1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The EXS-24 Thread

Discussion in 'EXS24' started by synthpunk, Feb 11, 2017.

1. charlieclouser

charlieclouser Senior Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Well, if you're at 4k and so am I, my screen shot will look the same as yours does when it's viewed on your 27" display.

4k = 4k.

But my display is 32", so the dot pitch is a bit bigger than it would be on your 27" display. That's the difference. I also have my display mounted low and close - the bottom edge of the display is 29" from the floor, and 30" away from my eyes. I don't have it mounted up high on a shelf, there's not a console or a bunch of control surface junk between me and the display, it's just the music keyboard (a thin and shallow M-Audio Keystation 88es), a Mac keyboard, and about six inches of empty space between me and the display.

I did check out Logic X on various sizes of 4k displays before I bought the one I have, and I figured that a 32" display had the smallest dot pitch that would be workable for me. I might switch to a 43" display, but it's physically so huge that I don't really like it, although it would allow me to mount it further away. I was over at Reinhold Heil's place and he's got an LG 43" quad-client 4k display that he got at Costco for around $600, and he loves it. It's pretty much the same as the Dell 43" 4k quad-client display. But I really like my minimalist setup and don't really need to clutter up the desk surface with Mackie Controls and stuff, so I'm not in any hurry to get the huge-o-tron display.

Some older third-party plugins look pretty tiny, like Waves L3, but it's not like there's tons of useful information being displayed. As long as I can make out the yellow numbers that indicate the threshold, I'm good. Three things that help sometimes:

- Logic's plugins (and the latest Arturia ones, as well as some others) can all be re-sized, so that makes it easier to see tiny controls even on my main 4k display. 125% or 150% is usually enough for me - when I remember to use that feature.

- The displays on either side of my center one are only 2560x1600, but are also 32", so the dot pitch is significantly larger. If I drag a plugin window to one of those displays, it "looks" much larger than it would on the 4k display.

- In System Preferences > Accessibility > Zoom I have enabled "Use scroll gesture with modifier keys to zoom" and set it to use the Control Key modifier. This means I can hold Control and zing the scroll wheel on my trackball to instantly zoom the display, centered around the mouse cursor. I really only use that to blow up a progress bar to huge size when I want to sit across the room while I wait for a download to complete or whatever, but that's a quick way to zoom in on itty-bitty windows in a pinch.

jsheaucsb and shapednoise like this.
  2. jsheaucsb

jsheaucsb Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Thanks for the reply! Super helpful. Probably will have to move to a larger display then. Slowly [very slowly!] making the move to X from 9.

3. charlieclouser

Dec 20, 2009
    Yes, I couldn't stomach the move from LPv9 to LPX until I found the right 4k display. In v9 you could zoom out vertically very very far, so that you could display more than a hundred tracks on a 2560 x 1600 display. Even though the tracks were so small vertically that the track names became difficult to read, I still need the ability to do this, since I don't always need to see the track names when everything is color coded and organized the way I normally do it.

In LPX you can't zoom out quite as much in the vertical dimension as you could in v9, and many other elements of the GUI became fat (phat?) and chunky, so what used to be workable in v9 on a 2560 x 1600 display became unusable for me in LPX on that same display. So I went to the Apple store where they had that first 32" Samsung 4k display hooked up to a Mac Pro cylinder and of course they had Logic installed on that machine, and I was able to see how it looked in person. That was where I decided that anything smaller than a 32" 4k display would be too small for me - I mean, it's right at the limit of being too tiny. I've been using that setup for a few years, and now we're starting to see reasonably priced 43" 4k displays that are not televisions, but are actual computer displays. LPX looks great on a big 4k display like that, and I might just take the plunge now that these displays are even cheaper than my original 32" one cost. The multi-client thing is an intriguing bonus feature but probably not something I'd actually use, but it might be useful for some users who want to keep an eye on four VEPro slaves at once or something like that.

jsheaucsb likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Hell's Kitchen/Orlando
    Yah I'm sure it's Apple's evil plan to make our old monitors obsolete like they do everything else :grin:

Charlie, what size is that monstrosity John Powell is using ?

5. charlieclouser

Dec 20, 2009
    No idea about John Powell's display, but it looks larger than 43". Still, 43" is pretty freaking huge. Any bigger and you get into the territory where you've got to actually move your head and not just your eyes as you glance at different areas of the screen. That's just too much for me. I sat for a while in front of a 43" 4k display the other day and it was about the biggest I'd want to sit in front of.

6. whinecellar

whinecellar Senior Member

Yep, I have the 40" Philips many of us have raved about for the past year or so, and while I love all that real estate when navigating a large template, it does involve lots of head turning and leaning in to read the corners. It's ironic that I end up moving things to the center of the screen quite a bit! It's also interesting how Logic adapts to such a large workspace; I end up zooming some editors to about the same proportions they'd be on a 1080p display.

So while it solves some problems, it creates others. I now understand why curved screens exist - I am currently on the hunt for a big one with the right amount of curve and pro features. The pickings are slim!

7. charlieclouser

Dec 20, 2009
    I really wish that some of the big curved displays had more vertical pixels - I love the ergonomics and look of some of the super-wide curved "gaming" displays, but most seem to be only 1080 pixels vertically.... not nearly enough for me.

whinecellar likes this.
  8. whinecellar

whinecellar Senior Member

Agreed, Charlie. There are a few that do 1440 vertical, but I’m so used to a full 4k (3840hx 2160v) - I just want that in a curved panel that happens to be a real monitor and not a TV. The search is on...