What's new

The forbidden (original late romantic style composition)

sherief83

Hello friends,
Thought i'd post a new piece that took a while to compose but its semi there just needs fine tuning.

This is not final mix, I'll re export the whole thing again from scratch, this was just a quick jerry rig thing I did to make it listenable.

looking forward to everyone who can spare 26 mins and give an impression of it to help finalize it.

I listened through the whole thing while working, so I wasn't able to pay full attention at all times.

Regardles of that: Wonderful job!

I loved the harmonic movement / shifts and the overall development towards more elusive colors and shapes in both harmony and orchestration. On occasion felt nicely like something between Debussy and Korngold to me. That choir in the second movement felt a bit virtual instrumenty and off as a whole next to everything else throughout, which is just spot on (though I only listened this through my laptops speakers).

No time to comment more, but damn you're good!

I listened through the whole thing while working, so I wasn't able to pay full attention at all times.

Regardles of that: Wonderful job!

I loved the harmonic movement / shifts and the overall development towards more elusive colors and shapes in both harmony and orchestration. On occasion felt nicely like something between Debussy and Korngold to me. That choir in the second movement felt a bit virtual instrumenty and off as a whole next to everything else throughout, which is just spot on (though I only listened this through my laptops speakers).

No time to comment more, but damn you're good!

Thank you tatu :) I genuinely appreciate your comment.On the choir, I agree.I suppose I could mess with the positioning of the choir in the mix which might take out some of the obvious stuff with it.

Something to do for sure. But thank you again:)

Hey Guys, sorry for the bump, just have a very specific question.

How is the mix? is anyone's ears bothered by the method i used here? any un usual frequency thats just jumping out to any of you?

Appreciate everyone's help :)

Hey Guys, sorry for the bump, just have a very specific question.

How is the mix? is anyone's ears bothered by the method i used here? any un usual frequency thats just jumping out to any of you?

Appreciate everyone's help :)

I didn't notice anything regarding the mix. I think it sounds very good and I really like the solo instruments.

I didn't notice anything regarding the mix. I think it sounds very good and I really like the solo instruments.

Gotcha, thanks, I listened today for the first time since I uploaded them.

Granted I used cheap apple headphones which I consider what would be used to listen to something like this and I felt the over all mix was a bit imposing or forcing it self.

In technical terms, too much in the mid to lower end range and I didn't know if its just my ears which I don't know if I can trust, cheap headphones, or something in the mix.

if anyone hears what i'm referring to, let me know.

The 1st mvt is gorgeous. You are good!

Crappy pc speakers don't do your music justice so I listened with high-end Grado headphones.

Near the 3 min mark things shift to an eery soundscape which had me on alert; but, when the timps come in at 3:40 I should literally jump out of my skin. I did not though. IMHO it is here the mix lacks heft/balls.

One suggestion: try increasing your low to low-mid frequencies.

You are likely 99% there in your mix. I wish you the best.

The 1st mvt is gorgeous. You are good!

Crappy pc speakers don't do your music justice so I listened with high-end Grado headphones.

Near the 3 min mark things shift to an eery soundscape which had me on alert; but, when the timps come in at 3:40 I should literally jump out of my skin. I did not though. IMHO it is here the mix lacks heft/balls.

One suggestion: try increasing your low to low-mid frequencies.

You are likely 99% there in your mix. I wish you the best.

Thank you :)

I believe I pulled back on that Big orchestra Hit mid first movement. You're right I should make it as loud as it was. i worry about these things and if it might cause issues lol

The one I did not pull back on is the fifth movement big moment one. you should check it out :) That is my most Glories moment I've ever made.

for the mix, I was actually concerned that I haven't taken out enough low to mid frequencies out but your suggesting I increase it even more, that confuses me lol. i'll re listen tonight on my monitors again even though they don't show that frequency range well at all.

I'm still not happy with the second movement choir..it has weak moments to it that i'll fiddle with this weekend.

I went through all 5 movements. Wow. Your mix sounds just fine and is consistent mvt to mvt. Really speaks volumes to your DAW-ing, mixing skill-set == nice results.

May I ask,

Do you use Ozone or Neutron at all for mixing?

