1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Izotope suite

Discussion in 'Mixing, Post-Production, and Effects' started by StillLife, Jun 12, 2018.

1. StillLife

StillLife Senior Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Hi all,

I've tried out the demo of Neutron2 for 10 days, and it was a joy to work with. So now I want to buy the full version. Luckily, as of today there is a sale at Izotope: the music production suite is half of. As I already own Nektar, I can get it for around 250 dollars at JJRshop (with the group discount).
    The only thing what is holding me down is, will I have use for the other stuff in the suite?

Ozone8. I think: YES. It's the bigger brother of Neutron, and I really like the way the two work together, and see and hear eachother. I wanted to buy the O8N2 bundle before, so this one is very welcome.
    RX6 standard. I read very much praise about this program, and I know (sort of) what it can do. I just don't know when I would use it... When do you?
    Nectar2. Already have it. Very nice plugin.
    Vocalsynth. I don't know. Seems to be streamlined towards house/EDM etc, and that's not really my style (I am a pop/rock/alternative/singer-songwriter type). I watched some video's but until now - can't seem to get my head around it. Anybody here uses it?
    Trash. Of that one I know very little. It's a creative effect? Having Soundtoys 5 already, I fear Trash will be the least useable plugin in this suite for me.

I am curious what you think. Any users of (the plugins in) the suite? Does all of its content come in handy, you think?
    Thanks in advance,
    Martijn

2. gsilbers

gsilbers Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com

RX6 is for fixing audio. like noise, clicks and such. great for post production or when doing sample libraries or the occasional crappy audio someone sends you. but if you don't do this sort of stuff then no need really.

vocal synth is just a synth. there is no Edm or cinematic synth or anything synth. there are indeed, heavy use of Edm patches to scroll through. if you have time to make your own then better. check out the features you like or not and compare to what you have. Edm and hiphop are the genres that sell the most so they focus on those presets.

trash is very good. great distortion unit. I use it all the time.

thats the issue with bundles, you sometimes have to buy extra stuff you won't be using... or you suddenly find a gem you didn't know you will be using. I have ozone and looking at nectar2 seems they overlap on a few things. they have a demo so its good to try it out first. The one thing for sure is that izotope will keep having sales on the different distributors so I wouldn't feel so rushed.

3. aaronventure

aaronventure Senior Member

Apr 10, 2017
    I use RX6 to de-noise and de-click my voiceovers. I also use it, with the threshold tied to CC1, to actively de-noise Cinematic Studio Strings and any other noisy libraries that lack high end.

Neutron 2 sounds wonderful. Especially when you can drop Tonal Balance Control on the Master and access any N2 EQ in the session from there. The masking is great. I love the compressors. The multiband transient shaper with up to 9 behavior modes is an absolute must-have. The 4-zone exciter is also great.

Ozone 8 is a beast. It has a much stronger Dynamic EQ than Neutron so when you need extra precision, look there. The multiband compressor also offers much more control. The exciter offers more colors, but lacks the pad to mix them. Then there's the awesome tape.

Trash is one of the most comprehensive distortion plugins.

The only thing iZotope is lacking is a top-tier reverb. So if you already own a great reverb that you like, the current iZotope suite may be the only other set of plugins that you'd need to pull off a fantastic mix.

gregh likes this.
  4. johnbusbymusic

johnbusbymusic Musician/Composer

Oct 10, 2016
    Mississippi
    Neutron 2 and Ozone 8 are incredible! i'll recommend these until i die or until the next update :)

5. JT

JT Senior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Midwest
    I've used RX6 to remove some background noise on an otherwise perfect track. My refrigerator compressor kicked on while I was recording. I almost trashed the track, but RX6 removed the noise very quickly.

6. JEPA

JEPA Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Germany
    Buy it! Happy customer here. Compressors and limiters are super clean. EQs also. RX magic for cleaning audio or creative work on your samples, perfect looping. Trash great distortion, you can also saturate slightly tracks any type: drums, vocals, guitar and bass. Vocalsynth, you can use it to layer guitars pads/effects for example if your not using it on vocal tracks.

gregh likes this.
  7. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    I have O8N2 and upgraded from O7N1-bundle (so a few years of use):

It was probably a beginner mistake, but when I got Neutron I watched all the tutorials and added it to all instrument-tracks, ran the "learn" algorithms on each track, and adjusted the settings for every single instrument. Bu happenstance, I one day turn off all inserts (incl. Neutron) and everything got clearer and much richer sounding. So while I could never pinpoint any one thing that Neutron did to "mess it up", it was clearly in aggregate adversely impacting the overall sound. I now only use Neutron to adjust something that needs adjusting.

I find this whole experience with Neutron enlightening, as I'd say that all instrument-track sounded improved with Neutron, but in aggregate the effect was negative. I think it ultimately confirms that there is "no free lunch" with signal processing. Every effect changes phase and/or frequency relationships and it ultimately fuzzes the signal. Fascinating.

So if you proceed: watch all the tutorial but apply with care.

I hope this longer post/rant makes sense :)

mac88104 likes this.
  8. leon chevalier

leon chevalier Looking for time to compose...

Nov 19, 2015
    France
    Another Izotope lover here ! :) Go for it if you afford, you will not regret it !