What's new

The Mandalorian - OUTSTANDING Score

Just listened to the entire score on Spotify. So nice to hear a mix that isn't awash in reverb. And one that actually uses woodwinds...

Doesn't do much for me either. I will stick to my tone deaf preferences like Mahler, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, you know, those hacks....
I don't follow the logic. Is this work and the work of those you referenced somehow mutually exclusive? Talk about tone deafness.

I don't follow the logic. Is this work and the work of those you referenced somehow mutually exclusive? Talk about tone deafness.
Well you seem to invalidate anyone who could have an opposing view on this particular score. I’ve listened to it and it might be effective in context but not terribly interesting on its own.

And maybe cut down on the barbs you’re throwing around about tone deafness eh?

Once it got going I thought it had a satisfyingly cheesy/dirty Rocky Balboa vibe - like "guess the temp" at a few points. I wonder if the brief/temp was Rocky in space? Haven't seen the show but if that's what it's going for then it works well I'd imagine.

While watching the show, I liked some individual moments where there was a particular motif or flourish to establish a scene. I liked the sonic palette - I agree with the OP: understated hybrid orch was a nice choice. But I thought a lot of the general underscore sounded dated - not in production, but the musical lines made me think of something from Magnum PI or the A-Team (which totally worked in their time). Just my personal take. But I LOVED the show overall!

Preferred the original ...

Just kidding. I can see where everyone is coming from (those who don't like it, and those who do). I like the fact that it attempts to do something. Not quite my cup of tea, but I can very well see how someone would like it.

Is it the same guy who did Black Panther? Absolutely hated that.

My take is I absolutely loved the direction that they attempted to go in but felt that they failed that direction and overall underwhelmed. I think it was a great choice I just wish they had done it better is all. There were a couple of tracks I really enjoyed though, needed more of that.

Once it got going I thought it had a satisfyingly cheesy/dirty Rocky Balboa vibe - like "guess the temp" at a few points. I wonder if the brief/temp was Rocky in space? Haven't seen the show but if that's what it's going for then it works well I'd imagine.
Well the composer also was the composer for Creed 1+2..... . I don't know. The Rocky is definitely there. That being said, I like that it sounds differently to what I would expect from Star Wars.

Top Bottom