What's new

The more libraries you have on the libraries tab -the longer Kontakt takes to load?

Yes i tested it myself it has to check for consistency each time you load it, so if you use custom libraries it takes more time, i had to combine them into categories to lower the load time which is sad because i really like the new search bar they added to navigate

I'm talking about how long it takes for Kontakt itself to load. Not how long it takes for the libraries themselves.

Not sure about the library tab, but I definitely noticed a big impact on loading time when you have lots of entries in the Quickload window.

Half a minute for loading Kontakt? That's way too much. I have way over 100 Kontakt Player libraries and Kontakt opens in 5 seconds. I wonder if there's antivirus scanning on Kontakt file types happening. You'll want to have some exclusions for Kontakt's extensions (or the whole drives where your sample libraries are).

Using a large database and/or quick-load could affect loading times, though. But still, if they're on SSD, that should be plenty fast. Which then again makes me wonder about antivirus scanning happening on file open...

Which then again makes me wonder about antivirus scanning happening on file open...
I suspect this could be the culprit as well.

I have about 60 Kontakt libraries, and on my system (AMD 2950X), an empty Kontakt 6 instance opens in about 150ms. (And as I mentioned elsewhere, for whatever reason, Kontakt 5 is much slower at about 1.5s.)

(And as I mentioned elsewhere, for whatever reason, Kontakt 5 is much slower at about 1.5s.)

Maybe one of the options to show foreign file formats, network and external drives is enabled in it? Are all Kontakt settings in Options otherwise identical between them?

Last edited:
Maybe the option to show foreign file formats, network and external drives is enabled in it? Are all Kontakt settings in Options otherwise identical between them?
Both have the option to show network drives but not removable drives. Kontakt 5 was set to show foreign file formats -- I don't see where this option is in Kontakt 6 -- but disabling it didn't change the load time. All the prefs in Options are identical. In fact, I purged the K5 database so it's entirely empty (while it's populated in K6), but K5 still takes 10x longer than K6 to instantiate.

K5's load time even at 1.5s never really bothered me terribly -- if I was sufficiently motivated to understand this, I'd bust out the profiling tools -- but it's admittedly kinda nice to hit 'k' in my DAW and have a new track with a fresh Kontakt instance open in about as much time as it takes me to hit the key. :)

Half a minute for loading Kontakt? That's way too much. I have way over 100 Kontakt Player libraries and Kontakt opens in 5 seconds. I wonder if there's antivirus scanning on Kontakt file types happening. You'll want to have some exclusions for Kontakt's extensions (or the whole drives where your sample libraries are).

Using a large database and/or quick-load could affect loading times, though. But still, if they're on SSD, that should be plenty fast. Which then again makes me wonder about antivirus scanning happening on file open...

Thanks.
1. Why should the number of libraries or if they are scanned for viruses when you load them - should have an impact on how long it takes for Kontakt itself to load?

2. How do i exclude folders or whole drives from being scanned?

I agree, and I have gone through a support case with NI, but to no avail. No Antivirus in place, database completely deleted, we tried a dozen things but with no success. In the end they said they have no clue and the support ticket was closed without a solution.

1. Why should the number of libraries or if they are scanned for viruses when you load them - should have an impact on how long it takes for Kontakt itself to load?

What is confusing about that? Why does it take longer to run 10 miles than it takes to run 1 mile? Kontakt is checking your products/registration information for your libraries, if you have more libraries - it has more things to check, it's really as simple as that.

As far as antivirus issues - I'm not an expert, but kontakt IS a dll afterall, and your antivirus doesn't trust it anymore than any other dlls. It doesn't know these things are harmless unless you tell it manually that they are harmless. And how you whitelist folders/dlls from your antivirus depends entirely on your antivirus.

The more things you have, the more things to scan. AV scanning of files on open (that means every time fopen() is called from a program to open a file and check something in it) can slow things down tremendously, especially f.i. when loading patches with a lot of samples. This is why antivirus should have exceptions for Kontakt's file formats and sample drives.

The more things you have, the more things to scan.
I'll tell you what's strange.
1. When i open up Maschine, it takes the same time whether it has 1 expansion or 50 expansions.
2. Komplete Kontrol has all these libraries and other plugins - yet it takes less to load.

Top Bottom