What's new

The Excelsior Class - Main Title

Fun. I enjoyed the listen and hearing all of the signatures from Horner and Goldsmith. How was the low rumble/drone made at the very beginning? It really nailed that Aliens space atmosphere in the first 10 seconds.

You can do that with just white noise and a narrow band going up and down the frequency spectrum.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/noise-mp3.12306/][/AUDIOPLUS]

The narrower the band, the more pronounced will the sweeping effect be.

Attachments

• Noise.mp3
    398.4 KB · Views: 48
Sorry for bumping that old thread, but the score sheet is going well for the track, my big helping hand from New York is in the later parts and I am sure to post something soon. I hope also to get some learning from that (what was good and what not in regards of the midi performance vs. real orchestral score sheet).

So I did take the 3 minutes to listen to your piece Alex, and only because I'm also a big Star Trek fan.
Well... I love it:) what can I say more.

Alexander, not to deflect from this discussion (which has been excellent), but I am almost done with the Sibelius score of 'Polychordal' .. would you like to create a play-through video of that one?

The MIDI you get out of Sibelius sounds fantastic. I purchased Sibelius after a long hiatus about six months ago and have found manipulating the MIDI to be an incredible pain which has really slowed my progress in getting back into the software and trying to shift some of my workflows out of Logic.

I was very surprised to see the opening passage marked forte for three trumpets? From the MIDI anyway, I took this to be a sort of echo of the Alexander Courage theme (over the deep drone etc). It's all relative of course but three trumpets at that dynamic seem too loud for the entrance.

I am so extremely impressed of this track. Totally blown away!!

Sounds 100% like a real orchestra.

New year orchestra of Vienna!

GREAT work Alex! You should be proud! Just love the horns, brass and the theme.

Kudos!

I honestly feel and just that is my perspective that the strings fit greatly for this kind of style and music and they absolutely do here a great job to be honest. So I don´t think at all that they sound synthy. It is a bit surprising me because I felt exact the other way around. But it seems that there is something with the sound expactations maybe? I am not sure. But it seems opinions are very different on this subject because another guy even asked me what strings that are because he felt that they sounded really great. Can you maybe point out if there is a specific spot for you which does sound synthy? Thank you.

I agree with you @AlexanderSchiborr about the strings. They sound great to me. The sound is a bit more aggressive than the Spitfire sound, but that does not make it bad or unrealistic. A pro recording/mixing engineer can make real strings sound darker or brighter, silky smooth or harsh. The thing that makes samples sound synthy to me is when the phrasing is not musical or the mixing is bad. That does not apply to your work. This piece sounds VERY believable and awesome!

I am looking forward to seeing the score, when finished. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Last edited:
Alexander, not to deflect from this discussion (which has been excellent), but I am almost done with the Sibelius score of 'Polychordal' .. would you like to create a play-through video of that one?

Hey there :),

I didn´t heard for quite a time from you and I thought you were busy so I didn´t want to bother with questions regarding the older polychordal deep space track, but sure I would love to see what you have done so far? I hope the stuff brought you also some good insight?

The MIDI you get out of Sibelius sounds fantastic. I purchased Sibelius after a long hiatus about six months ago and have found manipulating the MIDI to be an incredible pain which has really slowed my progress in getting back into the software and trying to shift some of my workflows out of Logic.

I was very surprised to see the opening passage marked forte for three trumpets? From the MIDI anyway, I took this to be a sort of echo of the Alexander Courage theme (over the deep drone etc). It's all relative of course but three trumpets at that dynamic seem too loud for the entrance.

I will doublecheck that this week. And thank you for pointing that out. I need still to revise the whole score sheet and of course I have to check dynamics as well. Thank you for the interest here.

I am so extremely impressed of this track. Totally blown away!!

Sounds 100% like a real orchestra.

New year orchestra of Vienna!

GREAT work Alex! You should be proud! Just love the horns, brass and the theme.

Kudos!

Thank you Mads.
I appreciate such words, but I know it always can be better. Some stuff work quite well with that samples here, some others totally not, but that´s either imcapability in programming or limitations of samples sometimes too.

