1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Joshua Bell Violin (Developer’s Thread)

Discussion in 'COMMERCIAL Announcements' started by Embertone, Jun 5, 2017.

1. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I didn't know that, but, it sounds great.

2. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Here is a very short demo of JB Violin Sordino :)

gwillimw and skythemusic like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Embertone

Embertone Senior Member

Oct 7, 2011
    U.S.A.
    It was modeled directly from Josh’s famous Huberman Strad :)

4. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Interesting, could you elaborate on what you mean by 'modeled' ? i.e. are you using special IR-modeling, or specialized filters, or ... to emulate the Sordino timbre of his Huberman Strad ?

5. OP
    OP
    Embertone

Embertone Senior Member

Oct 7, 2011
    U.S.A.
    We had Joshua play up and down the instrument with his mute on...

Then we brought Ernest Cholakis of Numerical Sound in to analyze that set of real sordino sustains and create IRs based on the EQ pattern differences between “normal” and “sordino”

6. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know that it's possible to create IRs based on EQ patterns. Always new, and exciting things I learn from wonderful people on this forum. This must be quite a sophisticated technology, and possibly something unique that Numerical Sound is able to accomplish.

Embertone likes this.
  7. Vardaro

Vardaro Senior Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Near Paris, France
    Interesting. The IR thing is necessary because the mute doesn't just reduce the higher overtones, but also shifts the main wood resonances downwards.
    Edit: So it's not just changing the timbre, but also the response

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017 at 1:24 PM
    Embertone likes this.
  8. Fleer

Fleer Senior Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Boston/Cambridge
    This is an absolutely beautiful, mesmerizing instrument. Simply amazing. Music incarnate.

StillLife likes this.
  9. SpeakPianissimoAndCarry..

SpeakPianissimoAndCarry.. Senior Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Alert, Nunavut
    Absolutely the most fun I have ever had with an out of the box library. Of course the ideal would for me to learn violin and do all of that live, but I am a bass player/oboist. Not gonna happen. I live in a small town and there are no live violinists who can play as good as me playing your library out of the box. I keep saying out of the box because I have not had time to explore everything in the library yet. I watched the videos in the wee hours of the mornings and said "If only I did not spend most of my week and weekends making fireworks and dynamite for a living, I could have even more fun with it."

Be that as it may, I had fun with it as is. It changed my direction in music creation. Rather than try to recreate the orchestras I used to play with, I can now have fun trying to recreate the rock and jazz bands that I used to play with. Four or five solo players ensemble, not 60 or more. And really, how many times does an orchestras feature a soloist like this? Not every concert for sure. If focused on composing for the orchestra, I would rarely use it, even as fun as it is. The fun for this library is Mahavishnu Orchestra type music. At least for me, anyway.

Thank you for this Embertone. Really great work at your craft. I for one, appreciate your work and time put into it. I already got my money's worth, even before exploring all of its possibilities.

10. StillLife

StillLife Senior Member

Mar 18, 2017
    If first impressions are anything to go by, I think I will indeed love this instrument. Just downloaded it, fired up Cubase, laid down two chords with LCO and a Tundra synth and just played the Bell, improvising - letting its sound lead me. These are literally the first few notes I played with it, as if I picked it up in a shop to try it out. You cannot get more 'out of the box' than this. Bear in my mind I don't know anything about realistic violin playing techniques, so this is not for the purists: just for anyone who wants to know how it sounds.

Attached Files:

Sid Francis and Fleer like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Embertone

Embertone Senior Member

Oct 7, 2011
    U.S.A.
    We're going live on YouTube in 15 minutes! Join us as we talk about the Joshua Bell Violin and answer user questions: https://goo.gl/vLrQZD

12. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Cool ! Thanks for the notification here.

13. jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi, wondering if it's possible to play the emotional rebowing "scoops" as a starting note (and not as a rebow)?

Eg: Short short short scoop

14. axb312

axb312 Active Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Whats up guys? Looking forward to more demos....

15. Fleer

Fleer Senior Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Boston/Cambridge
    They did a great YouTube. This library is one of the very best I’ve ever played.

16. mc_deli

mc_deli Senior Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Anyone using this as violin1 with the other Embertone solo strings in a quartet setting?

17. Phryq

Phryq AlbertMcKay.com

Jan 26, 2015
    Turkey