1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Light Of Life

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by Mads Skønberg, Jan 7, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Mads Skønberg

Mads Skønberg Senior Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Of course not. Inspiration is important. But copying a "structure" is just boring I guess.

2. bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Still a lot of original blues being written on the same structure.

3. OP
    OP
    Mads Skønberg

Aug 18, 2017
    Im not writing blues. And maybe thats the reason why blues is so boring? Everyone using the same structure?

4. bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    That's opinion. Limiting for your development - since that was what you asked about.

You can be curious and learn a lot - not just from the music you like or listen to - not just from music. Or you can shut yourself of and learn nothing. Your choice.

The trend I see among people getting gigs and getting their music out there is, they continue to educate themself.

5. OP
    OP
    Mads Skønberg

Aug 18, 2017
    Fair enough, everyone has something to learn - And I have EXTREMELY much to learn. My music sounds crap compared to the pros. I am learning from other composers every day. But I dont want to copy anyone. Then I rather sound crap and originally:)

6. thesteelydane

thesteelydane Senior Member

Apr 9, 2015
    You know what one of the all time greats said about learning, right? “Imitate, assimilate, innovate”.

7. AdamAlake

AdamAlake Music Person

Do you know the purpose of structure in music?

Akarin likes this.
  8. chrisphan

chrisphan Senior Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Of course I meant "be great like them." You won't be as dead as Ravel after learning music theory :P

Bryla's example was not the best one. Learning music theory doesn't make you follow any structure like the blues. Anyway, the topic of learning music theory or not has been said enough so I'm not gonna bring it up again. I have 2 things to comment on your viewpoint however. First, your definition of originality is an illusion. Unless you grew up in an island and never listened to music, you are likely to be influenced by music you've listened to, and hundreds of years of Western music history. Second, learning music theory doesn't always mean sitting down to read a book. You might be learning by watching videos or internalizing your favorite music without knowing, and that's totally fine.

dannymc likes this.
  9. jhughes

jhughes Senior Member

May 12, 2017
    Georgia
    Question-Look at your favorite composers, what did they study? What was their training? Perhaps consider some of those topics.
    I realize theory is often a dainting dask but IMO it's point is to increase your hearing abilities, not fill your head with random disconnected things. Not to make you unoriginal. It gives more options, it doesn't take away unless you let it.
    It's like the color turquoise, the color has a label and simply allows you to differentiate between other colors. Labels or theory actually can increase your ability to hear things clearer and faster; the problem is it's often divorced from the HEARING side of things and becomes factoids that seem disconnected from SOUND.
    You mentioned transposing, was this mid song? If so, modulations often need a preparation phase to prevent a jarring effect. Perhaps that is problem.