I agree with you @AlexanderSchiborr about the strings. They sound great to me. The sound is a bit more aggressive than the Spitfire sound, but that does not make it bad or unrealistic. A pro recording/mixing engineer can make real strings sound darker or brighter, silky smooth or harsh. The thing that makes samples sound synthy to me is when the phrasing is not musical or the mixing is bad. That does not apply to your work. This piece sounds VERY believable and awesome!

I am looking forward to seeing the score, when finished. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Fingers crossed but hopefully withhin the next 3 weeks. Doug is actually pretty busy and I have work these days on the some corrections in the track (according to his input).

@AlexanderSchiborr : Great piece of music ! What you can achieve with libraries only is outstanding.
And thanks a lot for sharing the score, this is not only very kind, but also a very good way to study for beginners like me :)

Hey there :),

I didn´t heard for quite a time from you and I thought you were busy so I didn´t want to bother with questions regarding the older polychordal deep space track, but sure I would love to see what you have done so far? I hope the stuff brought you also some good insight?

I will doublecheck that this week. And thank you for pointing that out. I need still to revise the whole score sheet and of course I have to check dynamics as well. Thank you for the interest here.

Thank you Mads.
I appreciate such words, but I know it always can be better. Some stuff work quite well with that samples here, some others totally not, but that´s either imcapability in programming or limitations of samples sometimes too.

Fingers crossed but hopefully withhin the next 3 weeks. Doug is actually pretty busy and I have work these days on the some corrections in the track (according to his input).

Sure … I’m learning a lot with Polychordal. First of all, I find the music very inspiring. Since I now have a score I can read, it makes it easy to analyze the musical flow, e.g. transitioning from active to lyrical parts (angry musical surface to smooth surface), interesting harmonic progressions and instrumental gestures .. lots of things.

In addition, because of the nature of the task – taking the MIDI file of a track implemented mainly with Spitfire Symph Orchestra and creating a rendition in Sibelius that drives the VSL Special Edition equivalent voices – I’m getting good insight into the following practical considerations:

· How particular Spitfire SSO voices are used in combination to create tension, swells, soft passages, tri-tonic fanfares … all the goodies that are in Polychordal J

· When to employ solo, a2 and a6 versions of voices

· What the equivalent VSL voices sound like in comparison to Spitfire … including their placement on the MIR stage compared to the Spitfire mic selections. As an example, viz. articulation, the Spitfire horns can have just a bit more punch in the attack, for which I need to use an ‘sfz’ marking in Sibelius to trigger the VSL sfz patch to get the same effect.

I’m happy to say that, IMO, you can take a MIDI file that drives Spitfire SSO and implement the same music in VSL driven by a Sibelius score, by just transcribing the same MIDI notes and adding reasonable score markings. Do they sound exactly the same? …. No. Spitfire strings are more lush and brass is bolder. Could I get them closer by spending time tweaking the VSL parameters? .. undoubtedly. [For those of us who are notation-based, parameter tweaking can result in lots of messy score markings … for which I liberally use the Hide feature of Sibelius]

I should be finished with the score in a few weeks.

Alex I just heard this now! I freaking love this piece! Influences of Silvestri (but also Poledouris?) and you mix it all up in a wonderful original piece.

I am only going to tell you one thing, which I know you won't like to hear but you know that both of us are No-BS! people... you just have to do your final mockups on the grid... The issue is not the tempo changes but that the instruments don't sound tightly enough together as if they are being directed by a conductor throughout the tempo changes. Sometimes different instruments have different tempos and they only "catch up" to each other at the downbeat, etc., a real orchestra grooves together more because everyone is listening to each other. This is the ONLY element of realism I think your mockup is lacking, otherwise it is INTERSTELLAR :)

I made the following rough MIDI tempo map for you (see attached ZIP file) which contains all the tempos in your mockup, but on the grid (please note it starts at the downbeat of the music, not the beginning of the audio file). I think this works in Sibelius too, so maybe Doug can import it if he wishes, and will have the MIDI playback sound even more like your mockup.

