to VI-Control today to buy an iPhone for 90% off or Tramadol at wholesale prices, you're a little early. Please check back in 20 years.
Oh yeah...I've been on a completely un-moderated forum, even advocating for it to remain as such. Seems like a pretty good idea, in principle (free-speech, and all that), but it doesn't take long to just degenerate into an awful mess.

Having said that, if you know where I can get some Tramadol and a Balisong I'd really appreciate it ;)

Self-censorship is what keeps you on, blathering your mouth off is what keeps you banned for weeks (though mods told me days) like me.

This forum is totally self-moderating if your self is named Mike Greene.
I'm sure you're joking. However, just in case it wasn't clear: I'm not inferring that Mike isn't spending a lot of time spinning VI-C plates, nor am I suggesting this place is a breeze to keep running. It may just be, as another member pointed out, that I don't frequent the parts of the forum where things probably tend towards being more heated and where perhaps members are getting banned on the daily.

I have also seen (also been part of) threads where Mike has stepped in to bring things back to a simmer, enforcing a member 'time-out' and issuing a warning of a possible, impending split to the 'Drama Zone'.

Either way, it just seems to flow in a way that I've not seen elsewhere...hence the thread :2thumbs:

Self-censorship is what keeps you on, blathering your mouth off is what keeps you banned for weeks (though mods told me days) like me.
Mods!! Plural? Interesting...

(No need to divulge any names ;) )

Mods!! Plural? Interesting...
Yes, there are a few mods here. Jdiggity1 and Craig Sharmat are two that I can think of offhand. I was once asked to be a moderator here, and although I feel honored to have been asked, I declined because I just don't want to re-visit that responsibility. Plus, my moderation style is a bit different than Mike's. Mine is entirely by-the-book, which means every member regardless of stature, and every post regardless of content, is treated the same under the rules.

When I ran my forum years ago, naturally I had to interpret when a rule was being broken, but I never allowed myself to take a liberty beyond that. On my forum, if my best friend would have gotten into an argument with Adolph Hitler, and my friend called Hitler a disparaging name, I would have deleted my friend's post. Moderation actions should only enforce the rules, and not be influenced by opinion or emotion.

Oh yeah...I've been on a completely un-moderated forum, even advocating for it to remain as such. Seems like a pretty good idea, in principle (free-speech, and all that), but it doesn't take long to just degenerate into an awful mess.
You're right, it is a good idea in principle, but it's funny how all the insolent trolls who clamor the loudest for their right to free speech are the ones who want all the annoying ads for Tramadol deleted.

Given enough time, un-moderated forums will regress into a cesspool of political mudslinging, racism, misogyny, prostitution, trolling, scamming, and spamming. I often use Craigslist Rants & Raves as an example of internet society reduced to its lowest form. It's self-moderated so spam doesn't stay up very long, but it's self-moderated by uneducated armchair politicians, racists, trolls, conspiracy theorists, bigots, and perverts.

Yes, there are a few mods here. Jdiggity1 and Craig Sharmat are two that I can think of offhand. I was once asked to be a moderator here, and although I feel honored to have been asked, I declined because I just don't want to re-visit that responsibility. Plus, my moderation style is a bit different than Mike's. Mine is entirely by-the-book, which means every member regardless of stature, and every post regardless of content, is treated the same under the rules.

When I ran my forum years ago, naturally I had to interpret when a rule was being broken, but I never allowed myself to take a liberty beyond that. On my forum, if my best friend would have gotten into an argument with Adolph Hitler, and my friend called Hitler a disparaging name, I would have deleted my friend's post. Moderation actions should only enforce the rules, and not be influenced by opinion or emotion.

You're right, it is a good idea in principle, but it's funny how all the insolent trolls who clamor the loudest for their right to free speech are the ones who want all the annoying ads for Tramadol deleted.

Given enough time, un-moderated forums will regress into a cesspool of political mudslinging, racism, misogyny, prostitution, trolling, scamming, and spamming. I often use Craigslist Rants & Raves as an example of internet society reduced to its lowest form. It's self-moderated so spam doesn't stay up very long, but it's self-moderated by uneducated armchair politicians, racists, trolls, conspiracy theorists, bigots, and perverts.
Ah, gotcha. So there are mods after all.

Agreed pretty much with the rest, although I'm not sure Hitler would've been allowed to join my forum ;)

Top Bottom