What's new

The Guy Michelmore Appreciation Thread

They always say though, "never meet your heros!"

Wise words, a friend of mine said he met Rick Beato at NAMM and that he had a shitty attitude, so he doesn't watch his videos anymore. I want to enjoy Guy's videos and believe he's just as friendly in real life.

I'm a big fan of Guy Michelmore. Although I don't think I've actually learned much from his videos, the most important lesson one can learn from Guy is what he doesn't explicitly teach: don't forget to have fun while you follow your passion. :)
...And that's a BIG lesson to keep in mind!

I mean, none of us got into the music business for the money; and there are a lot of disappointments, frustrations, and headaches associated with making music your career.

After decades of being a professional musician, I haven't completely lost my playfulness and joy in making music, not even close; but admittedly, some days are better than others. Guy's videos are like a booster shot of positive energy. Always helpful!

Even though I have less to learn from Guy's channel than a newcomer would, there are still a few odds and ends from Guy's approach that I've managed to cobble into my way of working. Those are valuable as well.

Best,

Geoff

I'm looking to getting the course "sampled orchestration in a week-end", does it worth it ? Do we really learn that much of how makin samples realistic ?

I just want to love life, be as full of energy and as active as he is, when I get his age. The music and passion has kept him young. That's the kind of guy I want to be. That's an inspiration to me, plus he makes great music too like so easily.

@Markrs and @MikeK :

What is your experience with his basic theory course? Have you finished it, and how solid a foundation do you feel it has given you?

Cheers!

--------------

Also, would like to add my general appreciation for his Youtube content.

One thing I've really taken from his videos is to stop second-guessing one's ideas. Get a basic motif/chord-structure up 'n' running, just hit record, and keep moving horizontally until the momentum drops. Tidying-up and getting it right is for 'later'. Seems like the perfect antidote for getting stuck in loop/vertical composition i.e the musical equivalent of ''Missing the forest for the trees'.

This guy has been killing it on YouTube for years. His upbeat delivery and enthusiasm for sample libraries and composing is infectious. I don't think he's a member of this forum, but I wish he were. I never miss one of his videos.

What a tremendous positive and fun spirit!! Very few people in the world are as special as Guy Michelmore, he is such a joy to watch. The world needs to be filled up with more Guy Michelmores!!

@Markrs and @MikeK :

What is your experience with his basic theory course? Have you finished it, and how solid a foundation do you feel it has given you?

Cheers!

--------------

Also, would like to add my general appreciation for his Youtube content.

One thing I've really taken from his videos is to stop second-guessing one's ideas. Get a basic motif/chord-structure up 'n' running, just hit record, and keep moving horizontally until the momentum drops. Tidying-up and getting it right is for 'later'. Seems like the perfect antidote for getting stuck in loop/vertical composition i.e the musical equivalent of ''Missing the forest for the trees'.

Yep I did finish it. He goes at a fair pace and covers lots of the basic theory covering 7ths, 9ths, 11th, plus all the modes. He also goes through rythym. There is plenty there and he often has extra material on a topic if you still need more help. The only negative is you are not pinning the knowledge to anything, like using it in a composition. The way i used it was to get that information, knowing I will forget some of it, then to refer back when needed.

I find it helps when you watch something like a youtube video that mentions a mode or more advanced chord you know a little more about what they are talking about.

However I am still using other composition and theory courses on both Udemy and Skillshare to supplement the knowledge.

+1 to all that's been said. I only discovered Guy's videos a couple of months ago, and his channel instantly became one of the very few that I follow. What's not to love about Guy!

Thanks for responding!

Yep I did finish it. He goes at a fair pace and covers lots of the basic theory covering 7ths, 9ths, 11th, plus all the modes. He also goes through rythym. There is plenty there and he often has extra material on a topic if you still need more help. The only negative is you are not pinning the knowledge to anything, like using it in a composition. The way i used it was to get that information, knowing I will forget some of it, then to refer back when needed.

I like the idea of moving at a faster pace. Good for holding attention and interest. It would be good to have examples in a working project/context, but I guess he's making a clear delineation between this and his other courses.

I find it helps when you watch something like a youtube video that mentions a mode or more advanced chord you know a little more about what they are talking about.

No doubt! Good to be able to speak the lingo ;)

However I am still using other composition and theory courses on both Udemy and Skillshare to supplement the knowledge.

I already bought a few parts of Jason Allen's 'Music Theory Comprehensive Complete' course (Udemy), a while back, thinking that the best way to proceed would be to start right at the beginning and move slowly. That hasn't happened. I guess I need a much quicker pay-off; enough to kindle the fires of interest and motivate to go deeper, at which point I think Jason's course will feel a little more approachable.

Curious to know, however, if it felt like it was complete, in and of itself i.e If you had no access to any further resources (Other than re-watching Guy's course, over and over), do you feel that you have a solid enough foundation?

Thanks, again.

p.s: Sorry to robgb, for the derail. Wasn't really thinking. Happy to delete my comments and take it to pm's, if need be.

Top Bottom