The most realistic guitar vst?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by mwarsell, May 8, 2017.

1. Mike Fox

Mike Fox Senior Member

Jul 8, 2016
    I've yet to hear any kind of realistic guitar vst's. They all sound fake to me. I mean, you can probably get away with some basic chord strums, but anything outside of that is pushing it.

2. keepitsimple

keepitsimple Active Member

May 8, 2017
    I respectfully disagree. With a deep sampled dry guitar library along with a comprehensive list of articulations, paired with an excellent amp sim like S-gear, it can be easily accomplished. Of course, you need a good keyboard player who knows how to ride the pitch bend wheel to make the best of it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  3. Mike Fox

Mike Fox Senior Member

Jul 8, 2016
    I'm totally open to having my mind changed. Feel free to post an isolated electric guitar sample that was done with a keyboard that could fool my ears.

Btw, I do think your approach is probably the better way to acheive convincing guitar tones, as opposed to something "out of the box" like Shreddage.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    keepitsimple likes this.
  4. keepitsimple

May 8, 2017
    What's funny is that Shreddage is what i consider to be that "deeply sampled" dry guitar. I never use the built-in amps, especially with the existence of groundbreaking amp sims like S-Gear and very few others on the market.

You gonna use the best of both worlds:)

5. jmauz

jmauz Member

Huh. I use Shreddage dry through Helix Native amp sim's all the time. I've fooled many clients.

6. Mike Fox

Mike Fox Senior Member

Jul 8, 2016
    I think it's easy fool people who actually don't play that instrument. I'm sure an experienced violinist could point out a violin vst much faster than a guitarist (like myself) could.

7. Mike Fox

Mike Fox Senior Member

Jul 8, 2016
    What's ground breaking about S-Gear?

8. keepitsimple

May 8, 2017
    Lol i guess i have to be careful with my words around a guitarist. Ok maybe not "grounbreaking" but excellent to say the least. It's one of the most responsive tube amp sims around, extremely responsive to dynamics. I've seen guitar players debate whether to buy a Kemper anymore with the existence of S-Gear and the likes (which are very few).

Mike Fox likes this.
  9. DSmolken

DSmolken Senior Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Maybe we should do a blind test of real and fake guitars, like somebody did with violins a while back. It'd be interesting to see which plugins are good at fooling listeners, but the real interesting part is which human guitarists would be mistaken for plugins by the largest number of people.

10. jmauz

jmauz Member

Yes...thankfully my clients whom are guitarists do their own guitar tracks. :)

Mike Fox likes this.