In any case, the next time you have a piano sketch you're going to orchestrate, just send it to me and I'll make a tempo track for you before you orchestrate! It'll be so easy, I promise :)

Attachments

• Alexander_Excelsior_TEMPO.mid.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Alex I just heard this now! I freaking love this piece! Influences of Silvestri (but also Poledouris?) and you mix it all up in a wonderful original piece.

I am only going to tell you one thing, which I know you won't like to hear but you know that both of us are No-BS! people... you just have to do your final mockups on the grid... The issue is not the tempo changes but that the instruments don't sound tightly enough together as if they are being directed by a conductor throughout the tempo changes. Sometimes different instruments have different tempos and they only "catch up" to each other at the downbeat, etc., a real orchestra grooves together more because everyone is listening to each other. This is the ONLY element of realism I think your mockup is lacking, otherwise it is INTERSTELLAR :)

I made the following rough MIDI tempo map for you (see attached ZIP file) which contains all the tempos in your mockup, but on the grid (please note it starts at the downbeat of the music, not the beginning of the audio file). I think this works in Sibelius too, so maybe Doug can import it if he wishes, and will have the MIDI playback sound even more like your mockup.

In any case, the next time you have a piano sketch you're going to orchestrate, just send it to me and I'll make a tempo track for you before you orchestrate! It'll be so easy, I promise :)

Wow, cool! :) I think thats great idea here and I will try that out now because I anyways need to go back to the piece and change some spots according to Dougs input so that it translates better to the real thing but luckily nothing major that I found out. So I can just import the tempo map into my cubase project or how that goes? I use cubase 6.5 64 bit and I know how I can import things, I think also xml tempo maps?
And thank for the compliment regarding the other. I know you have very good ears in both regards (composition and sound mockup)..

Last edited:
Sure … I’m learning a lot with Polychordal. First of all, I find the music very inspiring. Since I now have a score I can read, it makes it easy to analyze the musical flow, e.g. transitioning from active to lyrical parts (angry musical surface to smooth surface), interesting harmonic progressions and instrumental gestures .. lots of things.

In addition, because of the nature of the task – taking the MIDI file of a track implemented mainly with Spitfire Symph Orchestra and creating a rendition in Sibelius that drives the VSL Special Edition equivalent voices – I’m getting good insight into the following practical considerations:

· How particular Spitfire SSO voices are used in combination to create tension, swells, soft passages, tri-tonic fanfares … all the goodies that are in Polychordal J

· When to employ solo, a2 and a6 versions of voices

· What the equivalent VSL voices sound like in comparison to Spitfire … including their placement on the MIR stage compared to the Spitfire mic selections. As an example, viz. articulation, the Spitfire horns can have just a bit more punch in the attack, for which I need to use an ‘sfz’ marking in Sibelius to trigger the VSL sfz patch to get the same effect.

I’m happy to say that, IMO, you can take a MIDI file that drives Spitfire SSO and implement the same music in VSL driven by a Sibelius score, by just transcribing the same MIDI notes and adding reasonable score markings. Do they sound exactly the same? …. No. Spitfire strings are more lush and brass is bolder. Could I get them closer by spending time tweaking the VSL parameters? .. undoubtedly. [For those of us who are notation-based, parameter tweaking can result in lots of messy score markings … for which I liberally use the Hide feature of Sibelius]

I should be finished with the score in a few weeks.

Wow cool, that is exactly why I do that and share everything because here you mentioned such great. I am looking forward to the score and if you feel to let me know that there is something which doesn´t translate well, just say something, it is all easy and good. And if you like more after that..I am actually in the making of that here, still a sketch orchestra phase though.

The Quest is the projecttitle.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yp0pkb4ibkf7fpw/AS_Comp_The_Quest_Orch_Sketch_template_v7.mp3?dl=0

Last edited:
Good structure, good amount of content, accessible but still interesting; mock-up is solid enough. I just don’t personally like the song (maybe it’s not my style).

What I really like, and want to hear more of is the transitional section around 2:05—2:08; not sure how far this could expand out.

Top Bottom