What's new

The end of Albion 2 Loegria?

I wonder if they haven't made this decision based on server space. Maybe after selling well initially, the library has only sold a few units the past couple of years, and Spitfire has decided that it's not worth the server space to keep a library that is hardly going to sell.

No, the statements they made make it seem like it is coming back in some other form - either on their own player or updated like Albion One.

I wonder if they haven't made this decision based on server space. Maybe after selling well initially, the library has only sold a few units the past couple of years, and Spitfire has decided that it's not worth the server space to keep a library that is hardly going to sell.

Server space costs almost nothing. And judging from discussion her during the last 40% sale, its still something that people are buying (and for good reason, it really does hold up as a niche library).

I'd be shocked if this end-of-lifeing is for another reason than they have something better in store ...

... which I have the believe includes new woodwinds!

Server space costs almost nothing. And judging from discussion her during the last 40% sale, its still something that people are buying (and for good reason, it really does hold up as a niche library).

I'd be shocked if this end-of-lifeing is for another reason than they have something better in store ...

... which I have the believe includes new woodwinds!
So softer version of Albion One with both soft winds and brass to go along with the very nice strings that are already in Loegria, perhaps adding split violins like they did with the celli in Iceni? There would be a certain logic: Iceni gives the extreme louds, Tundra the extreme softs, Albion One gives the loud ensemble orchestra, Two the soft ensemble orchestra...

it's not really standalone since you open them within Komplete Kontrol

(more like a wrapper)

Only if you want to use the NKS functionality. They aren’t Kontakt instruments, so you have the option to open them as any other plugin, without KK. So why can’t Spitfires non Kontakt plugins be also NKS? I assume there is a cost to them for doing it.

So softer version of Albion One with both soft winds and brass to go along with the very nice strings that are already in Loegria, perhaps adding split violins like they did with the celli in Iceni? There would be a certain logic: Iceni gives the extreme louds, Tundra the extreme softs, Albion One gives the loud ensemble orchestra, Two the soft ensemble orchestra...

Yes, I think that by Albion 5 (which really hits it out of the park) the concept of the Albions has really has really been refined. Not that the sackbuts and recorders aren’t beautiful in their own way, but it it’s a slightly different niche not quite aliged that newly refined concept of the Albion’s (possibly excepting 4, which I don’t don’t understand well).

Perhaps even splitting the recorders and sackbuts into a separate Albion - maybe Albion 6: the ‘at the edge of ye jolly old England’ orchestra? That could be fun also.

What this hinges on for me is what A2 does that genuinely complements SCS, and particularly if whatever that is that Albion 2 does so well and so uniquely can be extended to the winds.

Okay
So l'll take Albion 2 before Albion 1...

Caveat is the winds. If I’d know buying Albion one was going make sample libraries so addictive, and indeed make it all but impossible to not buy SSW, then I would certainly have picked up two instead of one.

But as a stand alone ensemble (that I was looking at to replace VSL SE), it’s not that the recorders aren’l lovely in their own right .. just that they’re not quite what you need in your first orchestral ensemble library.

Only if you want to use the NKS functionality. They aren’t Kontakt instruments, so you have the option to open them as any other plugin, without KK. So why can’t Spitfires non Kontakt plugins be also NKS? I assume there is a cost to them for doing it.
As far as I understand it, they could be, though to get the NKS functionality the plug in would have to be opened within Komplete Kontrol. The Arturia Analog Lab opens in KK with NKS functionality. And the Spitfire player also opens in KK with knobs mapped and labeled but not the keyboard guide-lights. I've been told NI does not charge to have instruments NKS compatible, so presumably there is another reason SF has chosen not to use the guide-lights.

I have fallen in love with the magical flautando strings but had always problems with the rebowing at the wrong places. I wish they could revise it in a newer version.

Nothing... and, technically it's not "end of life'ing" it's simply EOS (end of sale).

It's not like your copy stops working on April 17th... if it did, well... then... that would be EOL... :sneaky: ;) :cool:
Will we get support? And for how long? Will we be able to continue to download the product? Will future versions of Kontakt be supported, if there's a problem in K7 will they fix it? Will compatibility issues with NI/Access be addressed or will they wash their hands of it, etc. because it's discontinued product?

SFA should let customers know the impact of this change.

Last edited:
Top Bottom