Do you use StudioOne DAW to master this so each movement fits so well together?

Lastly, what reference work do you compare your mix against?

I listened to Respighi then Scheherazade afterwards but you may have another work in mind as your reference.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Holy wow, this knocked my socks off!

Korngold immediately came to mind, and listening to it was immensely stimulating, like a story unfolding. Maybe there are better choirs for this piece?

I love the indeterminate harmonic language. It led me on and on and on.

The bass is terrifying. The mix is awesome. End of the third mvt. was glorious. Like old Hollywood.

The 4th mvt. was children letting the evil spirits out of the lamp, and the ensuing chaos.

The 5th mvt., a new day dawned. In a kingdom of ruin and destruction, like Disney's The Black Hole, I was making food in the kitchen and shouting out loud at the majesty. The ending? You padded the preceding work with so many fireworks, I was hoping for a more convincing conclusion. I know nothing, really, just how I feel. I listened to it all. I like it all.

I remarked to a friend in the other room working on old computers, "This is a guy with virtual instruments." We were both taken aback at this work.

It is completely believable as a fantasy score, or a suite that stands on its own. THAT VIOLIN. More than that, it's the achingly beautiful lines you wrote and played.

Bravo. Just, wow. What an incredible change you made to my day with this. Pure pleasure.

I went through all 5 movements. Wow. Your mix sounds just fine and is consistent mvt to mvt. Really speaks volumes to your DAW-ing, mixing skill-set == nice results.

May I ask,

Do you use Ozone or Neutron at all for mixing?

Do you use StudioOne DAW to master this so each movement fits so well together?

Lastly, what reference work do you compare your mix against?

I listened to Respighi then Scheherazade afterwards but you may have another work in mind as your reference.

Cheers.

Thank you very much! appreciate it :)

Everything I do is in Logic, even post.

The 5 pieces were actually one a giant one piece together once but i felt it was a long listen over all and it was clear that it was 5 sections to one piece so I divided them. That probably explains the constant feel over all of them, thats the best way to do it, compose them all in the same template.

As for reference, I do listen to orchestral music all the time, but no particular recording reference, this was just done based on observations over the years of studying and obsessing over my favorite orchestral works out there. It really just takes you being obsessive about what you listen, force to listen to the smallest silly details. and then now its your mission to replicate or mimic which won't be easy at first but...the longer you go about this, the better you'll get but not close and always room for improvement.

So i'm hoping my next piece will hopefully slightly better although i have not went out there to buy the latest of libraries, almost the bulk of what i use is stuff that is 2/3 years old so i'm spending more time finding the best way to use these libraries which to me...is super fan to have limits like that and the creative solutions that come from it.

Holy wow, this knocked my socks off!

Korngold immediately came to mind, and listening to it was immensely stimulating, like a story unfolding. Maybe there are better choirs for this piece?

I love the indeterminate harmonic language. It led me on and on and on.

The bass is terrifying. The mix is awesome. End of the third mvt. was glorious. Like old Hollywood.

The 4th mvt. was children letting the evil spirits out of the lamp, and the ensuing chaos.

The 5th mvt., a new day dawned. In a kingdom of ruin and destruction, like Disney's The Black Hole, I was making food in the kitchen and shouting out loud at the majesty. The ending? You padded the preceding work with so many fireworks, I was hoping for a more convincing conclusion. I know nothing, really, just how I feel. I listened to it all. I like it all.

I remarked to a friend in the other room working on old computers, "This is a guy with virtual instruments." We were both taken aback at this work.

It is completely believable as a fantasy score, or a suite that stands on its own. THAT VIOLIN. More than that, it's the achingly beautiful lines you wrote and played.

Bravo. Just, wow. What an incredible change you made to my day with this. Pure pleasure.

I had a very long day today of nothing but boring work and life and coming back to your comment...makes my day as well!

Thank you for taking time out to let me know how you felt, it feels very good to know that what I made here created a stimulating experience that gave you satisfaction and joy. it keeps me going as well to produce hopfully more of these.

So thank you again i do appreciate it very very much and i can't wait for you to listen to whats next...sometime next year of course lol.

Top Bottom